Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Buying Advice, Recommendations & Pricing

Buying Advice, Recommendations & Pricing Looking at starting or growing your Kubota equipment collection? Unsure if you have found a good deal or not?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
SidecarFlip

Master Tech

Equipment: M9000HDCC3 / M105X / M9000HD
Default Re: Hours vs Years on Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchonline View Post
Years are all about garage kept vs. outside. If outside years really matter.

especially with Kubota paint, it turns pink.
Advertisement
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
fruitcakesa
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M 6040

Mary Kay roof and rear fenders on mine.
Dealer said the PO stored it inside but backed up to a window in the barn and thus the pink rears.
1100 hrs on a 2010 mostly used for haying and hauling maple sugar gear around. No heavy work, bucket still had most all of its paint.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
General

You canít have much fun with just 10 hours a year. Thanks for all the information, it will help for the next
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
Missouribound
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
Ycouldn***8217;t but I***8217;d have to find what I want in stock of course.

OK...I give up...what is ***8217 supposed to mean??
Missouribound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
PaulL
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: bx2350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
OK...I give up...what is ***8217 supposed to mean??
It means you had a smart quote instead of a normal quote in your text. Often means you copied and pasted from a Microsoft product that makes smart quotes. Basically you can replace that with ' and it then reads fine.
PaulL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
GeoHorn

3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900

Iím not the most experienced tractor-guy present but it appears to me that itís common for tractors to do a lot of sitting for the average guy who has a job other than tractor-work. Even tractors used in agriculture are often found sitting for long periods in the off-season.
That said, sitting is hard on internal combustion engines. They rust internally. Every day the temperature warms and the air inside expands/expels....then every night it cools and humid air is sucked back inside. Without hot oil being distributed regularly the insides suffer.
About the only thing worse than sitting.... Is the guy who thinks heís doing the engine good by the occasional startíer up and run it 20 minutes...then shutíer back down for another month. Each time fossil fuel is burned the by-product is carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and... WATER VAPOR which incorporates into the oil to sit and eat away at the insides. If that oil isnít brought up to HOT and KEPT THERE for an hour youíre doing more harm than good. Sitting engines need oil changes too. So does transmissions and hydraulic systems. They also have seals that need hot oil applied to keep them soft and pliable.
I have had good experience with old under-used tractors however. They are not fine wrist-watches...they are heavy-duty industrial machines that are sturdy and well constructed. My 1996 Kubota M4700 had less than 400 hrs on it after 20 years of mostly sitting in a shed and other than mouse-eaten wiring that required troubleshooting/repair itís clearly a great machine with many years of service ahead of it. I expect my great grandkids will enjoy it also.
GeoHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
SidecarFlip

Master Tech

Equipment: M9000HDCC3 / M105X / M9000HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcakesa View Post
Mary Kay roof and rear fenders on mine.
Dealer said the PO stored it inside but backed up to a window in the barn and thus the pink rears.
1100 hrs on a 2010 mostly used for haying and hauling maple sugar gear around. No heavy work, bucket still had most all of its paint.
Both my M's are a nice shade of Mary Kay pink as well. Quality top coat Kubota uses....
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
Missouribound
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulL View Post
It means you had a smart quote instead of a normal quote in your text. Often means you copied and pasted from a Microsoft product that makes smart quotes. Basically you can replace that with ' and it then reads fine.
Thank you.
Missouribound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #19
hugho
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchonline View Post
Years are all about garage kept vs. outside. If outside years really matter.
We have long had an expression for old but low mile equipment. We call it the "TIME TERMITE". It does matter whether stored inside or outside but of course the climate matters. If you stored it outside in London there would be more disuse damage than stored in the desert in California where military and civilian aircraft sit for years until they are needed and they hold up well if they are sealed up .
hugho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hours vs years