Almost hay time... My M9000's

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been waiting for the weather to cooperate, While I don't usually post pictures, thought I'd share my 2 M9000's. The cab tractor has my disc bine on it (I mowed the small back field today to make sure the equipment is running properly). The last picture is the business end of the cab tractor with the 540-1000 pto and all the hydraulic hookups and road lights necessary for the mower. The round baler takes a pair of remotes as well as a keyed plug to access the on board computer that runs it.

The open station M9000 has my new (this year) rotary rake on it.

The cab tractor is a 2004 I bought new and the open station is a 2002 I bought used last year and went through. The open station has 4200 hours on it and the cab tractor 2000 hours

Final pictures are my small back field. I suspect there is about 10 rounds back there. I use it to make sure everything is running properly before I venture out to my large fields down the road a few miles. Don't need any issues away from the shop.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When I get into the large fields (probably after Saturday, I'll take some more pictures of the round baler and what it produces. and probably a few of the loaded GN trailers my customer brings for me to load up.

I'm thinking around 120-150 rounds on first cut this year. It's pretty thick. Once I cut it and bale it, I'll come in with my bat wing chopper and clean up the fields and the apply a light fertilizing of 46 granulated urea.

Hay loves 46. Makes it grow like crazy.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
, I'll take some more pictures of the round baler and what it produces. and probably a few of the loaded GN trailers my customer brings for me to load up.
Be cool if you took a little video of that for us non farm folks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Those M9000s look good. Did you paint the open station?
Wish I had a cab tractor to match my M9540 open station.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Sure did. I stripped off all the tin, took it right down to the engine and running gear and redid everything. Took me 3 pressure washings to get the crud off (previous owner had it on a dairy farm and there was cow crap everywhere on it, under it and between everything. Redid the tin, redid the wheels after I had the CACL sucked out and new tubes put in, I don't need loaded tires, the cast centers provide all the weight I need.

Hard to find, M9's with a hydraulic shuttle in a pre tier 2 engine. I went 600 miles for that one.

This last winter I committed it to my dealer over the winter and had them go through everything mechanical. Cost me 4 grand and I paid 18 for it so I have 23 in it total plus my own labor which was free.

My dealer put it on the dyno after they went through it, front crank seal, ran the overhead, tested the injectors, upped the pressure on the shuttle pack and pto pack, relplaced the left outboard planetary bushings and king pin and seals, new filters all around and changed the oil and hydraulic fluid (I provided the fluid, I use Chevron THC Synthetic in the other one and I like to use one fluid so I provided that to my dealer.) new floor mat, new shift boot, new multifunction switch, new LED headlights, the canopy and some other bits and pieces. Anyway, it dynoed at 96 PTO horsepower. and it sips fuel too.

Interestingly, my dealer (owner) offered me 30 for it. Told him I'd pass. If I could find another one and my wife wouldn't toss me out of the house, I'd buy another one. Has to be a hydraulic shuttle though. No clutch to deal with. She has plenty of suds. Runs my batwing in heavy brush and don't even slow down.

Came with the loader, both tractors take the same loader and 2 buckets. The OS has the Kubota quick detach, the cab unit has the ATI quick detach but the buckets all interchange anyway.

My cab tractor is completely optioned out. I ordered it with every option available in 2004. It has the extra gears, and the 2 speed PTO, rear wiper, stereo, air ride swivel seat and the trailer package. Waited 6 months for it. 2004 was the last year for the long hood M9. I got the dealer installed 3rd function too. I have about the last one ever made.

Have a great dealer. Most dealers, if you don't buy from them don't like to work on a unit they did sell. I don't have that problem. They treat both like I bought them there.

Around here, bigger orange tractors are rare. Mostly green and red. Only orange around here are the small ones people mow their grass with.

Never had an issue with the cab tractor sine I bought it in 2004 and I don't expect any issues with the open station now that I've had my dealer go through it either.

Very happy with both but I still want another one. I really dislike changing out implements. Rather have the tractors married to an implement all the time...lol

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Be cool if you took a little video of that for us non farm folks
Wish I knew how. My cheap digital camera don't take video's far as I know, but then maybe it does, guess I'll have to read the owners manual....:)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
From another thread:

Expensive hobby George.....:)
Talk about an Expensive hobby! Hey! Im just glad to see all of us here on OTT have a RICH FRIEND like YOU, FLIP!
:D:D:D

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Flip, did you have a rotary rake before this one?

I have a Stoll. I had an old NH side delivery, but the Stoll allows the swath to remain fluffy and aerated and speed up drying time. Get the height adjusted and the book says you can rake at 7 1/2 MPH.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
From another thread:

Talk about an Expensive hobby! Hey! Im just glad to see all of us here on OTT have a RICH FRIEND like YOU, FLIP!
:D:D:D
It's all paid for, even the new rake. Half the equipment is still in the barn, the tedder, the round baler and 250 gallon liquid sprayer, the pto driven granular spreader and the square baler. The big silver building in the background of the open station is where I keep all the equipment. Have a couple resident cats in there too.:D

There will be more pictures as I get into the hay fields. Too hot here today to do much. It's 90 here. I'm too old to deal with the heat very long.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip, did you have a rotary rake before this one?

I have a Stoll. I had an old NH side delivery, but the Stoll allows the swath to remain fluffy and aerated and speed up drying time. Get the height adjusted and the book says you can rake at 7 1/2 MPH.
I sure did. I had a Giehl 260 rotary trailing rake, bought it used (and abused), ran it for at least 10 years and countless acres but it was getting very o0ld and parts (tines and curtains) were getting hard to get. Shoup was always there for me but we had to cross reference everything so I decided to sell it.

Sold it on Craigs List in 2 days for what I paid for it. Rotaries are in high demand here, our hay really lends itself to them even though those people who don't understand the benefits of a rotary still use the side delivery roper rakes.

I could have bought a Kubota rotary trailer (Kneverland), but after having a trailer for a lot of years, I got the headstock mounted Morra instead. The headstock rotary eliminates the hydraulic lift cylinders the trailer uses tho raise the head. With the headstock rake when I get to the end of a windrow, I lift it and it's instant so no tail..... and the Kubota was 14 grand, just like the Kuhn Masterdrives.

Have not really used it enough yet to form an opinion one way of another but as you know, a rotary cuts dry time over a side delivery roper by at least a day. maybe 2 days. Unlike a side delivery with all those rake teeth and gears and drive shafts, a rotary is simple and don't take much power to run it either.

I would have preferred a Kuhn Masterdrive combo unit but in as much as I already have a good tedder and the Kuhn's are rich man's rakes, I got the Morra.

Started out with a roper but soon learned the difference. Besides, fluffy windrows bale easier in a round baler.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thanks for the pictures of your M9000's Flip. Very Nice!! ;)
Lots of sweat equity in the open station, but then I bought the cab tractor new.

At 70, they will be my last 2 Kubota's. I figure maybe 5 more years maximum and I'll be done. It's getting harder and harder every year. I will say on the bright side, having one and only one customer who isn't at all picky is nice.

When I'm done. someone will get some nice, well maintained tractors and hay tools.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
With a side delivery I was always ending up in the middle of a field and had to rake my way out. Now I can pick it up and go anywhere.

I stole the Stoll. Couple was getting a divorce and she listed it on Craig's List. I called, went over and bought it. She had her husband (or x) I'm not sure load it with a backhoe. He wouldn't say one word to me, or stick around to anchor in to the trailer. They bought it now, and put up some alfalfa a couple of years. Had the assembly book and the owner's manual. $700.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
With a side delivery I was always ending up in the middle of a field and had to rake my way out. Now I can pick it up and go anywhere.

I stole the Stoll. Couple was getting a divorce and she listed it on Craig's List. I called, went over and bought it. She had her husband (or x) I'm not sure load it with a backhoe. He wouldn't say one word to me, or stick around to anchor in to the trailer. They bought it now, and put up some alfalfa a couple of years. Had the assembly book and the owner's manual. $700.
Excellent buy. The cheapest I've ever seen a rotary (new) was on Flea-Bay, some way off brand in the far east of questionable quality. If you need rake tines, get them from Shoup. If you don't have a catalog, jump on their website and get a paper copy. The rake tines are listed by dimensions and fitment and you can order by dimension. I can attest to their quality.

I really wanted a Kuhn but I couldn't bring myself to pay the asking price. Even used Kuhn's on tractor house bring big bucks.

Wasn't about to buy the Kubota (and my dealer has a Kubota disc bine in the back as well). Both are Kneverland rebadged Kubota. I tend to stick with NH hay tools as much as I don't like dealing with the NH dealer here because NH, like JD, has become multi store 'super shops'. Knowledge level is poor. All they want to do is sell equipment, no after the sale service to amount to much.

My dealer wanted me to demo a Kubota round baler last year and I passed. I don't like the in cab monitor at all. The NH in cab monitor is light years ahead of the Kubota monitor. Like a video game, not that I like video games much. I did tell him if he really want to sell me one, I'd have to have 32 for mine on a trade, which is what I paid for it. He didn't like that much so I let sleeping dogs lie.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Hi Sidecar, thanks for showing us those pics and describing the equipment. Really enjoyed it, I always wondered what your setup was. Best wishes for the next 5 years, and well beyond!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I never realized Flip, that you were an old-scooter-guy, until your recent post. Looked at your site and enjoyed it. (got an old ‘34 VLD myself that was the HD demonstrator. They want it back but they’re not getting it.).
(In case anyone wants to know what an old ‘34 HD-VLD is and looks like... it was HD’s first 74 cu in flathead produced in the depths of the depression and they were about to go out of business, so the story goes, but the LA police ordered a bunch of them and HD survived.)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Sure did. I stripped off all the tin, took it right down to the engine and running gear and redid everything. Took me 3 pressure washings to get the crud off (previous owner had it on a dairy farm and there was cow crap everywhere on it, under it and between everything. Redid the tin, redid the wheels after I had the CACL sucked out and new tubes put in, I don't need loaded tires, the cast centers provide all the weight I need.

Hard to find, M9's with a hydraulic shuttle in a pre tier 2 engine. I went 600 miles for that one.

This last winter I committed it to my dealer over the winter and had them go through everything mechanical. Cost me 4 grand and I paid 18 for it so I have 23 in it total plus my own labor which was free.

My dealer put it on the dyno after they went through it, front crank seal, ran the overhead, tested the injectors, upped the pressure on the shuttle pack and pto pack, relplaced the left outboard planetary bushings and king pin and seals, new filters all around and changed the oil and hydraulic fluid (I provided the fluid, I use Chevron THC Synthetic in the other one and I like to use one fluid so I provided that to my dealer.) new floor mat, new shift boot, new multifunction switch, new LED headlights, the canopy and some other bits and pieces. Anyway, it dynoed at 96 PTO horsepower. and it sips fuel too.

Interestingly, my dealer (owner) offered me 30 for it. Told him I'd pass. If I could find another one and my wife wouldn't toss me out of the house, I'd buy another one. Has to be a hydraulic shuttle though. No clutch to deal with. She has plenty of suds. Runs my batwing in heavy brush and don't even slow down.

Came with the loader, both tractors take the same loader and 2 buckets. The OS has the Kubota quick detach, the cab unit has the ATI quick detach but the buckets all interchange anyway.

My cab tractor is completely optioned out. I ordered it with every option available in 2004. It has the extra gears, and the 2 speed PTO, rear wiper, stereo, air ride swivel seat and the trailer package. Waited 6 months for it. 2004 was the last year for the long hood M9. I got the dealer installed 3rd function too. I have about the last one ever made.

Have a great dealer. Most dealers, if you don't buy from them don't like to work on a unit they did sell. I don't have that problem. They treat both like I bought them there.

Around here, bigger orange tractors are rare. Mostly green and red. Only orange around here are the small ones people mow their grass with.

Never had an issue with the cab tractor sine I bought it in 2004 and I don't expect any issues with the open station now that I've had my dealer go through it either.

Very happy with both but I still want another one. I really dislike changing out implements. Rather have the tractors married to an implement all the time...lol
Well, that explains how it is so clean. :)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I never realized Flip, that you were an old-scooter-guy, until your recent post. Looked at your site and enjoyed it. (got an old ‘34 VLD myself that was the HD demonstrator. They want it back but they’re not getting it.).
(In case anyone wants to know what an old ‘34 HD-VLD is and looks like... it was HD’s first 74 cu in flathead produced in the depths of the depression and they were about to go out of business, so the story goes, but the LA police ordered a bunch of them and HD survived.)

Way back when George, I had a 45 flat head springer chopper. 3 speed suicide shift. Never changed the oil, just kept adding. Kind of like the older British Triumph's and Beezers. My 68 Norton P11A don't leak a drop but it was totally rebuilt by Kenny Dreer before I bought it. You want to talk about a bear to start, the 4" long kick start lever with a high compression 750 is a bear. Just past TDC or it will break your leg.

Have a friend who collects Brit bikes too but he has the one I really want but will never get. He has the original Vincent Black Shadow that TE Lawrence rode. I rode it one time, what a thrill. 100 plus bike with no brakes...,lol

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Way back when George, I had a 45 flat head springer chopper. 3 speed suicide shift. Never changed the oil, just kept adding. Kind of like the older British Triumph's and Beezers. My 68 Norton P11A don't leak a drop but it was totally rebuilt by Kenny Dreer before I bought it. You want to talk about a bear to start, the 4" long kick start lever with a high compression 750 is a bear. Just past TDC or it will break your leg.

Have a friend who collects Brit bikes too but he has the one I really want but will never get. He has the original Vincent Black Shadow that TE Lawrence rode. I rode it one time, what a thrill. 100 plus bike with no brakes...,lol
We might know the same guys... another OTT fella who bought a used BX recently with issues has a brother with a famous high-speed Vincent Black Shadow.... last name Hanson.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Unfortunately no. The person I know is in western Iowa and is a Triumph dealer. In fact, he's the oldest triumph dealer in the country.