RC44G deck problems

ctaylor738

Equipment
G5200 with RC44G
Oct 13, 2019
Falls Church & Orange VA
Hello, new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while and have picked up some useful information, thank you.

A couple of years ago, a friend took his G5200 in for routine service and the shop backed into it with a pickup truck. He negotiated a settlement in which he was able to keep the damaged tractor and he donated to my son for use at his farm. I repaired the tractor and it looks a bit beat-up but runs OK.

Current problems are that only one blade is cutting, and that the mower deck has a rust hole maybe 4" square in the front. Took it to the dealer and they refused to work on it because of "liability issues" due to the rust hole.

I believe that I can fix the problems with the blades, but I worry about the rust hole. A new deck is $1500 and change, and all the used ones are far away.

I have access to a very talented welder. My question is, can the hole be safely patched, and will the mower be safe to use?

Thanks,

Charles

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ctaylor738, welcome to the forum.

Your question, "I have access to a very talented welder. My question is, can the hole be safely patched, and will the mower be safe to use?

Just fine to weld it up. A talented welder can cut, replace and get you back in order. Just because the dealer objects to the repair in no way indicates it can not be done, and done safely!

After you have 5 post you can then post pictures. So keep the conversation going and then show us some pictures.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
I have the 48 inch version of that deck. I cut out the rot and welded new metal in with a harbor freight welder. It can be done. As for the deck only cutting with one blade, must be the center blade and the to tensioner must be missing it's spring. These decks tend to misalign the tentioner due to the stud from the deck will bend. Especially common with decks that rot out. I was able to straighten mine and purchased a bushing and tensioner kit from Kubota that adds a greasable pivot to the stud. Just a heads up, parts for these are extremely expensive. I spent several hundred rebuilding the deck with new bearings, pulleys and the like. You mentioned a new deck for fifteen hundred. I can tell you they do not exist..,anywhere.

Chris

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Definitely fixable.

The hole in the deck could be adding to the cutting issue, but it sounds like you don***8217;t have tension as the middle blade is connected to the gearbox and PTO from the tractor. Tighten up the tensioner on the deck if you have room and see if that fixes it before buying a new spring or belt. Yes sadly, parts for these are $$$.

When I fixed mine up, the issue went right to the tensioner on the front of the tractor that engages with the PTO lever. Fixed all that and everything was good to go. Obviously start with sharp blades too so you know that***8217;s not an issue.