Gr2120 lawn tractor

orange & black

Equipment
1999 L2500 W/FEL & NEW 2011 GR2120
May 22, 2011
Sylacauga Alabama, USA
Purchased a new 2011 GR2120 @ the first of May....and I have to say this unit is worth its weight in gold!! shoulda made this move a long time ago. I never could find any reviews on this unit, so I rolled the dice...with the success and longevity of my 1999 LT2500 Kubota, I figured I couldnt go wrong with this purchase. The GR2120 has the AWD, power steering, 3 cyl.D, 54" deck, shaft drive hydro tranny, gearbox driven deck with hyd. lift. What used to be a chore is now a pleasure. I highly recommend the 2120 if your in the market for a new lawn tractor...its a riding mower on steroids!!!!!!!
By the way, this is tha same mower ipz2222 mentioned here on a previous post..

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Glad to hear it. I did find several comments about the mower. 2 complained about the trans not haveing enough power to back over a 2x4 and 1 said the deck did not cut even. I also spoke to someone who has 2 and he had no complaints..
Now it's just comeing up with the money!!!

orange & black

Equipment
May 22, 2011
Sylacauga Alabama, USA
I knew there were problems with the 2110 (last years model) with the tranny, but those issues have been corrected according to Kubota. I bought this unit here local at the dealership...$8500 out the door in case you were wondering. I hope to have many years of service outta this rig! Its early right now we'll just have to wait and see??

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Do you have any hills that you can pull a trailer ( 300 lbs) up.?? I have a JD sabre that will pull 2 40 inch mowing decks up a 25 % grade but tries to slide if going sideways. The 4wd kubota I'm hopeing will overcome that.
How about 6 to 12 inch grass?? How does it do in that??

orange & black

Equipment
May 22, 2011
Sylacauga Alabama, USA
The 2120 is rated @970 lbs. it should have a pretty good foot hold on slopes, though I havent tried it. All I got is hills' that was one the reasons for purchasing the rig w/4x4.
As far as the hi-grass issue, I use the full size tractor to tackle those task with the bushhog.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Couldn't come up with enough $$$ to get the gr2120 , so I purchased a used bx 2230. So far I'm really disappointed with the mowing. You can't move fast, it leaves grass sticking up. I 'll try a different set of blades tomorrow. My John Deere Sabre will mow circles around it.
I do like the 4wd. I put it one my steepest hill and it climbed it good. Makeing the brackets tomorrow to pull my 2 40 inch mowing decks.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Spoke too soon about the mowing. Sharpened the blades and tried again.. Much better mowing. It pulled my 2 mowing decks up the steepest slopes with no problem. I'm happy now..

Gregster

Apr 1, 2012
Canada
My dealer is going to bring out a Gr2120 and a BX 1860 for me to try. I have a pretty steep hill that 2wd units tend to slide backwards on..............scary boys and girls verrrry scary. Anyway I am really hoping that the Gr will do the job for me, it is nearly half the price of the BX and at this point I don't need all the other stuff that the BX has.

Gregster

Apr 1, 2012
Canada
My Dealer didnt have a diesel with him so we tried the gas 2020 and it was all it could do to get up the hill. So I went with the diesel, which I wanted anyway. I should be getting the tractor in a couple weeks......they have it in stock, i just need to build an addition on my shed to store it. Glad that I bought it, I think it will do a great job.

Gregster

Apr 1, 2012
Canada
So anyway, here I am talking to myself. Just in case there is someone out there looking into buying a GR 2120, I must say that it fully meets or exceeds my expectations. As I have made mention of before, I have a VERY steep hill at my place and any 2wd lawn tractor would lose traction and slide backwards. The GR walks up it without any trouble at all, if the hydro does start to slip, I simply give it more rpms and it crawls up the hill. Also we have many trees, some of which are also on the slopes and the GR really turns nice and tight around them. I am really happy with this tractor and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one.

andre53

Equipment
GR2120, 54" Mower, GR2728 Snowblower
Jun 30, 2012
East Aurora, NY
Just got a new GR2120 w/54" deck delivered this week. (Replacing a 20 year old Toro 520H that I finally put out to pasture.) Only 2 hours on it so far, but I am very pleased with it. It's my first diesel. I can't believe how quiet it is compared to the old Toro...

Mows extremely well. I was concerned that the diesel machine might be a bit heavy and leave ruts in soft areas but no evidence of that. It hardly leaves any tracks at all in the grass, which makes it a little challenging to see your cut line.
Maneuverability is unbelievable. I have a lot of trees to mow around and it is very easy to edge around everything.

Questions: Does anyone have a recommendation on a Cab for this model? I routinely have to snowplow a 250' drive and I know from experience that a cab is a must in winter.

Also, the manual recommends diesel fuel with a rating of at least 45 CET. My local stations only have diesel rated at 40 CET... Is this a big deal or not?

Jon

Equipment
GR 2120
Jul 24, 2012
East Greenville, PA, USA
Purchased a new 2011 GR2120 @ the first of May....and I have to say this unit is worth its weight in gold!! shoulda made this move a long time ago. I never could find any reviews on this unit, so I rolled the dice...with the success and longevity of my 1999 LT2500 Kubota, I figured I couldnt go wrong with this purchase. The GR2120 has the AWD, power steering, 3 cyl.D, 54" deck, shaft drive hydro tranny, gearbox driven deck with hyd. lift. What used to be a chore is now a pleasure. I highly recommend the 2120 if your in the market for a new lawn tractor...its a riding mower on steroids!!!!!!!
By the way, this is tha same mower ipz2222 mentioned here on a previous post..
Agreed. Went from a Wheel Horse 312-8 and can now climb any hill I have.

Nieuwsma

Jul 8, 2013
Moscow, ID USA
Just purchased a GR2120 last Wednesday (July 3, 2013) - that machine can climb! It also has a fairly low center of gravity so it also does well sideways on our hills.
Love the small diesel engine, and it is quieter than our previous gas mower.

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
Just got a new GR2120 w/54" deck delivered this week. (Replacing a 20 year old Toro 520H that I finally put out to pasture.) Only 2 hours on it so far, but I am very pleased with it. It's my first diesel. I can't believe how quiet it is compared to the old Toro...

Mows extremely well. I was concerned that the diesel machine might be a bit heavy and leave ruts in soft areas but no evidence of that. It hardly leaves any tracks at all in the grass, which makes it a little challenging to see your cut line.
Maneuverability is unbelievable. I have a lot of trees to mow around and it is very easy to edge around everything.

Questions: Does anyone have a recommendation on a Cab for this model? I routinely have to snowplow a 250' drive and I know from experience that a cab is a must in winter.

Also, the manual recommends diesel fuel with a rating of at least 45 CET. My local stations only have diesel rated at 40 CET... Is this a big deal or not?
I too am looking at the Gr2120 to replace my Wheel Horse 416-H.
You mentioned you were concerned your new GR2120 might leave ruts in soft areas of your lawn because it being heavy...
Did your old WH520H leave ruts in the soft areas of your lawn ?
I currently have soft areas in my lawn that my WH 416H does leave some depressions in the sod. I'm concerned the heavier GR2120 might leave deeper or more depressions.

rodnutrandy

Equipment
8n ford , buying Gr2120 Kubota
Mar 11, 2014
Hillsboro ,Ohio
I just ordered a Gr2120 With turf tires, 54 inch deck , and arm rests. Reason I mention equipment is to stress don't be afraid to shop around. A dealer 25 miles from me wanted $9100 , another dealer close ask $8600 , that is for a 2014 . I stressed I wanted a 2014. My thoughts are I won't let the mower set out, so why do I want one that set out at a dealer all winter, plus a mower with a year old battery. Maybe I am to picky , but just the way I think.

Last edited:

orange & black

Equipment
May 22, 2011
Sylacauga Alabama, USA
Hey ya'll, I'm back !!! figured I'd give an up-date on the GR2120....I last posted here in May 2011 and here it is march 2014 and the little beast is still performing flawlessly. last summer I had to replace the front seals of the AWD. and thats it....change filters & fluids and keep rollin! oh and the locking nut on the throttle control will work loose every-so-often. but no major problems thus far. Still luvin it!!

rodnutrandy

Equipment
8n ford , buying Gr2120 Kubota
Mar 11, 2014
Hillsboro ,Ohio
I just ordered a Gr2120 With turf tires, 54 inch deck , and arm rests. Reason I mention equipment is to stress don't be afraid to shop around. A dealer 25 miles from me wanted $9100 , another dealer close ask $8600 , that is for a 2014 . I stressed I wanted a 2014. My thoughts are I won't let the mower set out, so why do I want one that set out at a dealer all winter, plus a mower with a year old battery. Maybe I am to picky , but just the way I think.
I received my Gr2120 and have been playing with it, not time to mow in Sw Ohio . Took off steering wheel and straightened it. Wanted a front bumper, lots of trees in my yard, Took bumper from my old Gt5000 and remade it to fit the Kubota , Can come off with 2 bolts and tilts for hood, I Have a 8N ford I blade with ,so won't be putting front attachments on it .

Attachments

Ky Kubota

Equipment
'13 BX2670, FEL, 60" MMM, Land Pride RB1560 rear bladeLand Pride RTR 0550 tiller
Nov 8, 2013
Berea, Ky
I had a GR2120 for two seasons and had no issues other than the loose nut on throttle control, but that was it. Did great, mowed great, no issues. Just sold it in December and purchased a BX2670 with 60" MMM, FEL, Tiller. Wow, what a difference. This thing is a beast.

Enjoy the GR.