F3060 Glow Plug Issue

peterkelos

Feb 22, 2015
Ontario
My F3060 was working fine until it got colder. Fuel lines are good and not an issue but I think I have an issue with the glow plug controller/combination box. If I remove the lead to the glow plugs I get 12 volts. If I attach the lead to a glow plug I get no voltage. Has anyone experienced this kind of issue?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I suspect you'll find they are shielded glow plugs - the shield protecting the heating element, common for diesel engines. The common mode of failure is for the glow plug to short out instead of going open. When you energize the glow plug and it's shorted to ground your voltage is shunted to ground. If you hold the switch in the glow plug position you will burn it out withing a few minutes making an even more expensive repair. The glow plugs themselves are probably NGK brand. I mail order mine. Most actually require 9.5 volts, by the way.

peterkelos

Feb 22, 2015
Ontario
I figured out the problem - the wire coming off post 19 on the starter switch going to the glow plugs was broken. It had enough contact to give me 12 volts at the glow plugs, but when a load was put on it it shorted out. Opened up the loom, found the broken wire and soldered it together.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I figured out the problem - the wire coming off post 19 on the starter switch going to the glow plugs was broken. It had enough contact to give me 12 volts at the glow plugs, but when a load was put on it it shorted out. Opened up the loom, found the broken wire and soldered it together.
Good find and fix.

Thanks for reporting the root cause.