M4000 Head Gasket

sitdwnandhngon

Equipment
B7100
Aug 25, 2015
NY, USA
Anyone have any idea where to order a head gasket for an M4000?

The tractor is burning coolant and overheating, so I want to pull the head off it soon, but want to have a new gasket ready to go (I'm hoping it's the gasket causing the problems).

Can't seem to find one online though, anyone have a lead on where to get them?

Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Do the job once and have the head checked for cracks and flatness before you put the head hack on. Have you by chance ever over heated the engine?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I got a gasket and shim ordered. Does anyone know the torque pattern and spec for the head bolts?
Only use the shim if the setup your taking out has it, otherwise you will lower the compression too much.

The head bolts are 58 FT lbs wet, so a little oil on the threads before inserting the bolts.

I don't have a picture of the sequence for the S2200 but it's the same as the v engines:

Attachments

sitdwnandhngon

Equipment
B7100
Aug 25, 2015
NY, USA
Only use the shim if the setup your taking out has it, otherwise you will lower the compression too much.

The head bolts are 58 FT lbs wet, so a little oil on the threads before inserting the bolts.

I don't have a picture of the sequence for the S2200 but it's the same as the v engines:

Thanks.

The kit I bought has both the shim and gasket, I'll only replace what comes out though.

sitdwnandhngon

Equipment
B7100
Aug 25, 2015
NY, USA
Got it all done today, running good again.

It was a very obvious head gasket failure between the 3rd and 4th cylinders, it had disintegrated right out to the coolant port.

It needs an oil change, but we moved a few round bales with it to bring it up to operating temp, everything seems to be working fine.

It's a really well designed engine on those things as far as repairs go, everything is very easy to access and the steps to get it apart are logical, no hard to reach bolts or nuts.

sitdwnandhngon

Equipment
B7100
Aug 25, 2015
NY, USA
Same here!
Did you find out why it blew out there?
Does the factory recommend a re-torque after so many hours?
It did look like it had been replaced at some point in the past, so my best guess is either an aftermarket gasket (like mentioned before) or improper installation, we did have to clean off what looked like RTV where the gasket was stuck to the head.

He's owned it for 3 years now, so it held up at least that long, we will just have to see what happens at this point.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
It did look like it had been replaced at some point in the past, so my best guess is either an aftermarket gasket (like mentioned before) or improper installation, we did have to clean off what looked like RTV where the gasket was stuck to the head.

He's owned it for 3 years now, so it held up at least that long, we will just have to see what happens at this point.
Were you able to straight edge the head and block? Especially the blown out area before installing the head?