Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 09-13-2019   #1
Jht05016

Equipment: BX2380, landpride box blade/brush hog, 60"MMM
Default BX2380 MMM height too low.

Hello and tank you in advance for any help you can give me! I am now to this forum, and to tractors generally. We had a kubota mower many moons ago but i just recently upgraded to a BX 2380.

Problem: mower is way off height wise and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it adjusted. With the knob set to 4" the blades are at 2.125 inches off the ground. The knob seems to make correctish adjustments from there, meaning that it lowers when you set it lower than 4 inches until it hits the ground. This is with the linkage attachment bolts all the way in (i know thats not how to balance, was just looking for more height so i could get my grass cut). Tire pressure is correct front and back (industrial). Sent it to the dealer, they claim nothing wrong and dropped it back off. Called me while measuring it and said it measured 4 inches when set to 4, dont see how thats possible as i cannot get that to repeat.

Any ideas in where i could start looking? Would like to avoid sending it back and fourth again since i dont have a trailer/they take forever.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jht05016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2019   #2
Boatman
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Default Re: BX2380 MMM height too low.

Yeah that's not right. Mine came from the dealer with a nearly the same discrepancy. Dealer said they adjusted it when new. Ended up downloading the Work Shop Manual and going through the whole setup of the mower. It's perfect now.

You can get the WSM here.... http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/ind...ers%20Manuals/
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019   #3
beex
1st Yr. Apprentice

Default BX2380 MMM height too low.

dumb ass dealer.

here is what i think is probably wrong, the knob you show at 4” is has a round cam bolted to the other end of the shaft the knob is on. This cam sets the mower height buy stopping how much the linkage can lower. That cam could be rotated relative to the indicator knob on top. Try raising the mower with the 3 pt all the way up, and try other positions of the knob, see if you can find a spot that holds the MMM all the way up. There is a position that holds the MMM way above 4”, the top position, that should hold it at 6”. but you have to raise the mower all the way up with each attempt at a new knob position, else you will hit the knob won’t turn past the top position.

if the knob won’t turn 360 degrees with the 3 pt all the way up, you need to adjust the linkage rode which is a bolt with a lock nut at the back of tractor on left side, at the end of the rode pull up the mmm linkage when the 3pt moves up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
beex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019   #4
BAP

Journeyman

Equipment: 2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower

The owners manual for your mower deck that gives the installation instructions for the mower out of the crate, plus how to adjust all the linkage for proper mowing.
Old 09-15-2019   #5
Pat T
1st Yr. Apprentice

Bought mine last year, exact same problem. Knob smashed on the shaft 180 degrees out. New knob and decal (two different part numbers) and reinstall correctly fixed it.
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019   #6
Jht05016

Thanks all for the replies, checked all the specs per everyones guidence in the Manual for setup and everything seems correct. I took off the deck and pulled the knob assembly off, it was pretty floppy. It seems the knob is set correctly in relation to the stepping wheel, but now im thinking it may have been slipping off under the weight if the deck since it was able to be moved laterally due to being loose. I will re install the deck tomorrow and see if that does it!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Jht05016

Quote:
Originally Posted by beex View Post
dumb ass dealer.

here is what i think is probably wrong, the knob you show at 4” is has a round cam bolted to the other end of the shaft the knob is on. This cam sets the mower height buy stopping how much the linkage can lower. That cam could be rotated relative to the indicator knob on top. Try raising the mower with the 3 pt all the way up, and try other positions of the knob, see if you can find a spot that holds the MMM all the way up. There is a position that holds the MMM way above 4”, the top position, that should hold it at 6”. but you have to raise the mower all the way up with each attempt at a new knob position, else you will hit the knob won’t turn past the top position.

if the knob won’t turn 360 degrees with the 3 pt all the way up, you need to adjust the linkage rode which is a bolt with a lock nut at the back of tractor on left side, at the end of the rode pull up the mmm linkage when the 3pt moves up.

Yeah, i realize now why the dealer thought "hey man, it is at 4 inches". He kept the anti scalp wheels down and they were set at 4 inches. So no duh the deck was at 4 inches, it couldnt go lower!

I have everything adjusted and level per specs for every part of the tractor and mower deck now. Still at 2.5 inches. There has to be somthing wrong with the assembly. I took it all apart and verified the linkage was assembled correctly. Still dropping to 2.5 inches.

Think its time to call back my dumbass dealer

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
beex
1st Yr. Apprentice

Frustrating, I was wondering how the dealer measured 4”, that is ridiculous.

When you talk to them ask them if they can guess the difference between a suspended deck and a ground contact deck and how each is supposed to work, and can they guess which type the BX has? I say guess, because seems like they don’t know.

And ask them how does turning the knob pull the scalp wheel pins, move the wheels up or down, and put the pins back in to set the mower height? That’s some magic trick.

I agree, I’m thinking the actual problem is rated to assembly of some kind or a manufacturer defect on the cam, or the linkage lever that rides on the cam.

If I remember correctly the shaft that goes side to side of the frame, has a lever on it, (inside the frame) that rides on the cam. This shaft has linkage levers bolted on the ends of the shaft outside the frame, that pull the deck up. Maybe those leavers are not bolted on correctly on the shaft, so the alignment of the lift arms on the shaft relative to the cam stop on the shaft is incorrect.

I don’t think there is any adjustments in the linkage system from the between the cam lever on the shaft and mower deck, other than the leveling bolts on the deck linkage mounts. And your not going to get another 2” out of those. The next upstream adjustment is the rod connected to the 3pt that controls how high the 3pt will pull up the deck, which doesn’t affect the cam and knob.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
Jht05016

Quote:
Originally Posted by beex View Post
Frustrating, I was wondering how the dealer measured 4”, that is ridiculous.

When you talk to them ask them if they can guess the difference between a suspended deck and a ground contact deck and how each is supposed to work, and can they guess which type the BX has? I say guess, because seems like they don’t know.

And ask them how does turning the knob pull the scalp wheel pins, move the wheels up or down, and put the pins back in to set the mower height? That’s some magic trick.

I agree, I’m thinking the actual problem is rated to assembly of some kind or a manufacturer defect on the cam, or the linkage lever that rides on the cam.

If I remember correctly the shaft that goes side to side of the frame, has a lever on it, (inside the frame) that rides on the cam. This shaft has linkage levers bolted on the ends of the shaft outside the frame, that pull the deck up. Maybe those leavers are not bolted on correctly on the shaft, so the alignment of the lift arms on the shaft relative to the cam stop on the shaft is incorrect.

I don’t think there is any adjustments in the linkage system from the between the cam lever on the shaft and mower deck, other than the leveling bolts on the deck linkage mounts. And your not going to get another 2” out of those. The next upstream adjustment is the rod connected to the 3pt that controls how high the 3pt will pull up the deck, which doesn’t affect the cam and knob.

Yeah im thjnking i have it narrowed down to this part... everything on it is welded so i can only assume that the hook itself is welded about 1/4 inch out of spec allowing that shaft to over rotate.

As for the dealer....well.... im guessing ill spend a good portion of the day explaining this to them...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
beex
1st Yr. Apprentice

oh, looks like in this pic only one side has a bolted on lever, other side is welded on.

Do you have the pic for the cam assembly? is there a spacer of any kind on the adjustment shaft between the bottom cam and the frame piece the shaft goes through that is missing on your tractor?