L3400 fuel issue

05l3400

Equipment
L3400
Nov 18, 2017
ontario
Time for some bypass surgery.

Buy some hose, a cheap filter like for a gas engine, approx 4$, and bypass your filter assembly. The cheap filter is just to protect your injection pump during this test.

Then if it runs well, you can take apart your filter housing and post some photos of its internals. There has to be a partial blockage, perhaps by ice since you are near Ottawa and it has been cold and snowy.

p.s. Is your filter assembly like the one I have pasted below. If so is it possible you are putting the filter element in upside down?

Dave
Def different filter housing, the only thing left is the inlet port so ill try cleaning that first. Air backwards to blow out the port was suggested. Any issues with that ?

05l3400

Equipment
L3400
Nov 18, 2017
ontario
Does the fuel come out of the supply line faster than it did in the picture you uploaded since you cleaned the tank out?

Have you tried it with the fuel tank cap off?
Yes, fuel flows nicely now. But I think I need to invest in a scope to look into the tank now that its been emptied

05l3400

Equipment
L3400
Nov 18, 2017
ontario
So after the tank was drained I have a good flow of fuel, filter housing removed and inlet port cleaned everything is working as it should.
Apparently the only way a fuel filter comes now from the dealer in Ontario anyway is complete with housing, so that would have solved the second issue.
Thanks everyone for the advice it saved me a service call and $$$$.

J

Shorty1970

Equipment
L4610, Woods backhoe, LA852 bucket, box blade, brush hog, rear blade
May 15, 2021
Oregon
The inlet port of your filter housing is plugged, the debris could not make it thru the 90 degree turn. Pull of the supply hose, unscrew your filter cup and shoot some compressed air into the passage backwards.

Put the supply hose on to inlet nipple and see that you have a good flow thru the head. Screw the cup back on, bleed it and go play.
The inlet port of your filter housing is plugged, the debris could not make it thru the 90 degree turn. Pull of the supply hose, unscrew your filter cup and shoot some compressed air into the passage backwards.

Put the supply hose on to inlet nipple and see that you have a good flow thru the head. Screw the cup back on, bleed it and go play.
THANK YOU!
I’m a construction foreman not a mechanic. I’ve inherited a 500 acre farm that’s bleeding me dry, and my tractor is kind of the life blood of the place. Was having the exact problem the OP described, and was kinda freaking out because I can’t really afford to take it to a shop, and all the other things (checking flow from tank, bleeding, etc) wasn’t working. Did what you suggested, and that filter in take was plugged full of crap. Blew it out, and she purrs like new. Saved me a lot of money, and a lot of headache. Again, a HUGE Thank You!!!

Reactions: 1 user