BX - B series batteries

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
My BX 23S is 2-1/2 years old with the original battery...and from the beginning I never felt the battery had enough umph.....When the tractor is not in use, I have it on a trickle charger....I don't use the tractor all that often, & sits inside. After sitting for a period of time I find that it cranks over quite a bit before firing and the battery feels like its getting lazy....My question: What is the best replacement battery? Not looking to pinch pennies, but want a battery with some kick to it....

St8 e

Equipment
B2650
Dec 11, 2018
Central PA
My B2601 has done the same since new. It also sits on a trickle charger. I was told this was “normal” by the dealership. I don’t agree, but it’s never failed to start. Just labors!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My BX2200 is about 15 years old, so I must have changed the battery at least once...

What I always do is measure where a battery is going, and buy the largest battery that will fit. This approach has always worked well for me.

I can't remember what the BX was like with the original battery, but with what I have in there now I never feel like I need more battery power when starting. It may sit for months over winter without a charger connected to it, and it always starts without issue and without much cranking.

One thing I noticed with both my tractors, especially when it is cold out and I have not started them for a while ( a month or longer), is if I crank for a half second, then keep the glow plugs on for a few more seconds, then crank again, the tractors will start real quickly.

Last edited:

johnwoodfab

Equipment
B 20 & BX1870
Apr 30, 2015
North Huntingdon, Pa.,U S A
I have a B-20. I have had it about 5 years. When I bought it the battery looked old. Some times it will set for months especially in the winter time. I keep it up at a seasonal home ( hunting camp ) When I go to start it I hold the glow plugs for 25 -30 seconds. I have never charged this battery. It just amazes me because it fires right up.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My BX 23S is 2-1/2 years old with the original battery...and from the beginning I never felt the battery had enough umph.....When the tractor is not in use, I have it on a trickle charger....I don't use the tractor all that often, & sits inside. After sitting for a period of time I find that it cranks over quite a bit before firing and the battery feels like its getting lazy....My question: What is the best replacement battery? Not looking to pinch pennies, but want a battery with some kick to it....
One can leave a cranking battery on a float charger (maintainer) indefinitely with damage to the battery but one should not leave such batteries on a trickle charger for extended periods. Doing so will shorten the life of the battery considerably.

Regarding replacements, I've been using Deka batteries lately with good results.

SDT

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
One can leave a cranking battery on a float charger (maintainer) indefinitely with damage to the battery but one should not leave such batteries on a float charger for extended periods. Doing so will shorten the life of the battery considerably.

Regarding replacements, I've been using Deka batteries lately with good results.

SDT
I believe you were saying not to leave it on a trickle charger. A maintainer charger is OK to use.

As far as brands I have had good luck with Interstate Batteries for years but the price has gotten out of hand and the quality has gone down a lot. So I have switched to Rural King's batteries. A good warranty and price. Plus they are open on Sunday when I needed them.

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
This battery topic is getting interesting...I have multiple vehicles & 1/2 of them have computers, that if the battery goes dead or disconnected it wipes out the memory and when I take them for a state inspection they fail due to memories being wiped out....So they are on trickle chargers 24/7/365...I never had a battery go bad prematurely from the trickle charger....Now to the Kubota...since day one, I was never comfortable with the starting, just seemed laborious...then winter came & hard starting issues.. The tractor is kept in an unheated garage that never gets below 32 degrees...as water in a jug will not freeze...Its never turn the key wait 30 seconds for the glow plugs, & start..... Its turn the key, wait 30 seconds, crank for 15-20 seconds, release the key...wait another 10 seconds, crank again till it starts....& watch a cloud of smoke out the exhaust.. I went to the dealer inquiring about an engine block heater & was talked out of it... They said keep a trickle charger on it & I'll be OK......BS.....There is much controversy on how long the key should be on for the glow plugs....Everyone has their own opinion....I had a 81 VW diesel with a glow plug lite on the dash, most diesel pickups have glow plug lights..I would have thought Kubota would have had a light as well...nope....Really this starting issue is a disappointment...I never would have expected this from Kubota....and come winter you will see the forum light up with starting issues....Before winter I'll go & buy the best rated battery from Interstate/Deka/ or whom ever...unless someone else has a better solution....

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
This battery topic is getting interesting...I have multiple vehicles & 1/2 of them have computers, that if the battery goes dead or disconnected it wipes out the memory and when I take them for a state inspection they fail due to memories being wiped out....So they are on trickle chargers 24/7/365...I never had a battery go bad prematurely from the trickle charger....Now to the Kubota...since day one, I was never comfortable with the starting, just seemed laborious...then winter came & hard starting issues.. The tractor is kept in an unheated garage that never gets below 32 degrees...as water in a jug will not freeze...Its never turn the key wait 30 seconds for the glow plugs, & start..... Its turn the key, wait 30 seconds, crank for 15-20 seconds, release the key...wait another 10 seconds, crank again till it starts....& watch a cloud of smoke out the exhaust.. I went to the dealer inquiring about an engine block heater & was talked out of it... They said keep a trickle charger on it & I'll be OK......BS.....There is much controversy on how long the key should be on for the glow plugs....Everyone has their own opinion....I had a 81 VW diesel with a glow plug lite on the dash, most diesel pickups have glow plug lights..I would have thought Kubota would have had a light as well...nope....Really this starting issue is a disappointment...I never would have expected this from Kubota....and come winter you will see the forum light up with starting issues....Before winter I'll go & buy the best rated battery from Interstate/Deka/ or whom ever...unless someone else has a better solution....
I am not trying to be condescending but, you have to turn the key switch halfway between RUN and START and hold it there to turn on the glowplugs. At this point, you should have a glow plug light come on on the dash.

On your tractor, five seconds of preheating should start it in 2 or three revolutions.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I believe you were saying not to leave it on a trickle charger. A maintainer charger is OK to use.

As far as brands I have had good luck with Interstate Batteries for years but the price has gotten out of hand and the quality has gone down a lot. So I have switched to Rural King's batteries. A good warranty and price. Plus they are open on Sunday when I needed them.
Bingo.

Fingers got ahead of brain.

Edited.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Correction....What I mean by trickle charger is a 'maintainer'
No problem with a properly designed maintainer/float charger.

Trickle chargers are constant current sources and will damage a battery in short order.

SDT

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Whitetiger...Not feeling any condescending , I'm here to ask questions & learn...I had a higher expectation of a tractor salesman over a car salesman, but I guess there's no difference....just there to take $$$...If I read your response correctly I hold the key in that limbo area between run & start...and that will activate a glow plug light on the dash? I'm assuming this is addressed in the owners manual, & my bad for not researching it...but I would think after several trips to the dealer complaining about starting issues someone would have walked me over to a tractor & showed me....I'll do it your way the next time I use the tractor....Thank you...