Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Off Topic

Off Topic Got something to share but it's not strictly related to your favorite orange tractor? Post it here!

Old 09-15-2019   #21
SidecarFlip

Master Tech

Equipment: M9000HDCC3 / M105X / M9000HD
Default Re: Talk about BS

Waste Management blows and Republic sucks. We have a local refuse hauler that keeps getting bigger and bigger as people quit WM and Republic.

IMO, that recycle crap is just that. I've watched WM dump the 'recycle' can in the back end with everything else and they charge extra for that.

We don't recycle anything anymore. All goes in the can and off to the landfill. Outta sight outta mind.

I think personally that picking up garbage and rubbish, the more you can soak a customer the more you make because no matter what company picks up your stuff, the tipping fee is the same.

Besides, garbage men get to pick through the stuff in search of treasures. Amazing what some people throw away...
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2019   #22
m.t.hands
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
IMO, that recycle crap is just that. I've watched WM dump the 'recycle' can in the back end with everything else and they charge extra for that.

We don't recycle anything anymore. All goes in the can and off to the landfill. Outta sight outta mind.

i believe a lot of places it is a scam (paying for services not provided) i was recently at a facility and they were emptying regular and recycle cans all into the same compactor, so i ask the guy, and he says "doesn't matter it's all going to the same place" think it was repubic
m.t.hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019   #23
sheepfarmer

Equipment: L3560, John Deere Gator, Ingersoll mower, Ford 8N tractor that is a little young

It apparently all depends. A lot of recyclable material was going to China and now they don't want it. Also the price has dropped, and so the places to send it have dried up. So while the big companies like Granger and Waste Management used to hand sort the stuff out of the recycle truck, it may not be profitable so of course they don't. I'll ask if they are still doing it around here. The company I use is very particular about what they will take, but I imagine there are plenty of jerks that can't keep it straight about which types of plastic will recycle and which won't. I am not sure what happens to the consumer presorted stuff that goes into the big dumpsters that are available at the university and some townships.

Pity really.
Old 09-15-2019   #24
Redlands
3rd Yr. Apprentice

China has probably gotten far enough along with their resource assets and supply chains to no longer need the recycling materials.
Redlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019   #25
SidecarFlip

Master Tech

Equipment: M9000HDCC3 / M105X / M9000HD

There is an outfit near us called Clean Tech that recycles used plastic and makes it into pellets for extrusion. Where they get their feedstock I have no idea but it's a going concern, they just expanded their building and hired some more employees. Could be all the soft drink bottles that Michigan charges a 10 cent deposit on for all I know. I do know that the local Kroger store has a whole row of bottle eaters in the back.
Old 09-15-2019   #26
twomany
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7200

Trash and organized crime have always been closely affiliated.

It is the EXception that proves the rule!
twomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240

The rest of the story. To cancel the unknown to me agreement we signed required a letter dated no more than 180 day, and not less then 90 days from the signed agreement date sent by certified mail.

So with their teams of lawyers you jump through the hoops, and if you stumble one time you on the hook for another 5 years!

I send the letter a week ago and asked for a confirmation email, so I know we are on the same page. Got a phone call today letting me know they have the necessary paperwork and as of this coming March 1, my accounts with WM are closed. Oh, but wait. Two totes at two locations. They have to pick up the totes. Cost.....$150 per tote!!!! I told that lady NO WAY. She said she was giving me a break, they normally charge $185. I told here I would deliver them to the same place I picked them up years ago, all four of them. It's two miles from my house. So who do I have sign for the receipt of these totes? I will have a printed paper ready for someone to sign saying they received them, that's for sure.

The wanted to do anything to "earn" my business. When I said my last invoice was $65 plus $5.80 surcharge, and residence in the same town are charged $16 for the same service....you can't earn my business. I'm going else wear.

After dealing with Waste Management this quote came to mind. "The more people I know, the more I understand why Noah only let animals on the boat."

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."
D2Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #28
michigander
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2601

our township stopped re cycling last year it was all going in one bin

plastic Is going in landfill , rather than dumping below in landfill

cardboard I take to work dump in crusher gets recycled
metal cans go to township metal scrap bin
glass and newspaper goes to another city recycling
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29
fruitcakesa
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M 6040

At our transfer station[formerly "the dump"] we still have "zero sort" recycling but I don't know where it goes or what they do with it.
The fellow who operates the station checks in the recycling dumpster after someone puts in a load and pulls out all the deposit bottles and cans that many [most?] folks throw away.
He gives half the deposit to our local VFD and with his half pays his health insurance premium
It is mind boggling what some folks consider trash and just pitch.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30
dlsmith

2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX2230, LA211

My daughter lived in The Netherlands a couple of years ago and said that everything except food waste was recycled.

There is no reason products couldn't be packaged in recyclable paterials, other than the marketing departments want "pretty" packaging so more suckers will buy them.

I recently spent 4 or 5 hours disassembling and old Xerox copier so I could recycle everything possible. Most of the plastic components were ABS and there were a few small aluminum parts and steel parts and screws. The electronic parts went in with the computer mobos and expansion cards.
Only had about 3 or 4 pounds of non-recyclable parts out of a 50+lb copier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181223_131041777 (Custom).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	45012  

Last edited by dlsmith; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:40 PM.
dlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote