What will happen if guns get banned?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Though I'm a life member in the NRA and an annual member of GOA, the NRA has become just another corrupt organization with overpaid exec staff and is top heavy in management. 'Uncle' Wayne needs to go. No one is worth 1.3 million a year.

One thing that irritates me with the NRA is the constant pandering for money. They need it because they are pissing it away at a high rate of speed on inflated salaries, perks and retirement beneies.

I read somewhere $700,000 a day give or take.

Too bad really.
I was an NRA member as a teenager. We shot indoors on Weds evenings. I've got an envelope of pins and badges ;-)

Now, I pay the extra "insurance money" as part of the range membership rather than sending that same amount to the NRA. Seems like as organizations get big, they go sour. Like the Red Cross.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
"Like the Red Cross.". Lets include the Boy Scouts in that. I was an Eagle Scout and I'm extremely disgusted in what BSA has morphed into.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
"Like the Red Cross.". Lets include the Boy Scouts in that. I was an Eagle Scout and I'm extremely disgusted in what BSA has morphed into.
Too Big to fail, but they have failed.

My eldest son made Eagle. He had a very positive experience.

I wouldn't let my youngest son alone with the creeps who ran the scout troop only 6 years later. He saw the "difficulty" as well, and choose to not continue with scouting after about 6 months. He did GREAT in the pine wood derby though ;-)

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
things can always get crazier...

they arrested a dude for still having a bumpstock the other day.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There are FAR more ways to harm many people (crowd?) than a gun. FAR more and much more effective, using items purchased at the grocery store. That is all I will say about it but the middle east has proven this to be true many times. Germany has too.

The gun just happens to be the most terrifying I guess because of the sounds it makes and it's evil look.

The politicians and 'activists' who are in favor of a ban, for that matter "control of firearms" just do not see past their own noses. They "think" they do, but they really don't. I know a few and they are all the same in that sense.

What I wonder is how many of the mass shooters are motivated by people who are in favor of gun control? I could have worded that differently but chose not to for my own protection. This is, after all, the world wide web.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
6 Sep 2019

The left’s relentless push to ban commonly-owned semiautomatic rifles under the guise of safety overlooks the fact that Americans face numerous things that cause exponentially more death than rifles on a daily basis.

Consider Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) statistics from 2017, the most recent year of complete data. The total number of firearm-related deaths was 39,773. Roughly two-thirds of that figure, 23,854, were firearm-related suicides, with the remaining 15,919 being a combination of the approximately 500 accidental gun deaths that occur annually coupled with just over 15,000 firearm-related homicides.

If we break down the firearm-related homicides via FBI crime statistics, we see that handguns were far and away the common firearm for murder. The FBI reported 7,032 murders with a handgun verses 403 murders with a rifle, and 264 with a shotgun, in cases where the firearm was identifiable.

If we take the 403 rifle murders a year and divide by 365 it comes out to 1.1, which means 1.1 Americans die in a rifle-related murder each day. We must not overlook the fact that the 403 murders with a rifle are murders with rifles of all kinds, i.e., bolt action, lever action, breech action, pump, and semiautomatic. If we narrowed the category to only include AR-15s, AK-47s, or similar semiautomatics, the number of Americans killed daily would be even lower than 1.1.

Now, with the aid of charts released by the CDC, as well as CDC special reports, studies by schools such as Johns Hopkins University, crime statistics from the FBI, and coverage from Breitbart News, consider 10 other causes of death that literally eclipse the number of daily deaths involving a rifle (of all variants):

1. Daily Heart Disease Deaths: 1,773
2. Daily Cancer Deaths: 1,641
3. Daily Medical Malpractice Deaths: 685
4. Daily Accident Deaths: 465
5. Daily Lower Respiratory Disease Deaths: 439
6. Daily Stroke Deaths: 401
7. Daily Alzheimer Deaths: 332
8. Daily Diabetes Deaths: 229
9. Daily Drug Deaths: 192
10. Flu: 152

For those who argue that rifle deaths ought to be compared to deaths by other voluntary activities, rather than disease, consider the following six examples:

1. Daily Drunk Driving Deaths: 29
2. Daily Deaths from Crossing the Street: 16
3. Daily Distracted Driving Deaths: 9
4. Daily Deaths by Knives and Other Sharp Instruments: 4
5. Daily Deaths from Bicycles: 2.7
6. Daily Deaths by Hammers and Other Blunt Objects: 1.27
Again, the daily number of deaths from all types of rifles combined is 1.1.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'd like to go in another direction. I like to find small manageable solutions to tackle. Here are a couple of things I think most of us can agree on:

1. Legislation of any sort generally pleases no one completely, so any progress however small in this or other issues might better come from the us folks involved.

2. Guns have a fascination for a subset of people, and are the current instrument of choice for a subset of fruitloops that want to commit mass murder. They could use rocks or pressure cookers, it would be cheaper, but they don't. Keeping guns out of the hands of fruitloops would at least help. Nothing will entirely work, but seems like doing nothing is unacceptable.

3. I think SDK hit the nail on the head way at the beginning of this thread when he said more sense of responsibility is needed, although I might be reading something else into his words.

4. Here are a couple of common sense ideas that I wanted to bring up for discussion that individuals could implement by choice if they wanted to: don't sell a gun to someone you don't know, and specifically will your guns to people who will use and look after them properly. This latter idea came to me after hearing about a lady that drove around town selling her deceased husbands guns as fast as she could. Maybe most people do this, but every little bit helps.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sheepfarmer if I amy counter your well thought out approach to a very volatile subject, akin to abortion in volatility.

#1 The problem with more legislation, is the number of laws on the books that are not being followed by the judicial system. And were said laws followed as prescribed by the legislation there would be many fewer issued with the fringe ellaments looking for their 15 minutes of fame, I cant give you the number of laws on the books but there are many many of them.

#2Keeping firearms out of the hands of the fruit loops. Sound like a good plan on the surface, we must however dig a little deeper into the fruitloop seceneraro. Who decides whether sheepfarmer is or is not a fruitloop, and may or may not own or buy a firearm? And what ground rules would such a person use to make this determination? Has sheepfarmer ever been diagnosed for clinical depression, or anger management, sleep problems that may lead to some type of hulinations? Is sheepfarmer on any medication that may cause sessions of delusion, been divorced, lost a child in some tragic event. See this rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

#3 Yes we the public need to be much more responsible in our everyday lives. Which the younger generations, for the most part sherk at every turn. And the teaching of responsibility begins at home. Home that is something that to many means nothing more than a place I live,,Mama takes care of me mama and daddy fight my battles for me so I can live a life free from responsibility.

#4 A federally licensed firearms dealer, can legally refuse to sell a firearm to any person they feel may be a danger to themselves or someone else.
Also each sale is required to pass a background check already that goes through the FBI database, that show any arrests, convictions, spousal abuse charges, drug convictions and a score of other things that can cause you NOT to be able to buy a firearm.

Willing your firearms to someone that will use them as you did is a very desirable thing to do. Crazy Uncle Larry left his gun to cousin pete when he died, Petes house got broke into they stole his flat screen tv and fishin gear and guns.
It happens every day, it happened to me the pistol has never turned up, and to be honest I hope it never does.
And think about this, how many TONS of drugs are smuggled in to this country every day? If there is money to be made in gunrunning someone will make it, then the gangs and fruitloops will still have them.

I didnt mean to go on like this but this is a very convoluted subject, and more than a knee jerk reaction is going to be required

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'd like to go in another direction. I like to find small manageable solutions to tackle. Here are a couple of things I think most of us can agree on:

1. Legislation of any sort generally pleases no one completely, so any progress however small in this or other issues might better come from the us folks involved.

2. Guns have a fascination for a subset of people, and are the current instrument of choice for a subset of fruitloops that want to commit mass murder. They could use rocks or pressure cookers, it would be cheaper, but they don't. Keeping guns out of the hands of fruitloops would at least help. Nothing will entirely work, but seems like doing nothing is unacceptable.

3. I think SDK hit the nail on the head way at the beginning of this thread when he said more sense of responsibility is needed, although I might be reading something else into his words.

4. Here are a couple of common sense ideas that I wanted to bring up for discussion that individuals could implement by choice if they wanted to: don't sell a gun to someone you don't know, and specifically will your guns to people who will use and look after them properly. This latter idea came to me after hearing about a lady that drove around town selling her deceased husbands guns as fast as she could. Maybe most people do this, but every little bit helps.
My mother in law did that. The family would have bought most of them from her, but she wanted top dollar. Sometimes way more then what they were worth. Last I heard, about 12 that she had left were auctioned off in her estate sale for pennies on the dollar. Same with pops tools and equipment.

I had a roommate that had a pistol stolen. Figured the crack head that lived across the road was the one who took it. Had to have been someone who knew his dog. About 8 months later he was notified by one of the city police departments that they had recovered it. It was used in a robbery and a shooting of a police officer. The perp was also killed in the shootout where they recovered the gun.

Roommate actually got the gun back a couple years later. He immediately took the gun to a local gun shop and traded it in on something else. He also came home with a gun safe that he bolted to the floor in the corner of his garage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I think we should ban people who would want to ban inanimate objects from law abiding citizens. Its an emotional response to a logical problem. Red flag laws dont give due process to people before taking away a god given right. To me a person that lets emotion control them are far more dangerous and unpredictable than any hunk of steel or lead.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sheepfarmer if I amy counter your well thought out approach to a very volatile subject, akin to abortion in volatility.

#1 The problem with more legislation, is the number of laws on the books that are not being followed by the judicial system. And were said laws followed as prescribed by the legislation there would be many fewer issued with the fringe ellaments looking for their 15 minutes of fame, I cant give you the number of laws on the books but there are many many of them.

#2Keeping firearms out of the hands of the fruit loops. Sound like a good plan on the surface, we must however dig a little deeper into the fruitloop seceneraro. Who decides whether sheepfarmer is or is not a fruitloop, and may or may not own or buy a firearm? And what ground rules would such a person use to make this determination? Has sheepfarmer ever been diagnosed for clinical depression, or anger management, sleep problems that may lead to some type of hulinations? Is sheepfarmer on any medication that may cause sessions of delusion, been divorced, lost a child in some tragic event. See this rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

#3 Yes we the public need to be much more responsible in our everyday lives. Which the younger generations, for the most part sherk at every turn. And the teaching of responsibility begins at home. Home that is something that to many means nothing more than a place I live,,Mama takes care of me mama and daddy fight my battles for me so I can live a life free from responsibility.

#4 A federally licensed firearms dealer, can legally refuse to sell a firearm to any person they feel may be a danger to themselves or someone else.
Also each sale is required to pass a background check already that goes through the FBI database, that show any arrests, convictions, spousal abuse charges, drug convictions and a score of other things that can cause you NOT to be able to buy a firearm.

Willing your firearms to someone that will use them as you did is a very desirable thing to do. Crazy Uncle Larry left his gun to cousin pete when he died, Petes house got broke into they stole his flat screen tv and fishin gear and guns.
It happens every day, it happened to me the pistol has never turned up, and to be honest I hope it never does.
And think about this, how many TONS of drugs are smuggled in to this country every day? If there is money to be made in gunrunning someone will make it, then the gangs and fruitloops will still have them.

I didnt mean to go on like this but this is a very convoluted subject, and more than a knee jerk reaction is going to be required
Skeets we are on the same page on item 1.

As for 2, also roughly the same. My point exactly. We have no control what everyone else does, only our own choices. Don't sell me or anyone a gun if you don't know me well enough to have a fighting chance of deciding that I could use it safely, sanely, and competently. If you are wrong at least you tried. If you say no, and I go out and buy one from a crook and accidentally shoot the neighbor's kid, at least it is not on your conscience.

We can't solve the whole problem, no one can. But if it is part of the culture to care what happens to our guns at least we have done our bit.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Anybody think that maybe Dr. Benjamin Spock might have a bit to do with this. This generation are the children of parents who were the first to be reared without corporal punishment. When this new way of raising children was introduced back in the day; everybody read the books and studied the methods to understand this new method of parenting. When was the last time you saw parenting books in a house? These parents have been so positively affirmed in their youth that they don't need expert guidance until it is too late. The result being that we now have a whole generation who don't know about consequences for their actions.
I'm not saying, necessarily, to bring back the paddle; but what is the point in grounding a child who doesn't want to go outside in the first place!!
And another thing, Mommy and Daddy don't need to be a kids best friend. It's ok not to be liked for an hour or two. It's ok to say "NO" sometimes and mean it!! Plenty of time to be friends when they are raised

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
Wonder how much car insurance will go up price wise once guns are gone?
You won't be able to drive down the roads without hitting a deer (not the green ones)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The big trucks are doing a fine job of keeping them in check out on the interstate

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
The same thing that happened in the UK when they tried a gun ban.
Violent assault, rape and theft went up nearly 40%.
When criminals know you can't protect yourself, everyday is a holiday for them.
Hello, the UK has never tried a gun ban. After the Hungerford attack in 1987 ownership of handguns ( with some exceptions) was banned but that was it. The offences you mention never went up by any appreciable degree.
Criminals in the UK use handguns but not to any great degree fortunately.
Guns just are not a big deal in the UK, mostly it is shotguns for hunting followed by .22.

I suspect that banning guns in the states will take generations.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
While I do not condone any act of violence, I suspect that would spark a second civil war, I have been through one war we dont need another one at home.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Hello, the UK has never tried a gun ban. After the Hungerford attack in 1987 ownership of handguns ( with some exceptions) was banned but that was it. The offences you mention never went up by any appreciable degree.
Criminals in the UK use handguns but not to any great degree fortunately.
Guns just are not a big deal in the UK, mostly it is shotguns for hunting followed by .22.

I suspect that banning guns in the states will take generations.
The UK said they did a gun ban in 1997 and the murder rate CLIMBED after that.

Chart below is from UK govt.

ANyway, we arent now or ever going to ban guns in the US doesnt matter how many generations.