Opinions wanted please

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
Was to the dealer looking at a BH 90 backhoe attachment for my L3010, was wondering who's got one and their take on them. Quoted me about $9700 plus tax with installation, was alot more then i was hoping to hear :(

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
We had a Woods hoe in the past. I dont think it was a BH90 but we we're verry pleased with how it worked. Woods makes some of the better equipment out there for tractors. And yeah $9500 is about the right price for a new hoe you'll find anywhere, unless you look for a used one online.

Tractorhouse has a few hoes for sale used.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1147&Manu=WOODS

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
I see the Chinese type backhoe attachments and even the Wallenstein ones that hok to the 3 pt hitch...I was told stay clear of the 3 pt type due to breaking the housing on the tractor from their weight haning off them over time? Chinese models are about $5000 cheaper, or is it a case of you get what you pay for :confused:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Not really sure what to tell you on that one bro. I've never heard of the Wallenstein brand before. And you could be very right, if its that cheap then there's a pretty good reason why. Spend a little extra thats a good one and will last you a while. Your grand kids could inherit the tractor and backhoe. The hoe we had mounted to the 3pth and we never had a mintues problem or anything break on the tractor because of it. Keep in mind a hoe this small is not a Cat excavator, it has its limits and will break in half if you try to over load it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My former backhoe was built by woods even though it said Kubota on it. I used it for quite a while but it didn't even stand the pressure my B 7100 put on it and broke all to pieces. I replaced it with a Kubota model 4672 backhoe. The woods had a much more rigid mounting system than the 3pt type the 4672 has. I haven't had any problem with the new one but I always keep in mind that it is only hooked to my lift arms. The 4690 would be a much better match for my L 3000 I currently own but I can't justify getting rid of the one I have now. It's in to good of shape for no more than I use it. I bought it new and it cost $6000 installed. If I was planning on a lot of use I would go with a rigid mount type instead of a 3pt mount just for the extra strength.

My thoughts about anything made in china would be to leave it in china. They have done enough to ruin our economy. I try to buy American made when it's possible even if it does cost a little more. That's just my humble opinion though.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
One thing too is Vic is always saying that the Chinese front end loaders are a little parts challanged. Maybe the same goes for the backhoe's. Might not be able to find parts when needed.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
I've got to agree with Bulldog on the Chinese stuff. You get what you pay for and less.

I have a Woods backhoe that I haven't had the chance to try out yet, but it will be frame mounted. I have a BH6500 that I bought used and still haven't "saved" that mythical dollar yet. See my post about my "new" tractor additions. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283

I can fully understand the advice that most people give to stay away from a 3 PTH backhoe when you think of all of the downforce you will need to use to dig up just a small bucket full of dirt. Too much chance to do some real harm, but then again you might treat it more lightly than a frame mounted rig and save the backhoe the damages.

I guess you have to gauge what you need it for and then make the decision based on if it will do the job.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I agree with you Green Mountain Slim. It is very important to think about the type of work the backhoe will be doing. I have been using my 4672 3pt hitch backhoe for 12 yrs now without any trouble at all. But I always keep in mind that it is only mounted on my lift arms. I Miss the frame mounted type I had before every time I dig with mine. I don't want to break my baby. I guess a person could try and treat it like a regular backhoe but I really do think it would be a mistake. I don't think you would be thinking it might break but would wander when it will break. I have found on mine that you need to leave one of the back tires on the ground. On level ground I apply just enough pressure with the outriggers to keep it from sliding back. It really makes a big difference doing it this way. One thing that Kubota did that helps quite a bit is that the outriggers are at a angle instead of being straight out to the side. The pads really get a nice firm bite on the ground and the angle they sit at and when you pull the stick in it seems to make them just grip even tighter. The one big plus to the 3pt unit is the quick change over. On level ground I can drop mine off almost as quick as any other 3pt type implement. That really helps when I am on a job where I may need to do grade work with my box scrape after the digging is done. If a person plans to put a bachoe on and leave it most of the time the rigid mount would be worth the extra money though. They are without a doubt a much stronger made unit and can take just about anything you can put them thru.

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
I've pretty much decided to stay clear of the chinese ones, and also the 3 pt hitch models too for the simple fact I don't want to be using it worrying all the time if i'm putting to much strain on it. One interesting thing this weekend, I got a quote from a Kubota dealer other then my local Kubota dealer, he claims the BH90 model is to big and they don't even offer a frame mount kit for my 3010, so i'm not sure what my local dealer was talking :confused:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would say the Kubota 4690 is about the perfect size for a 3010. It is a 3pt but if you treat it right you will be fine. I'm not saying the 3pt is better than a rigid but if that is all you can get there's not much that can be done. I had a rigid mount woods backhoe before on my B 7100. The 4672 is a lot heavier than the woods is. At that time I was using a tilt bed trailer to move the tractor around. When I went to pick it up after having the new one installed I couldn't pull on the trailer any more. I had to back up on so the floor would tilt down. The front tires didn't have enough weight on them to make it tilt.

The only reason I told that story was to show the weight difference between the to. The Kubota backhoe is almost twice as heavy as the woods. That is not far from the truth. The woods was a rigid mount to. The guys at the dealer told me that Kubota started to build their own backhoes because they wanted to make them heavier in problem areas. If you haven't seen one yet make the dealer show you the specs on a 4690. You might like it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
As long as you dont get stupid with the backhoe and try to do more things with a 3pt mount then its intended to you'll be fine. We ran a 3pt mount in a landscape business and never had a mintues problem with the hoe. The 3pt hitch just holds the hoe to the tractor and the outriggers take the brunt of the shock. You NEVER and I mean NEVER plant the out riggers all the way down to where it picks up the ass end of the tractor in the air. Thats way to much weight on the arms and they can and will break. I know cause I've done it. The out riggers are designed to hold the tractor still and more importantly to keep the tractor from rolling over when you swing the boom from side to side.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You can lift it up just a little bit but not a whole great deal where the tires are like a foot or more off the ground.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Eric,
I just had to rib you just a little to make sure you were paying attention. I knew what you meant.

That is the way I do mine as well. It works good as long as one tire is on the ground. On uneven ground I get it leveled up and have just enough pressure on the uphill outrigger to keep it from sliding back.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You want to see wrong go to Youtube and put "Liehberr Excavator climbing tower."

That dude in the video has a hell of a set. Damn.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I agree with you about the skills for sure. I don't think I would want to be in the position where I has to depend on hydrolic lines that much just to put on a show. Just imagine what would have happened if one blew when he had that thing standing straight up at the end of the demo.