Rust on a brand new tractor

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
To Jim's point. I think the point here is not about going to war over a can of paint. It's about being sold a brand new machine at $60k and then receiving a unit that requires some improvements be made without even turning the key for the first time. I understand that given the nature of the machine, it will get scratches and scuffs, etc. However, had I known and agreed to the condition of such items and had the dealer been open n honest about it, I would have either attempted to negotiate a different deal or possibly not even purchased the unit. Aside from the possible relatively small amount of funds it might take to bring everything up to "like new condition", is the hassle in having to spend the time to do this. To date, the dealer has not been very responsive.

Last but not least, I think this speaks more to the reputation n integrity of the dealer and Kubota. I would think most people that encounter a similar situation MAY think twice about buying from Kubota vs a competitor. I have just begun to make the dealer aware of my concerns and am optimistic he will make it good in hopes of having a repeat customer.

H

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
I failed to ask if Jim is a practicing attorney in Texas and how he very confidently knows and states what a Texas Court will or will not do?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Originally my stance was to just blow off a little paint damage as it wasn't worth your time, but with the new pictures, the only thing that's not wrong is the O-rings on the cylinders, like pointed out they are there for a paint shield only to keep paint off the wipers of the cylinder seal.
And unlike a car it really does not matter when the tractor was actually made, delivery date is the year of the tractor, SO, that said, you have a 2018 tractor that looks worse than my 1990's L, and I wouldn't be happy either.

The dealer IMHO dealt in bad faith, if no where on your paperwork do they state significant rust, fading paint, and pealing decals, and listed as new, stop everything bypass the dealer and get Kubota corporate on the phone and in emails and make them make it right!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Not an attorney, but have spent my share of time all over Texas dealing with Texas business law in different jurisdictions from small claims court to county-court-at-law to district courts and criminal courts.

If you are in west Texas your local small claims court judge is likely a graduate of St. Marys, and trained in Texas law. If you go with a contract theory, then it is substantial performance that counts, and not dot every i and cross every t. It would be hard to prove how you have been substantially damaged.

Believe me, I understand your aggravation. Not every transaction I have had with the counter people and mechanics have met NASA certification. And I have sampled a number of dealerships across Texas. The pool of workers for Kubota is the same pool for the other color brands. People make mistakes or are distracted by their own problems.

Your machine left Louisiana with a different standard for rust than west Texas. It was transported with who knows what regard for in-transit wear. Your local dealer was pre-occupied or counted on the LA dealer to inspect the machine. Or maybe his detail man was sick that week. Your expectation was rust-free, because that is what your local conditions are.

For me, an expectation of six-sigma performance leads to disappointment in the ag world. It's not my privilege to train other folks in superior customer service. Mostly I am trying to meet my own deadlines and resource constraints - so if I need to I fix it myself and go on to the next to-do.

Long explanation of picking the essential battles due to constraints of time and resources, and ignoring the usual ups and downs. Burning a bridge usually means lost time and money later.

All best wishes that you will come to enjoy your new machine.

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
Correct, no where on the paperwork do they state significant rust, fading paint, and pealing decals. I sent an email to the dealer earlier today. Will have to see what his response will be. I recall having asked why the check box on dents and scratches was not checked off by the mechanic on the form they want me to sign off on, and the salesman indicated the mechanic only deals with maintenance issues and once again assured me tractor looked good. I also reminded salesman that last week when I noted my concern, he indicated paint is expensive to ship and that I needed to keep in mind I got a great deal on the tractor, noting the tractor was sold at or below cost.

This could explain why he was adamant in me signing off on having received tractor, manuals, etc. Manuals were apparently damaged and he was having Kubota send me a new owners manual.

Kubota Corp. did start a file and asked that I contact the dealer and see what he says before they send me to area supervisor for Kubota and see what he suggests. I was just noticing that the color of loader does not match the color of the tractor. There is a bit more fading on the loader than on the tractor. Hopefully there are not additional issues of rust, elsewhere that I have not yet seen. As mentioned, local dealer only suggested I contact Kubota Corp since they had nothing to do with the sale.

H

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you return it to the Louisiana dealer?

I assume you paid shipping to Texas and would also have to pay for return?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
I did pay for shipping but doubt they will go as far as taking it back..

littleorangetractor

Equipment
B2650, LA534 Loader, B2782 Snow Blower, B6000 with Loader
Nov 12, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie ON
From the pictures which indicate excessive rust on this tractor, it appears to be a bad paint job from the get go, and it will likely continue to deteriorate faster than normal as time passes. Many tractors spend years out in the elements and do not show rusting like this tractor. One might say it’s only cosmetic, but a few years down the road it will get much worst IMHO. I would continue dealing with Kubota (local), and Kubota Corp. to resolve the issue and if not sucessful, move on to other options i.e.- Media/Consumer Reporting Agencies.
I sincerely hope Kubota steps up to fix the issue and provide you the tractor that was as described by the selling dealer.

LittleOrangeTractor

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
So the latest re. Rust issue is that the dealer offered to send me a check for a can of spray paint. I replied last night and asked for the following: gray n orange paint, 4 new decals (the current decals are cracked, faded, n peeling), and a new fuel sender unit (one in tractor is very rusted). All total maybe $100.00. I think I am being quite reasonable n will not budge if he thinks otherwise. Tractor had 12.9 hrs on it n he went off telling me I got a great deal, although he only discounted it $435 from his asking price which admittingly was a good price ($54k) for a new M62. However, unit was sitting on lot since 2016 in very high humidity. Luckily we have no humidity in West Tx n I would expect no new rust issues. I have sprayed rust inhibitor in most every bolt n cranny and plan on replacing decals n repaint areas where paint clearly came off from the rust. I also spent the wknd buffing the paint with rubbing compound to revive the paint (was a bit faded). Looks better. I plan on keeping tractor in the barn when not in use.

Yes, I realize it is a tractor that will get scratches n a ding or two. However, as previously noted, I paid for a new tractor n expected to just add fuel n turn the key n not spend time trying to make it like new again.

Dealer continues to ask for signed check off list from me. I indicated I would send to him once I receive the items I asked for.

nick2010tundra

Equipment
BX25
Jul 18, 2015
Saint John, NB
I think your being very fair, especially if all you want is some paint and new decals. If that tractor was sitting on the lot for sale they would have done the same to be able to sell it as new. Really your willingness to do the painting yourself and apply the stickers to me shows your a stand up guy. You just want a fair deal and at this point I would want an apology for the hassle.
Good Luck

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
Thank you. I have not yet heard from dealer today and am hopeful they decide to make it right.

Timagination

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 29, 2017
North East, MD, USA
Not to put too fine a point on it, but weren't there a major storm/ flooding event in Louisiana within the last few years?

That level of corrosion, to me, screams of flood damage. Brackish/ salty water.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I'm familiar with the area, and a few miles makes a huge difference in flooding.

The tractor lots are not in an area that floods.

In the summer it stays 95 degrees F, 95% humidity - a long summer. Add to that 60 inches of rain a year and rust is normal. No salt water involved.

ghec369

Mar 2, 2018
US
I sure hope there was no flooding where tractor was located or I think I would have a bigger problem. I am sending pics n submitting a claim with the local dealer. The dealer I bought the unit from sent me a check for $26 to cover the cost of two cans of spray paint. Sure gives new meaning to the terms "customer service". I paid $54k for the tractor n got $26 for spray paint. Said he would get back to me about replacing decals n fuel sending unit that was also very full of rust. This sits on top of fuel tank. One other person indicated this is very common. I would think this might be common in Louisiana but not at all common where I live in Texas. To date, two months later n all they seemed to be interested in was me signing the form(s) indicating I accepted delivery of the tractor. I never did return the form(s).

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am disappointed to hear of a dealer that is as reluctant to please as this one appears to be.

I'm also surprised you accepted the shipment. But in any case, I'm mostly surprised you've not at least told us where the selling dealership is located other than the state. In my own experience, there are some areas of Looeasyana that are very prone to this sort of cosmetic damage. Norco (northwest of N.O.) is one area that abounds in refineries, chemical plants, etc. that spew all sorts of contaminants, acids, and other unpleasant things into the atmosphere and if that tractor sat out in that stuff for two years I'm not surprised to see this sort of damage.

Personally, although I don't expect a tractor to be a beauty-queen all it's life... I'd expect it to start out looking new, regardless of it's year of mfr. This story is a reminder that good service from a long-distance seller is difficult to enforce.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Revisiting this thread it appears the solution is if you want a tractor that looks like it was stored in West Texas storage conditions you need to purchase a tractor from a West Texas dealer. The savings you thought you’d get buying out-of-state in sales taxes/discounts/etc. resulted in what you got once you accepted the shipment. (The other point to be made is that pre-paid shipping can come back to bite you. That’s one reason some buyers insist on COD.)

Anyway, how’s the tractor holding up?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks like serious rust to me. I'd remove the paint, sandblast it , prime it and then a good paint job. Just guessing but looks to me like a poor paint job to begin with.
Looks like bad initial prep prior to painting to me.

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
I think your being very fair, especially if all you want is some paint and new decals. If that tractor was sitting on the lot for sale they would have done the same to be able to sell it as new. Really your willingness to do the painting yourself and apply the stickers to me shows your a stand up guy. You just want a fair deal and at this point I would want an apology for the hassle.
Good Luck
Agree. You are not being unreasonable.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Heck, my wife's new RTV (Sidekick) has some rust on it around a few welds. Just tool some rattlecan black and fixed it a few minutes ago. She will never know, only I will.