MMM: Deck issues, questions RCK60-24B

Roll

Equipment
B7300
Dec 14, 2016
Central Ohio
Hi all,

Been reading some horror stories about greasing the mowing deck.

Some people going to the extent of removing the deck, removing the blades and greasing the blade bearings from the underside.

Something about greasing through the fittings on top not actually getting grease to the bearings.

Is this correct? Looking for any information that may be helpful.

Thanks all,
Gary

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We bought our BX2200 new in 2003 and greased via zerks on top, no failure to date. It takes a while to get to all the fittings, but it can be done, my wife now does all of ours.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I am not familiar with your specific deck, but I have never seen a deck with grease fittings underneath it for spindle bearings.

I think what confuses some folks is the spindle has a bearing at the top and the bottom and fits in the housing with an interference fit on the outside of the bearings.

This means the entire space from the top bearing to the bottom bearing needs to be filled with grease just to force grease into the bottom bearing. So if the shaft is 1" dia. and the bearing is 2" OD you would have 1/2" space around the entire shaft to fill with grease.

When a deck is new a couple of pumps of the grease gun and grease will never get the cavity filled. When the cavity finally gets full, then a couple of pumps will push grease through the entire cavity to the bottom bearing.

When you feel additional pressure with the grease gun quit.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have the same deck - stuffed under a B7100 - nope, that aint the right mower for the tractor, but it works.

And to add what D2Cat said - those spindles take a butt load of grease - all from the top!

THE two outside can be hit thought the peep holes in the spindle covers, but sometimes it is worthwhile to take those covers off and get all that crap out that stays under the covers - and make sure you hit the zerks well.

The middle spindle can be a PITA to hit, gonna have to get on the hands and knees on that one - and WHATEVER you do - get the zerks on you PTO drive shaft. I take mine off to get to them, yes it is a royal PITA, but you can twist the uni to get to the zerk.

Get some good grease too - and ifn you aint got a LOCK-N-Lube, get one......there are a bit pricey - but it almost makes lubing ....fun! Almost!

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks for the lock-n-lube recommendation, Hokie. Looks like a great idea.

BTW I have the same mowing deck. Mine had been unused for a few years, poorly stored, etc. Generally neglected. I counted strokes of the grease gun when greasing the spindles the first time. All three of them took more than 50 pumps EACH before I heard grease crackling out through the underside of the deck.

I'm curious, what's the consensus on time between greasing? How many hours of cutting do you do before you wield the grease gun again?

These mowing decks are built like tanks and do a good job of mowing, but what a PITA to install. If I had my 'druthers I'd be using a 3pt hitch finishing mower, just because they can be mounted and dismounted so quickly.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have the 54" MMM. It is nearly the same as yours. I grease it about once every 10 hours of operation, sometimes more often than that. I remove my mower at least once per month and do a thorough maintenance and greasing.

I have developed a system of removing the mower that involves using the bucket to raise the tractor front wheels and slide the mower forward of the tractor front wheels. I then lower the tractor front wheels and use the bucket to push the mower into the garage. It is easier that way. I don't have to turn the scalper wheels on the mower and I don't have to drag it out from the side of the mower. It takes me less than 5 minutes to remove the mower and about 7 minutes or so to install it again.

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
Before I mowed for the first time with my new B2650(RCK60-30BA), I pulled the deck off and removed blades and grease cups underneath. The two outside spindles took close to 50 pumps each to get grease to show at bottom of bearing stack. The center only took about 20 pumps. They definitely dont pack them full from the factory!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm curious, what's the consensus on time between greasing? How many hours of cutting do you do before you wield the grease gun again?

FEL's are typically done about every 10 hours of use - I would say that would be a good unit of time. Once it is done well the first time, the next time is just pushing old grease out!:D;)

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Another vote for the lock-n-lube. $30 seemed steep at the time of purchase, but now it seems like a bargain. :)

I grease my mower deck every 5-10 hours.

Also, don't forget to check your gear box oil. The oil seals can leak slowly and if your deck is cluttered with clippings and debris you might not notice right away. No or low oil = very expensive replacement! Keep it lubricated and the gear box should last practically forever.

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
I grease my deck everytime I mow, which takes me about 3 hours....too frequently?? Probably, but grease is cheap and it only takes about 5-7 pumps each time

SDMauler

Equipment
2009 BX2360TV60, RCK60B-23BX
Aug 8, 2014
Parker, SD
I have the same deck, only for a BX2360. At least in the spring, I grease my deck before it goes under the tractor, while the blades and dust covers are still off. That helps with knowing how much grease to put in from the top zerk fittings. I lift the deck from the front middle anti scalp wheel with a come-along from the lifting frame in the garage until it's vertical, with the back anti scalp wheels still on the floor, allowing access to the blades.

petenpole

Equipment
B2100, & I-H BN
Apr 17, 2014
Trimble, MO
I have the MMM RCK60-24B under my B2100 and the previous owner a Church didn't do as a great a job on regular maintenance as could have been done.

So here is my question

Does anyone know of a complete outer deck spindle assy that can be purchased as opposed to tearing down the old spindle and rebuilding?

I love orange but right now time is critical and an assembly will expedite the anticipated repairs that is coming very quickly.

Thank you