New BX2380 - BIG problem...looking for some advice

KubotaMaxx

Aug 31, 2019
Ohio
Brand new tractor (BX2380, 60” MMM, FEL, QA Bucket, 3FLV and LP GRAPPLE. Just hit ten hours...in those ten hours I’ve had to have the tractor hauled back to the shop twice. First time for poorly routed and improperly installed hydraulic lines and fittings that were spewing hydraulic fluid out of the connections. Dealer has been great taking care of it re-routing properly securing and addressing some other concerns I had at the time. Got it back and day 2 I’m using it and I hear a “POP” So immediately power down, lower everything, set brake and turn key to inspect but tractor won’t shut down. Used the shut off lever under the hood and shut her down - everything looks fine so I tried to start the tractor and nothing. I checked the fuses and the slow blow - all good. Checked battery - no good, stone dead. Took battery out ran to dealer they checked it, confirmed the pop I heard was the battery internally coming apart, gave me a new battery and sent me on my way. Hooking up new battery, proper cables to proper terminals, key off, and boom I’ve got smoke rolling off the hydraulic lines on my FEL. I disconnected the battery immediately ran to grab fire extinguisher and moved my truck away...fortunately the smoke dissipated and when I felt it was safe to approach the tractor I snapped some pics and took some video of what was happening...NEVER have I scene anything like this. It’s like the new battery was somehow charging the hydraulic lines or fluid...called dealer and they came and got it immediately. I explained that I have major concerns of irreparable damage to electronics and hydraukic(lines, seals,etc...) and they are supposedly contacting kubota. Nobody had ever scene anything like this... I’m looking for some advice from hose more knowledgeable than I on hydraulics...with heat like that am I right to be concerned?

Here’s a pic of the melted covering on the hydraulic lines but for some reason I can’t post the video;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I suspect you have a problem with your battery ground cable.

Possibly it does not have a good clean connection where it attached to the engine block. Pictures have been posted on this forum where engine paint was under the battery ground attachment and the bolt was the only ground path.

Hydraulic hose is reinforced with steel wire and will conduct electricity.

One of several possible scenarios would be that as you tried to crank engine, power from battery was getting to the starter but it did not have a good return path back to the battery negative post. Or, there are issues with the engine stop solenoid and it is seeking a way to get its power back to the battery.

The hydraulic pump and its lines became the return path but not being designed for the high current, they began to heat up.

Likely far more dramatic than damaging.

Dave

Last edited:

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I'm curious about this "shut off lever" you mention. Not familiar with that option. Is that standard among Kubotas?

KubotaMaxx

Aug 31, 2019
Ohio
I suspect you have a problem with your battery ground cable.

Possibly it does not have a good clean connection where it attached to the engine block. Pictures have been posted on this forum where engine paint was under the battery ground attachment and the bolt was the only ground path.

Hydraulic hose is reinforced with steel wire and will conduct electricity.

One of several possible scenarios would be that as you tried to crank engine, power from battery was getting to the starter but it did not have a good return path back to the battery negative post. Or, there are issues with the engine stop solenoid and it is seeking a way to get its power back to the battery.

The hydraulic pump and its lines became the return path but not being designed for the high current, they began to heat up.

Likely far more dramatic than damaging.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback - agreed! But still concerning to me due to the hydraulics and pressure in those lines...

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If the dealer has contacted Kubota corporate they will probably decide between themselves what will be replaced under warranty. You should press for new hydraulic lines as the heat MAY have damaged the lines under the steel. Of course they may not want to mess with it and just give you a new tractor, but don't count on it.

KubotaMaxx

Aug 31, 2019
Ohio
If the dealer has contacted Kubota corporate they will probably decide between themselves what will be replaced under warranty. You should press for new hydraulic lines as the heat MAY have damaged the lines under the steel. Of course they may not want to mess with it and just give you a new tractor, but don't count on it.

Yeah, I’m not holding my breathe! Supposed to hear from the service manager today so guess we’ll see what they have to say...

68Cam454

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, box blade. MMM
Dec 22, 2017
Mulino, Oregon

I have searched my owners manual (BX2680) and the shop manual and cant find any reference to a "stop lever". My owners manual doesn't have the drawing you show in your previous post. In the written section it just says to contact Kubota if it wont turn off but no mention of a stop lever.......weird??? I will have to go look tomorrow to see if there is any lever on that side of the engine.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have searched my owners manual (BX2680) and the shop manual and cant find any reference to a "stop lever". My owners manual doesn't have the drawing you show in your previous post. In the written section it just says to contact Kubota if it wont turn off but no mention of a stop lever.......weird??? I will have to go look tomorrow to see if there is any lever on that side of the engine.
A BX 2680 doesn't have an external stop lever. Different engine than BX2360 with a different shutoff solenoid setup.