7200D Hydrostatic and FEL issues

krusty

Equipment
7200 HST D
Jun 2, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and i'm hoping someone can help me.

I have recently purchased a 7200D and am having an issue with the Hydrostatic drive and the front end loader. The hydrostatic drive is struggling to go up hills in high. It will go up in low. In high it makes a whining sound and eventually comes to a stop. The engine revs stay the same so it's not the engine struggling. I've also noticed the front end loader moves very slowly compared with an old massey ferguson tractor that I used to own.

I'm not sure if the tractor has low hydraulic pressure or if something is failing (hoping it's not the hydrostatic gearbox). On looking at the loader control unit I can see it has a power beyond port (PB) which is connected via a tee along with the return pipe (T) to the hydraulic inlet block on the side of the engine. The other port from this block goes to the P port on the controller. Is this correct or should the PB port simply be blocked? Could this be causing low hydraulic pressure?

Thanks.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you have a hydrostatic unit you don't have a B7200D you have a B7200HSTD, a B7200D is a geared model.

Pull the cover off the center and drive the tractor up a hill in high and watch the spinning propeller shaft, does it slow or stop with the tractor slowing and stopping?
If so then it's got a burned out mechanical clutch, you'll have to split it and replace it.

As far as the hydraulic go, they could be slow because someone has adapted too large of a spool valve or loader onto the tractor.

Teeing the PB and Tank line together is not the best way to hook up that type of valve, the PB line should have just went to the hydraulic block, and the Tank line should have been plumbed to the sump (tractors fill port on that model).

krusty

Equipment
7200 HST D
Jun 2, 2020
United Kingdom
I've driven it with the cover off and I've also engaged the pto driven mower while going up the hill and neither stops. They slow down slightly as the engine revs drop slightly as it starts to climb but don't stop. if i attempt the same hill in low it manages it with only a slight whine from the HST.

I'm guessing the HST is on its way out. I have ordered all of the engine and gearbox filters and fluids. Is it worth changing the filter and fluid on the HST gearbox? Could it make any difference?

Thanks

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
I'm guessing the HST is on its way out. I have ordered all of the engine and gearbox filters and fluids. Is it worth changing the filter and fluid on the HST gearbox? Could it make any difference?

Thanks
I'm not an expert, but I have the same tractor and I did notice a slight difference in speed and RPMs after I did a flush of the trans. The HST has 2 filter screens and one of mine was really "plugged" up before I cleaned it out. Worth a shot - buy correct replacement fluid and if it doesn't work you can always save it afterwards. I got Mobil 424 (newer replacement) tractor fluid online for a decent price.

krusty

Equipment
7200 HST D
Jun 2, 2020
United Kingdom
I'm not an expert, but I have the same tractor and I did notice a slight difference in speed and RPMs after I did a flush of the trans. The HST has 2 filter screens and one of mine was really "plugged" up before I cleaned it out. Worth a shot - buy correct replacement fluid and if it doesn't work you can always save it afterwards. I got Mobil 424 (newer replacement) tractor fluid online for a decent price.
So after replacing the filter and fluid as well as cleaning the two filter screens the problem is still the same. The filter screens weren't too bad, just a small amount of particles but definitely not blocked.

I will have to investigate options for repairing or replacing the HST unit. Sigh!

Thanks for your help guys.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We've had occasions here on OTT where guys complain of poor power/performance in high range, especially on hills.

In some of those cases, folks were driving the HST tractor as they would a passenger vehicle....if it doesn't go, mash the "gas" pedal....

With an HST tractor, pushing the pedal down more is equivalent to increasing gears...makes the problem worse. Mashing the "gas" actually has the reverse effect, especially in high range.

For giggles, try the same thing but be very easy on the pedal....Only advance it a little at a time. See if it changes the outcome.

I'm not overly optimistic, but it is something that comes up now and then.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

krusty

Equipment
7200 HST D
Jun 2, 2020
United Kingdom
We've had occasions here on OTT where guys complain of poor power/performance in high range, especially on hills.

In some of those cases, folks were driving the HST tractor as they would a passenger vehicle....if it doesn't go, mash the "gas" pedal....

With an HST tractor, pushing the pedal down more is equivalent to increasing gears...makes the problem worse. Mashing the "gas" actually has the reverse effect, especially in high range.

For giggles, try the same thing but be very easy on the pedal....Only advance it a little at a time. See if it changes the outcome.

I'm not overly optimistic, but it is something that comes up now and then.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....
It won't climb even a moderate hill in high. It will go further in low but on a steeper slope it eventually comes to complete stop and it makes no difference what I do with the pedal. I can hear the HST whining and groaning as it struggles. It seems to be better when the tractor is cold, once it warms up it struggles on a hill I can easily drive a standard car up.

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
Wish I had a better answer for you. Like I said before I am new to these tractors. I'm not sure if there's a port for testing the HI-forward gear/HST pressure. But I remember reading the manual and seeing there was a way of testing the reverse and HI/LOW HST levels. Might wanna look into that.. hopefully someone had better insight.

Personally I think my tractor has better throttle response in reverse than forwards.. but maybe that is due to gearing, I'm not sure.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It won't climb even a moderate hill in high. It will go further in low but on a steeper slope it eventually comes to complete stop and it makes no difference what I do with the pedal. I can hear the HST whining and groaning as it struggles. It seems to be better when the tractor is cold, once it warms up it struggles on a hill I can easily drive a standard car up.
Ouch - certainly sounds like it has an issue. Wanted to point it out just in case.

krusty

Equipment
7200 HST D
Jun 2, 2020
United Kingdom
Thanks for the help guys. I will contact some dealers and keep an eye on ebay for replacement or repair options.
After contacting several UK parts outlets I contacted Edgcosales on ebay and they identified that the HST unit for the F2000/F2450 out front mowers is exactly the same unit. The part number is 67061-36142 with a price 1550 GBP. The original part code for the B7200 is 67061-36140 which Kubota were quoting 6000 GBP!! Ordered, split the tractor and fitted the new unit and it will now go up hills properly. Yay!! :)

The new unit had me worried as it makes quite a noise but I believe this is normal for a HST drive tractor after reading some of the forums.

Any suggestions on how many hours to run it before changing the oil and filter?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I’d treat it like a new tractor and do the initial filter and fluid change at 50 hours after that revert to the normal service recommendations.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Super!
Yep, I too would service at 50 hours.