Woods mower PTO shaft issues

jchonig

Equipment
L4701DT w/LA765
Oct 4, 2019
Ithaca, NY
jch.honig.net
I'm having trouble using my Woods RM660 (1997 vintage) on my new L4701.

I've always had a bit of trouble with the button on the RM660 PTO shaft, I had to press it real hard to get it to come off.

First time I used it on the new tractor it went on fine. The usual trouble getting it off.

Now I can not get it to go on more than an in or so. It doesn't seem to be the lock mechanism, but I can't tell while it's on the tractor. I think I'd need a spare tractor PTO drive to figure this out.

Anyone run into this and have a solution?

Thanks.

Jeff

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
i think it is time for a new front yoke and u-joint;)

betting the pin is either bent or worn, think the last one i bought through dealer was 45$ and u-joint was <20

jchonig

Equipment
L4701DT w/LA765
Oct 4, 2019
Ithaca, NY
jch.honig.net
Well the Woods one is $132 from Messicks!

I have hated the design of this one since day one. I like the one on the BB72 better (no pin, but a sleeve that you pull back on).

Thanks.

Jeff

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Try a light coat of grease on the PTO on the tractor side. A bit of light oil or WD-40 on the button will help, too. Work the button several times before attempting to connect the shaft. Putting the old PTO shaft onto the new tractor the PTO splines will have less wear and alignment will become more critical. You may be able to get a whole new driveshaft for what Messick's wants for one end. My old shaft was too short for the new tractor so I purchased a complete unit.

jchonig

Equipment
L4701DT w/LA765
Oct 4, 2019
Ithaca, NY
jch.honig.net
Roadworthy,

Good idea. However the new tractor came with the PTO shaft well greased.

When not on the shaft the pin visually appears to work just fine.

I was just at my friend's looking at his BX and figured out that the PTO shield on the tractor swings up out of the way! I learned something new today!

Thanks.

Jeff

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jeff, spritz the push button generously with PB blaster or some such product, and spay some inside the splines where the pin slides. Push the pin in and out several times. I think if you're patient you can get it to work.

That thing is ONLY 12 years old! I've had those things nearly seized up and worked them over to get them to work. I can't remember replacing one.

I've actually had more difficulty with the new fangled style than the one you have. On that new style you have to pull the spring loaded ring back towards the implement and you push the PTO shaft forward at the same time. That's awkward for me at least.

Patience is a virtue!!!:D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Jeff, spritz the push button generously with PB blaster or some such product, and spay some inside the splines where the pin slides. Push the pin in and out several times. I think if you're patient you can get it to work.

That thing is ONLY 12 years old! I've had those things nearly seized up and worked them over to get them to work. I can't remember replacing one.

I've actually had more difficulty with the new fangled style than the one you have. On that new style you have to pull the spring loaded ring back towards the implement and you push the PTO shaft forward at the same time. That's awkward for me at least.

Patience is a virtue!!!:D
Tell me about it. How my round baler is set up and I hate it. I prefer the pin but like you said, lubrication is everything.

jchonig

Equipment
L4701DT w/LA765
Oct 4, 2019
Ithaca, NY
jch.honig.net
I actually prefer the colar on my Woods Brush Bull. And looking at Messick's parts I see that is the preferred replacement for the finish mower.

My second biggest problem with the finish mower is lining up the splines. With the Brush Bull I can usually spin the PTO shaft by hand enough to line up the splines. With the finish mower I need to go back and forth between moving the cutting blades and trying to get it on.

I pulled the PTO shaft off the mower and am going to try to clean it off and get it to fit. If not, it's time for a new york.

Oh, and by my math, it's 22 years old...

Thanks.

Jeff

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yep, my math was off! Still, it'll work fine. Take a flat file and dress the splines to get all the rust and dings knocked down. Clean it real good and then add some more PB Blaster!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The push pin could have some junk around it keeping from pushing in all the way. Also, if can be replaced if it is burred up at all.

jchonig

Equipment
L4701DT w/LA765
Oct 4, 2019
Ithaca, NY
jch.honig.net
All.

So I sprayed the pin with PB Blaster and cleaned the yoke out with a couple passes of a rag and now it goes on and off very easily. The pin mechanism never appeared to be blocked in any way, but I sprayed some PB blaster on it anyway. Maybe there was some vegtable matter stuck in the grease in such a way as to jam against the splines. It sure felt like metal on metal.

I'll spray some silicone in the pin mechanism to keep it lubed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jeff

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not sure about your model Kubota but, on mine, with the engine off, if I engage the pto lever, it allows the pto shaft to rotate easily which makes lining things up much easier. I still prefer the push pin over the collar...lol