Rust on a brand new tractor

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
I just took delivery (yesterday) of a brand new Kubota M62 that was shipped from Louisiana. Upon arrival, I noticed rust on many bolts, etc. I placed some rust remover and probably not a big deal. However, the grill guard does have a piece where the paint has come off and rust took over. This probably will require a repaint. Wondered if anyone can comment and tell me if this is possibly covered through warranty or if I just need to repair on my own.

Appreciate any input.

H

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
When I was shopping around to decide which Kubota model to buy some years ago, I went to a number of dealerships just to look; and noticed some tractors sitting outside long enough that plastics had begun to UV fade and paint showing some weather exposure.

When I went to buy, I insisted on seeing the specific tractor on the lot (there were several BX2230s there), chose the tractor and insisted on putting that tractor serial number on the sales contract.

From what I saw this is probably not uncommon for slower moving dealership inventories .... as to remedies, may be some one else has some experience to offer.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I'd contact the dealer and make them make it right. I'm sure that the M62 wasn't cheap. My $0.02 worth

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Kubota "might" cover it....and this post will get long, and is worth a read for "any" sort of potential warranty repair.

Rust is one of those issues that could be caused from several things, ranging from-but not limited to-rust under the powder coat, which causes it to de-bond from the base metal, could also be scratches from shipping, dealer storage, dealer transportation, and anytime there's bare steel involved, it'll likely rust. Different parts of the country will show corrosion/rust faster than other parts, and different alloys will rust faster than others. Bare cast iron, freshly machined, will rust almost immediately...within seconds it starts to turn from gray to orange once it's truly "bare". 4340 steel will also rust but it takes a lot longer than, say, 1010 steel does. You get the idea.

Now then...the process of getting warranty coverage. You're going to have to visit your selling dealer and discuss it with them first and foremost. If they say no way, tell them to take pictures, then submit them to Kubota warranty department for pre-approval. If they refuse to do that, you can (1) go to another dealer and make the same request or (2) call Kubota's customer service line, with the details of your dealer visit(s) and their reactions.

Now the question that was asked in the original post was a little vague, especially without a photo. On a grill guard, it shouldn't have much bare metal on it. If it does, either the coating (paint) was applied too thin, or the rust started under the coating, or...the grill guard was used as a tie down point, scratching the coating off causing rust to form. If the latter, that is a dealer's (or owner's) responsibility-depending on who put the chain/straps across it without any sort of protection between the chains and the tractor parts. I have seen them come in on transporters directly from Kubota's warehouses, and the driver states that the chains were put on like that when he got to the truck. Fine, but he IS responsible for his load, and if it's damaged in any way, he's at fault until he can pass the buck back to whoever did it originally. And if that's the case, the dealer who accepted the load should have documented any damage so that dealer could not be held liable for the cost of repair. As it is, Kubota doesn't generally "like" to pay for shipping damages or missing parts, for whatever reasons. Sometimes they'll put it back on the dealer, and if they do, the dealer can handle it a lot of different ways...from telling to go pound sand, or they'll replace the part at their cost....or they'll send you on your way with a can of spray paint. All depends on the dealer and how they want to handle it.

BUT...if you can prove that the rust is UNDER the powder coat, and the coating is peeling off because of it, then Kubota "should" pick up the tab on it. Still has to go through the pre-approval process which takes time, and requires pictures. So be aware of that. That's how warranty works. A defect has to be proven to the manufacturer--and this goes for any warranty claim, period, non dependent on what type or brand. If a defect can't be proven, then they won't help.

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
Friend of mine had his new BX delivered and he noticed a small scratch on the rear fender pan, nothing I would have worried about but he did so he called the dealer and they picked it back up and had the whole rear fender unit painted. No problem at all :) good service I really think we are lucky to have this dealer close by.

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
In my opinion, the rust was based solely on location (Louisiana). I made purchase sight unseen, although the salesman did send me pics n assured me that he saw no damage to the tractor anywhere, I agreed to the purchase. He indicated the tractor had been on the lot since 2016 n thus had a small amt of area(s) where the paint might have faded a bit. The edges around the decals do seem to be worn, which I attribute to the sun's rays and several bolts and other metal parts also appear to have some rust. I spoke to the local dealer about this and he indicated rust is not an item warranted by Kubota.

On the other hand, I did purchase the tractor as a new unit with 12 hrs on it (I was told it was simply due to moving the unit around the lot over the last two years) n was told that a 12 month bumper to bumper warranty would be in place.

You are correct, this was not an inexpensive tractor. I think I can live with some rust on some bolts and I have added rust remover/preventive spray to at least stop any continued rust. Luckily we don't have any rust issues where I live.

H

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
Here is a pic of the area that is rusted on grill guard.

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
Looks like serious rust to me. I'd remove the paint, sandblast it , prime it and then a good paint job. Just guessing but looks to me like a poor paint job to begin with.

Holiday009

Equipment
ZD28
Apr 24, 2018
Ohio
I agree with what ghec said, location has a lot to do with it.

Sitting outside at the dealership for however long. They should make it right though.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
I,m kinda surprised your dealer didn,t remove the guard and have it sand blasted and re-painted on his own, before you even got to see it in that condition. It wouldn,t have cost a hundred dollars, and would have been great PR. He could of taken before and after pics. I think that would of went a long ways in showing what kind of dealer they truly are.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Was it bad of the selling dealer to send it out like that, yep, reflects poorly on them and Kubota Corp.
I would just deal with it, it's not anything a rust destroyer, a piece of sand paper, and a can of spray paint won't cure, and in way less time and headache than trying to get they to deal with it. ;)
If you wanna try and get them to make it right, tell them to send you some spray paint!

Last edited:

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
I sent dealer pic n his response was simply that he missed it when he looked the tractor over. Dealership is about 900 miles from me. Therefore, will have to deal with it n just sand n repaint it. Bolts throughout are also rusted. However, don't think that will be a big deal. I already put some rust remover throughout n don't think I will have a problem.

However, they should address it somehow but I won't hold my breath. Hopefully no other surprises.

RoseHillMS

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 HST 4wd
Apr 10, 2017
MS
I sent dealer pic n his response was simply that he missed it when he looked the tractor over. Dealership is about 900 miles from me. Therefore, will have to deal with it n just sand n repaint it. Bolts throughout are also rusted. However, don't think that will be a big deal. I already put some rust remover throughout n don't think I will have a problem.

However, they should address it somehow but I won't hold my breath. Hopefully no other surprises.

Where was this dealer in Louisiana? I’m curious because the comment about location is intriguing. I live in Louisiana (and no I’m not offended about the comment) and have purchased cars, trucks and work vehicles in Louisiana and several different states and the only way I can tell the difference is if it comes from up north in the snow. They’re always rusted when they come from the north. I can’t imagine any vehicle sitting out on a lot in the weather for 2 years and not show rust. Looks like a shoddy paint job more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
Dealer was in Lake Charles. Tractor had been sitting on lot for about 2 years. I live in West Texas and we have no humidity. Equipment could sit out for many years here and still show no signs of rust.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
Your dealership is 900 miles away? Whoa! Sure makes it difficult to resolve any issues. In your case, I'd say handling that little problem on your own is the most cost-effective solution. Look at the bright side, too--it probably won't rust any more in West Texas.

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
I finally got a chance to go through some more of the tractor (M62) and decided to put some rubbing compound on the body to bring back the paint. I discovered there are a lot of small areas and bolts that I had not previously seen that also have rust. I opened the hood and found a part that sits on top of fuel tank that is very rusted and needs replacing (possibly the sending unit to read the amount of fuel in tank), along with the o-rings within each of the cylinders on both loader as well as backhoe that are mostly missing and/or need to be replaced. Don't know if these o-rings are a big deal. Nevertheless, I am disappointed in spending a fortune in what appears to be issues that one normally finds in a used tractor. Also, most all of the decals are either fading or cracked and need to be replaced. There may be some additional issues such as condensation in fuel tank that I have not yet confirmed (although it appears to run ok). I previously mentioned that the local dealer has indicated that Kubota does not cover issues associated with rust. All of these issues are undoubtedly because of humidity and the amt of time the tractor sat outside unprotected. Unit is a 2016 model.

I had numerous conversations with the salesman and at no point did he point out any of these issues only to say the tractor was brand new. He sent me several pics. However, they were all from distance and no close up shots of anything.

The dealer continues to bug me to send him the form that indicates I have received tractor, manuals, etc. I am tempted to tell him the only thing I will return is a subpoena to appear in court and see if a small claims court judge can provide some remedy for some of the issues I have found. Dealer indicated that given I got a great deal on tractor, they can't or won't even provide me with touch up paint.

I would appreciate any thoughts on what some of you might do. I am afraid to keep assessing the condition of the tractor in fear of finding more rusted parts or other issues.

H

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
The additional pics are looking really bad, especially the first photo.. I would be highly PO'd for a company to attempt to deliver a new product to me in this condition.

Things that might be really difficult to remedy thorough legal channels are sometimes more effectively dealt with through broader public disclosure of just what has happened here. e.g. Is Kubota delivering new product in this condition consistent with their values and public image, especially when viewed in the broader light of day ?

If your local TV news has trouble shooter types that investigate consumer issues, calling them to come out and look at your "new" tractor and resulting publicity might lead to a more amendable solution.

Who's to know the tractor hasn't had flood damage?

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would go to your nearest Kubota dealer and find out from them who at Kubota Corp. do I need to contact to get help with this problem. This would let that dealer know of the problem and since they will not step in, go up the ladder.

I would have an arsenal of pictures and correspondence with the selling dealer saying they won't provide a can of spray paint and make sure every contact I made saw them.

The dealer who sold the tractor may have given you a good deal money wise, but you should have been made aware of the "less than new condition".

I think I'd be PO'd enough to tell Kubota to come up with a solution that suits me or I would contact the local TV stations who look for, and enjoy, doing report of situations where consumers are taken advantage of. (I would only do this if Kubota Corp. refuses to help).

All companies have a line item in their budget for advertising. The publicity of problems left unsolved, like this, negates all the positive they try to do. Remind them of this. It may help to motive them.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Point 1 is that the tractor works - it meets "substantial performance." Rust and cosmetic issues will not be considered by a Texas court, at least what your pictures show.

Point 2, let's say that you go to war over a can of spray paint. Assuming that you buy your parts by mail, and have a good diesel tractor mechanic; what about warranty work? If you go to war over a can of paint, there will never be room in the dealer shop for you as a customer. Why would a dealer put up with that? Something to consider.

The o-rings are there as paint masks, they are not functional.

The top of the fuel level sender looks like that on most machines.

You can purchase decals from Coleman or Messicks by internet order and replace the ones which you think need replacing.

In 50 hours you will be replacing a bunch of filters and doing other scheduled maintenance work. There is a fair amount of upkeep work required. You've bought an ag tractor, not a tiara.