What to buy?

Orangejuice

Equipment
ZD331
Nov 6, 2015
Pickens SC
Member since 2015. I've owned three big orange tractors over the years and am in the market once again. I've learned not to buy without consulting the experts on this forum! My principal use will be pulling an 8-10' rotary mower for cutting 35 ac of pastures. I need a cab and AC due to SC summers and allergies. My budget for the tractor is 25k. Seems like an "L" series fits the job & budget, question is do I purchase a new(er) model or a "pre-emissions" model with a little higher horse power but more hours. What models are more reliable than others? Minimum hp? Many thanks for your advice. J.W.:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Member since 2015. I've owned three big orange tractors over the years and am in the market once again. I've learned not to buy without consulting the experts on this forum! My principal use will be pulling an 8-10' rotary mower for cutting 35 ac of pastures. I need a cab and AC due to SC summers and allergies. My budget for the tractor is 25k. Seems like an "L" series fits the job & budget, question is do I purchase a new(er) model or a "pre-emissions" model with a little higher horse power but more hours. What models are more reliable than others? Minimum hp? Many thanks for your advice. J.W.:)
What HP requirement is the Rotary mower?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Is that 40HP to the PTO or 40HP output engine? Is anyone pulling an 8ft rotary cutter with a L4060?

With a $25k budget you are looking used. The Grand L is a luxury line of machines for Kubota, so they come with a premium price. L4760 cab HST new no loader is $41k msrp.

For field mowing the M60 series seems like a better option. Geared/shuttle will be better than HST (more efficient, less heat). Have you checked on a M6060 cab? They are about the same $ as a L4760 last I checked.

Orangejuice

Equipment
ZD331
Nov 6, 2015
Pickens SC
Is that 40HP to the PTO or 40HP output engine? Is anyone pulling an 8ft rotary cutter with a L4060?

With a $25k budget you are looking used. The Grand L is a luxury line of machines for Kubota, so they come with a premium price. L4760 cab HST new no loader is $41k msrp.

For field mowing the M60 series seems like a better option. Geared/shuttle will be better than HST (more efficient, less heat). Have you checked on a M6060 cab? They are about the same $ as a L4760 last I checked.
I had an M6060, great tractor. Shouldn't have sold the damn thing. I was thinking of getting into a little smaller frame tractor. What makes the Grand L "luxury"? Is it ride comfort, quietness of cab, or the way it's optioned out? thanks