Have you ever

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
lost some thing 10 feet from where you know you had it? I gassed up the Husky walked 10 feet to the ash I was going to knock down and I lost the gas cap for the saw. I looked for 2 hours yesterday and today, now of course the cap is BLACK and leaf litter and stuff is all over and I even used a leaf rake to move things around. Now I have to find a gas cap, might be just easier to buy a new saw. Some days ya know what I mean?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Search on amazon with the model number and you can get one easily (most likely)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Try dumping the fuel back into the gas can and spill some on yourself. The cap will show up tomorrow morning on the fender of your tractor.:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
lost some thing 10 feet from where you know you had it?
All the time. I'm pretty sure that my garage here and at the cabin both contain doors to other dimensions. I will lay something down, walk 6ft to get a tool, and return to find whatever I set down has vanished. After I waste an hour searching, it usually reappears, right out in the open, in a place where I could not have possibly missed it.
Evil inter-dimensional gremlins are definitely at work.

Either that, or I have been senile for the last 30 years.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You must have an aftermarket gas cap anyways, buy a new one. The originals all have an attached line with a "T" on them to keep them in the vicinity of the opening!!!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
lost some thing 10 feet from where you know you had it? I gassed up the Husky walked 10 feet to the ash I was going to knock down and I lost the gas cap for the saw. I looked for 2 hours yesterday and today, now of course the cap is BLACK and leaf litter and stuff is all over and I even used a leaf rake to move things around. Now I have to find a gas cap, might be just easier to buy a new saw. Some days ya know what I mean?
yep!

I got one of these recently...worth every penny!

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Combi-Oil-Fuel-42-01/dp/B00T031DAE

oops. thought you meant that you lost the gas cap to the can....not the saw....never mind

Attachments

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My Stihl's are all tethered to the saw and I use one of those 'capless' gas cans where you depress the button in the back of the nozzle to fill the tank and the cap for the end is tethered to the dispenser end.

I'm like you, set something down, turn around and forget where I sat it. Do that all the time. Has to do with getting old.:eek:

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
The originals all have an attached line with a "T" on them to keep them in the vicinity of the opening!!!

First thing I did when I bought my saw was cut those lines off.
I found it to be a pain in the neck when filling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I'm having a lot of that lately. Putting in a new stove for my parents and everything is the same colour from the dust. I'm seriously thinking of getting a tool belt just to stop everything running away and hiding as soon as I leave it out of my hand :confused:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
In a 40 by 60 shop, I lose a lot of stuff. Be busy with something and the phone rings or a customer comes in or my tech hollers for help. I don't spend much time looking for what I've lost since I have an official " finder of lost things". My wife. I believe she could find a thumb tack.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Back in the 70s, we were running several International F2000Ds with 6-71 Detroit diesels in them. Working on them was a real PITA if it was on the rear of the engine because half the engine set back inside the cab. I was changing a blower drive shaft and some how lost a 3/8" drive 1/2" deep Snap-On socket. Looked everywhere but couldn't find it.
Fast forward about 10 years later, and a friend who had bought the truck stopped by one day and handed me the socket. He knew it was mine because it still had my initials engraved on it.
He found it laying in the right side engine mount when he was scrapping out the truck and pulled the engine out. Because of the shape of the mount, it had rolled under the edge of the bracket where it couldn't be seen from the top.
I still have the socket, and think about it's story every time I use it.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Yup, and the madder I get, the blinder I get. Luckily, my wife can find most of my lost items. The best way for me to find a lost item on my own is to go buy another one, and then I end up with 2.:eek:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a friend who works on big tractors, usually well over 100HP. I was visiting him one day and he was showing me some of the tractors he was working on. He had a big Case tractor, don't remember the model, but he had a plate off the side of the transmission (I think it was) and he showed the flashlight he found inside. It was a full size flashlight!

I'm currently selling a 3 pt chipper. I have at least one extra sharpening knife. I saw it three days ago. It was new, wrapped in cellophane with a small piece of white paper in the wrapper. I took it off the peg board, looked at it and put it in a place I could not miss! Four days later, I'm still looking for it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm currently selling a 3 pt chipper. I have at least one extra sharpening knife. I saw it three days ago. It was new, wrapped in cellophane with a small piece of white paper in the wrapper. I took it off the peg board, looked at it and put it in a place I could not miss! Four days later, I'm still looking for it.
I'm telling you, evil inter-dimensional gremlins are at work!

Lycomech96

Equipment
B2601, loader, backhoe
Nov 12, 2018
Williamsport, PA, USA
After my home was broken into and various valuables stolen, I would go to get a tool and not find it. SOB got it I guess, so I go and buy a new one. A few months later, I find the original, so now I have two.

I worked on small planes and started thinking about retiring when I would be working under one and needed a tool. I would painfully struggle up off the creeper, go to my tool box and then stand there and wonder what the hell I got up there for.

One time the owner of a twin engine plane told me he would occasionally hear some kind of clunking noise when making a turn on the ground. I checked all over the landing gear and found nothing out of order. A year or two later I was fixing a leak in the wet wing fuel tank and what did I find but a flashlight, in four pieces. The two D cells were out and the front cap was off. I researched the log books and found the previous mechanic who last worked in that tank. I asked the FAA reps to give me his address so I could send the parts back to him along with a copy of the log entry, but they said, "Just let it go."

Hue

Equipment
Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
Yup, and the madder I get, the blinder I get. Luckily, my wife can find most of my lost items. The best way for me to find a lost item on my own is to go buy another one, and then I end up with 2.:eek:
Yup, I have many duplicates. :mad:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Len,

I ran across a replacement chipper blade for my chipper and bought it as a spare. That was 15 years ago and it disappeared.

This week, I do long overdue MX on my chipper, pull out the old blade (great shape) and sharpen it. I go to my tool box and open a drawer and there is the new blade, in paper, inside a small zip loc bag!

I found it because I didn't need it! If I ever do need it, I'll never be able to find it!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A few months later, I find the original, so now I have two.
Yup, I have many duplicates.
In my case, I don't mind the duplicates so much, as I can use them at my place in the high country. It gets really frustrating when I work on something up there and think "I have the perfect tool for that job" only to realize that tool is at home, 150 miles away.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
"...only to realize that tool is at home, 150 miles away."

I fought my wife's urge to do a summer home in Flagstaff for 30 years. She finally came to her senses but having to buy duplicate tools for the"other" house was a real wake up call for her. She is used to me doing repairs as necessary and she knows, "no tool, no fix."