gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
So guys here is where I am at..

I bought a used L3600DT
The tractor obviously had a good owner before as every filter is marked with the Hours that it was last replaced.. I got though the Winter leaving everything alone, but now with the warmer weather here I want to dump and change everything..

I read the Manual, not a huge help there :(

It recommends Super UDT then says use either SUDT, UDT or 80-90
The tractor is mostly used for these jobs in order of importance to me

1. Blowing and scraping snow
2. Road gravel maintenance
3. Light duty plowing in the Garden
4 General work around the ranch

I live in North Idaho but honestly it doesn't get that cold up here, we get snow but we really don't dip below 0 often at all, Winter here hovers more in the 20-30 range..

I bought a 5 Gallon tub of the Walmart brand for the old tractor and never used it, that is rated for Kubota UDT

Thoughts, Advise, Help :) ????

I would rather spend the extra money and do it right once, then have to replace it during the winter, however money is money so if I don't need to spend extra money I don't want to :p

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Use 80w-90 in the front axle.
Use Chevron Delo or Shell Rotella in the engine.
Use a tractor brand hydraulics oil for the transmission and hydraulics. Kubota, New Holland, Case, that sort. If you have lots of money you could use a synthetic like Amsoil but it is not necessary except under extreme conditions.

Oh, and change all the filters. Wix has tested better than Kubota filters but it is your choice. They all should work fine.

Do not use Walmart, Sam's Club, Tractor Supply oils. They may state that they are a replacement (rated) for Kubota UDT but under analysis and actual use they just don't measure up. I've been there and done that.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Service Dept Vic has mentioned in the past that he himself has used Wal-mart brand UDT and it works fine for him. He's recommended it in use for older tractors.

I look at it from the standpoint that Kubota or any tractor maker does not own an oil refinery. They buy oils and lubes from OPEC and put it in their bottle mark it up and charge you threw the nose for it.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Prior poster was generally correct that namebranded oils are almost always simply repackaged for marketing purposes. Have used WalMart (and Tractor Supply and Atwoods and NAPA and O'Reilly and others) fluids in older non-warranty non-Kubota tractors and they work. I make certain the AW/ISO/viscosity rating is the same as the machine calls for. I will not use the--usually cheapest--non-labeled one-fits-all 'tractor hydraulic' fluids.

Sidepoint: WM motor oils. As long as API specs (see the API star seal) on bottle are called out, should work, cheaper, and who cares? Consumer Reports has quit reviewing engine oils because their tests have shown that with todays computer control mixing plants the consistency to meet API specs is virtually perfect.

Back to fluids, particularly hydraulics. Each brand in theory has its own admixture package, usually under license from a proprietary lab / packager you'd never know exists.

I've had good results using Chevron TH-1000 in most everything. On one Kubota with 8-sp GlideShift xmsn works better with Kubota SUDT compared to anything else, even plain UDT. No experience with the latest third generation 'UDT' fluids now at your dealer.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
AHHA! That was the reference I was referring too. I knew I heard it some where but could not remember if it was in print or video!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use Amsoil Synthetic in everything. It's not that the cheaper fluids won't work, it's the fact that they don't work as good.

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
LOL so have you heard the one about the guy that was bound and determined to at least try the actual Kubota Super UDT just once regardless of cost :) Yeah he would need to drive nearly 250 miles round trip to do that :( So after talking with 3 different sets of Service guys and Parts guys at 3 different Kubota dealers.. Here was the info I dredged up between them and the internet..

"There are maybe 2 different models of tractor that actually needed the SUDT because their Hydraulic Ports were rather small and the standard UDT "could" plug during extreme cold"

"New Holland NH-134 is our goto replacement"

"Doesn't really matter just so long as it is UDT compatible"

"Yeah if you don't have an HST you can use anything, but with an FEL you might want to use a UDT spec instead of 80-90"

"Buy the Chevron stuff it is the same"

Interesting adventure to say the least :) many thanks for the input on here

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Oh, and change all the filters. Wix has tested better than Kubota filters but it is your choice. They all should work fine.
I did that and yes they work fine, plus the WIX (51307) is available locally for my oil changes..

I went with the Valvoline 15-40 API Diesel rated, I have always had good luck with Castrol and Valvoline brands so I stuck with it..

Still having to order in the WIX Hydraulic(57098) Air (46483) and Fuel Filter (33507)

Last edited:

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I did that and yes they work fine, plus the WIX (51307) is available locally for my oil changes..

I went with the Valvoline 15-40 API Diesel rated, I have always had good luck with Castrol and Valvoline brands so I stuck with it..

Still having to order in the WIX Hydraulic(57098) Air (46483) and Fuel Filter (33507)
another thread discovered that Kubota SUDT is made by Valvoline

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Look on Rock Auto for those filters, they usually have good prices,

But you need to compare to Messicks and Colemans just to make sure.

You can substitute a Wix 51515 oil filter for the HH164-32430, or a Fram 8a.

Just a little longer...

I usually use Shell Rotella T6 in 5W-40, or its hard to find little brother, 0w-40.
Look online at Advanced Auto for the 0w-40....

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

May want to do some more research on your filters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMrI791m-pU

The company I worked for tried going with wix. Counting down time we lost over a million. Had several engines fail do to bad filters.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Wix 51365 is the short version of that filter, the HH150-32430

Wix 51356 is the long...

Both the Wix and Fram web sites convert Kubota HH150-32430 to the short version.

My car runs the short version of Wix, the 51365...
I run the long, 51356.
No problems, oil volume goes from 3.7 to exactly 4 quarts...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

So you've got 6 years on those filters? Now that's doing a good long term experiment! :)

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Short vs Long filter

Using the short filter means that I can actually snake my hand in there and change the filter WITHOUT having to take the lower panels off..

This means that I change the filter easily and like clockwork :p

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Great, after all I had heard about WIX being really good just great :confused:
I only use Kubota filters, fluids, now that's another story.

I order all of mine in from Coleman's, for us up here it's cheaper and easier than dealing with Boundry or CDA Kubota. ;)

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
First, take a visual comparison of different products as entertainment only. No data was presented as to the filtering quality or durability of the filter media. Bigger could mean lower quality media.
Second, no Wix filters were presented. They were NAPA built to Napa specifications. Maybe the filters were contract built in a Wix factory, that does not make them a Wix filter unless it comes out of a Wix box. Also, NAPA may use multiple manufactures to source filters, all built to the same specification.
I can't help but wonder why an actual Wix filter was not used?
Does Wix offer three grades of filters in Wix boxes?
Entertainment!

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I doubt Kubota filters are built in a Kubota factory. Prob Wix :eek:
In case you are wondering I run Kubota, trust Wix and Purolator based on my personal experience.