Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tractor Operating

Tractor Operating Wondering what that strange lever does, how to safely hill climb or get into 4WD? Discover and share how to get the most out of your tractor.

Old 12-04-2009   #21
dookanooka
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B6000
Default Re: B series Three Point Hitch compatibility

Thanks Dusty-t, that makes sense! I might just take off that pump and check it out.
cheers,
Dookanooka

Last edited by dookanooka; 12-04-2009 at 04:49 AM.
dookanooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2009   #22
Service Dept Vic

Ya, it doesn't look like oil has been around that track for awhile. Interesting that you could not remove the piston case cover. I wonder if that piston is not rusted into the cylinder bore????

Oh Ya! We've got that!
Service Dept Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #23
dookanooka
1st Yr. Apprentice

hi Vic/Dusty-t, so, it sounds like that piston cover should come off without much trouble...interesting! It did feel odd, it twists left and right, top and bottom about 2mm, but take pressure off and it returns back into position. I was reluctant to really give it some stick, but wasn't exactly gentle.To me it felt like something rubbery with a memory was holding it in. Maybe it was the O ring twisting and it's the piston that's seized then.

I'm still a bit confused over why the rockshaft had an inch odd of rotating play when I first got the tractor, and now having moved the lever forward and got the grinding noise, there's no movement whatsoever?

I'm thinking i'll get a new pump, swap it over and get some oil circulating round and hope that gets everything moving again. If that doesn't work, I have a feeling things might get complicated, and perhaps I should cross that bridge if I come to it!

thanks guys, i'll keep you posted,

cheers,
Dookanooka
Old 12-11-2009   #24
dookanooka
1st Yr. Apprentice

hi,
I just ran the tractor for a few minutes with the existing pump and a proper level of transmission oil. It seems the problem is now showing itself elsewhere, no noise from the pump now, so that was I guess to do with the low oil level before. I'm still not 100% sure the pumps working, but the effect on the engine I mention below suggests something, whatever that might be, hahaha.

Now when the control valve lever is pulled towards the back of the tractor there is a little vibration felt from around the control valve area, a kind of screech 2/3rds backwards and finally it seems to change the tractors revs, the engine acts like i'm reducing the diesel to it. Push it forward and nothing happen at all. The rockshaft doesn't turn at all. So what do you think might be going on here?

thanks,
Dookanooka
Old 12-14-2009   #25
dookanooka
1st Yr. Apprentice

hi Vic,
How would I get that piston case cover off. Would a couple of pry bars or something of that sort be the only way? How would you go about it? While the control lever/valve appears to be vibrating and acting strangely, it does seem highly likely that piston is stuck.

much appreciate any assistance,
cheers,
Dookanooka
Old 12-14-2009   #26
dusty-t
4th Yr. Apprentice

Hey dookanooka, You can try the pry bars but I think I would spray some penetrating oil in if you can get the top to lift at all. Then let it sit for an hour. And try it again. Lots of aluminum on these tractors and its not very forgiving when it comes to hard knocks. Good luck and maybe someone else will chime in here with a better idea. dusty
dusty-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009   #27
dookanooka
1st Yr. Apprentice

Default Inside the piston cover, looking in the bore!

Well, I got another chance to look over the tractor. I left the penetrating oil in as you suggested Dusty-t and the cover came off with some force (for some reason I thought WD-40 or similar wouldn't go well here...). So, I syringed out some more burnt smelling and gunky oil that had I guess been sitting on the flat for long enough that there is a little surface rust on the top of the bore where the oil wasn't. Also, there's evidence of a ring of rust halfway up the bore where I presume the piston sat for a while. However, the piston looks to be right back in the chamber and I can't tell if it's stuck but at the bottom it doesn't look rusted. There's a little pitting in the underside of the piston cover, within the circle, and bits of light rust, but after cleaning it doesn't look as bad as in the pictures.

So, are we veering back to the pump here! Or, could this explain why the rockshaft won't turn at all anymore, perhaps the piston was in the middle, now it's gone down? Does it shed any light on the reason for no movement in the rockshaft 3PH?! Also, I don't suppose someone could explain the movement of the oil through here ordinarily.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Tomorrow I will start her up again, run her for a few minutes and take a look inside that piston cover again to see if any oils made it in...although it looks like no new oil has made it there for quite a while.

thanks,
Dookanooka
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R0010956.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	890   Click image for larger version

Name:	R0010960.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	891   Click image for larger version

Name:	R0010961.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	892  

Last edited by dookanooka; 12-21-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2009   #28
dusty-t
4th Yr. Apprentice

Hey dookanooka, glad you got it apart. I was going to say something about the wd40 contaminating your hydraulic oil but I was also thinking by the time you are done with this little project, you will have to change it anyway. I am thinking that you should be able to move the piston by moving the rock shaft. It might not move easy but you should be able to move it. Do you have the arms for the rock shaft. If not it may be hard to get enough leverage to move the piston. There is only hydraulic pressure one way on the piston and I think the oil comes in from the top. I could be wrong on any number of things here , so take my advise with a certain amount of caution. Hope I have helped a little anyway. Keep us posted and pics lots of pics. dusty
Old 01-06-2010   #29
dookanooka
1st Yr. Apprentice

So, onto the next thing i'd like to check...has anyone removed the rear case? I'm following the thought that the piston is stuck at the bottom of its travel so need to get behind it. My rear case isn't wanting to budge. Surely it's not pressurised, so would it just be a matter of rust like the piston cover?

Would I need new packing should I do this? How would you remove the rear case?

thanks,
Dookanooka

Last edited by dookanooka; 01-06-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2010   #30
dusty-t
4th Yr. Apprentice

Hi Dookanooka. I am afraid I can't be much help here other than just normal taking old stuff apart knoSledge. No I did not misspell. If you can see that it has a gasket, then I would loosen not remove all of the bolts about an 1/8 of an inch. Then use a wedge and a small ball peen and tap the wedge in a bit all around the plate. Or as much as you can reach of the plate. you may have to do this a couple or 3 times to loosen the plate. Patience is a virtue, The bolts stay in so the plate does'nt go smashing onto the floor. Good luck and keep us posted. dusty

Tags
3ph, b6000, hitch, hydraulics, tph