who needs a cab tractor? how to decide?

flyingbrass

Equipment
L2350
Feb 6, 2016
Arkansas
tired of being hot? tired of the sun? want music and tired of being cold? tired of wasp nests? any input would be great, please list the pluses and minus of having a cab tractor vs non cab tractor

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Pluses: Well you already stated them: comfort in hot/cold conditions, no dust, bugs, thorns, etc.

Minuses: Gets in the way around trees and in the woods, less visibility, makes tractor more top-heavy, getting on/off slightly more difficult, mirrors and doors can get snagged and broken, costs more, a hassle if you have a backhoe.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Grandad4 pretty much covered it, but I'll add allergies to that. Even with a cab I must often wear a particulate filter mask. A day on an open station will mean a visit to an ER in all likelihood, for some Claritin etc. will do.

One thing I found handy was the savings in time by using a cab. If I had plans to attend an event and needed to do a quick one hour job with my open station, I would have to factor in a shower and change of clothes, so some things just didn't get done.

Some of the cab vulnerability can be addressed, I added brush guards on mine.

One I almost forgot is do you have or need more than one tractor? We've found we really need an open station from time to time. We have a mixture of open land and woods.

flyingbrass

Equipment
L2350
Feb 6, 2016
Arkansas
I'm keeping my small L2350 4wd tractor for the small stuff but I'm really wanting to upgrade to a big one to share the work with the L2350. I think it would be cool to have a cab and would probably enjoy having a cab. Just trying to get some opinions.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Well it's all personal preference, but having that small open station tractor also, makes the decision a whole lot easier. I'd go cab if I were you, just because you have the other tractor when needed.

For me I only wanted one tractor so I went open station. The only time I want a cab is when it gets colder than minus 30*C/minus 20*F and is windy. Then it gets cold on the face snow blowing. Otherwise I love being out in the open.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I'm keeping my small L2350 4wd tractor for the small stuff but I'm really wanting to upgrade to a big one to share the work with the L2350. I think it would be cool to have a cab and would probably enjoy having a cab. Just trying to get some opinions.
My brother, like me has been operating tractors for about 60 years. He has several and until last year had never been on one of my cab tractors or any for that matter and always said he didn't see the need and wouldn't want one.

I had some significant health issues and couldn't operate anything, so to keep from hauling one of our open stations between farms,(he and I own tractors/farms independently and separately) he used the cab ones on my two farms and he sure did a 180 and his next tractor will be a cab. For many of us, the ideal situation is one or more of each.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
What convinced me that I needed a cab was snow blowing. I had used a rear 3 pont blower on an open station for many years but just for certain parts of the driveway and around some buildings. I have a 4x4 pickup with a plow for most of the snow removal. I want to get to the point of not needing to purchase another truck & plow when this one gets old. I first fitted a small front blower on a B7100. Staying out in a noreaster long enough to do my complete snow removal and when the wind shifts and I would get covered in snow quickly convinced me that a cab was the way to go. This past winter I got my B2410 with a cab. It has changed the snow blowing to a rather fun job. Now that it is spring I am beginning to see some of the drawbacks to the cab like limited visibility and clearance around trees. I guess everything is a trade off.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As much as I would love to have a cab, the trees in the orchard would clean it off in no time and down through the woods, not a good thing. But if I didnt have to contend with those things ,,,,OH YEAH I WOULD HAVE A CAB!!!!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A cab is very nice for all the reasons listed, but I don't prefer one. The obstruction of view and inability to access controls while away from the seat (dad's JD only has one door, and you have to climb in to adjust the throttle, or raise/lower the 3 point, adjust the loader, etc.) are a detraction for me. I prefer an open station. Along with that, the side windows only open marginally, and the back window, while it opens wider, doesn't allow outside air to flow in very readily. So, in the summer, it's either A/C or swelter. I prefer fresh air, myself. The only time I use the A/C in my truck is if Mrs Hodge is riding with me.
Those are preferences, not absolutes. Not trying to sway your decision, just stating why I prefer what I do- they may be of value.