T-Posts...driving in with a bucket?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
HI!

Do any of you have any experience driving in T-posts using the tractor bucket? I watched a guy use a Bobcat and bend some up.

Our tractor is an L3700SU (L3800). We need to put up some new fence and thought it might be a good question to ask. I'll be using 8 foot T-posts at 1.33 weight.

Burt
Yes you can use the bucket to push it down. Weight is your friend. A self levelling bucket helps too. I've done it with full sized TLB, 15 ton crawler loader, and attempted it with a CUT. A bobcat SS might be a little tippy, I'm not sure how much down force you can get.

For best results get a manual post pounder (i.e. heavy walled pipe with end cap) and use that with the bucket to push down.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
When I was younger, I spent a summer loading trucks in a pit for my FIL. I was running a Clark/Michigan 275 with a 6yd bucket.

You could drive railroad ties through asphalt by just resting the bucket on them with that machine.

So can I do this ??????? with my bucket?

Will always depend on the this ?????? and the bucket.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I can do that with my buddy's Michigan articulated quarry loader too and crush cars if necessary but it still won't 'pound anything. Loaders push, not pound You want to pound, get a Worksaver post driver for 3200 bucks or better yet, a TSC manual driver to 28 bucks and get some physical exercise.

Might do you good. Duh......:rolleyes:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
When I was younger, I spent a summer loading trucks in a pit for my FIL. I was running a Clark/Michigan 275 with a 6yd bucket.

You could drive railroad ties through asphalt by just resting the bucket on them with that machine.

So can I do this ??????? with my bucket?

Will always depend on the this ?????? and the bucket.
My very first loader experience was on a Michigan 125. I'm sure someone was proud to get it when it was new but that was long gone by the time it made it to me.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My neighbor with a B2150 tried this and just about turned his tractor over.
5ft t-post, set the bucket on top, and tried to push the post down.
Post went down about 2-3 inches, and the tractor went way up in the air.
Ground is just too hard out here.
Sure would be nice if it worked, I'd probably fence my place if it did- as it is, I can't afford the labor to set the posts.