Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 02-28-2009   #1
NEIL G

Equipment: l2550,scraper blade,snowblower
Angry Will not move upon initial start-up

Hi there . I am new to this site and have a question regarding my newly acquired l2550.upon initial start-up after warming up for 5-10 mins. I can put the lever in forward or reverse and the shuttle into any gear and the tractor will not move.however if i shut the tractor off and restart it it will go and then i have no more problems. Could this be a weak hydraulic pump? Or would this be clutch related?how can i tell if this tractor has a "wet clutch "?the tractor runs perfect otherwise .this is starting to frustrate me thanks in advance. Neil
NEIL G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2009   #2
Service Dept Vic

Default Re: Will not move upon initial start-up

Hi Neil, Thanks for comming to our site. If your L2550 is a GST tractor, then it is possible that the problem is hydraulic related, although it may not be the pump, yet!

Since it's newly acquired you may not have some of the history to rule certain things out. Did it do it when you bought it? Did the problem just occur? Have you "done" anything to the tractor, or was another repair conducted in a different area of the tractors operating system?

Kubota outlines the following troubleshooting methods and flow chart for an L2550 with the service complaint: "Tractor Does not Move" (under no load)

Before getting into reading this flow chart make sure your tractor is in fact a GST Model, check identification plate, must say L2550DT-GST.

Type and amount of transmission oil conform to Kubota specification?
If NO-drain and replace with correct fluid
If Yes-check Front End Loader or lower link of 3 Point, does it
rise up correctly?

If NO-clogged Hydraulic Filter or Faulty Hydraulic Pump
If YES-Does Power Steering Operate?

If NO-Faulty Hydraulic Pump on the Power Steering Side
If YES-Measure the pressure at port 5, pressure rise conforms to the
pressure table (P5)?

If YES-Worn clutch pack disc (only work under load) Fault other than
GST system (broken shift fork, worn main clutch etc)
If NO-measure pressure at port 6., pressure rise conforms to the
pressure table P6?

If NO-Prescribed pressure is achieved only on shift position "N"-
Faulty clutch pack sealing
If NO-Prescribed pressure is below the prescribed level in all shifts
"N" to 8th", then measure the pressure of port 7, pressure
rise conforms to the pressure table P7?

If YES-prescribed pressure at port 6 conforms to pressure table P6,
then measure the pressure at port 3. Pressure rise conforms to
pressure table P3?
If NO-prescribed pressure at P7 is below the prescribed pressure
level in all shifts from "N" to 8th"-Fault in the relief valve or
reducing valve

If pressure measured to P3, conforms to the pressure table (P3),
then measure the pressure at port 4 to see if it conforms to the
pressure table for P4

If presure measured at P3 does not conform, Fault in the shuttle
shift spool valve, gate valve, (shuttle gate) or rotary valve

If pressure measured at P4 conforms to the pressure chart for P4,
then measure the pressure at P1, pressure rise coconforms to the
the pressure table for P1?

If pressure measured at P4 does not conform, Fault in Hi-Lo shift
spool valve, gate valve (Hi-Lo gate) or rotary valve

If the pressure measured at P1 conforms to the pressure chart for P1
then measure the pressure at port 2, pressure rise conforms to the
pressure table for P2?

If the pressure measured at P1 does not conform, Fault is in the
3rd to 4th shift spool valve, gate valve (3-4 gate) or rotary valve

If the pressure measured at P2 conforms to the pressure chart for
P2-Fault of Modulating Valve or gate valve

If the pressure measured at P2 does not conform, Fault is 1-2nd
shift spool valve, gate valve (1-2 gate) or rotary valve
This is a long involved process of diagnosis for a GST Kubota that won't move when shifted! I'm winded just typing the procedure out!

However, I think an important piece of your information is "after shutting tractor off it then moves and there is no problem", leading me to think that the hydraulic filter is plugged on your tractor.

Shutting down causes a back flow of residual pressure that clears the blockage at the filter allowing the tractor to move. Here's your homework assignment-hey, it's gonna take some work at your end too!

Dump the trans oil-all 7 and a half gallons of it! There are two hydraulic filters on the L2550GST, one serves the P/Steering circuit, the other the transmission, change them both! Make sure to fill the filters with new oil before spinning them on. Fill the tractors transmission and see if this fixes your problem. If it doesn't, then it needed to be done anyway! Report back and let us know what you find. I have a few ideas if your tractor is a mechanical shuttle shift as well!

Oh Ya! We've got that!

Last edited by Service Dept Vic; 03-02-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Service Dept Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #3
NEIL G

Talking Re: Will not move upon initial start-up

Thanks for the reply.the i.d. Plate reads l2550d-82056.there are stickers on the rear fenders that indicate it is a gst.i did in fact have a small crack in the delivery pipe(on a l2650 kubota part#32430-3821-0)which i didnt notice till i had lost almost all the hyd. Fluid.i refilled it again after replacing the pipe but overfilled the fluid past the viewing window(too small to see the little air bubble level indicator).i since took out approx 6-8 l. How did you know i had no power steering at first till the tractor moves?? I think we are finally zooming in on the problem.i look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks.
P.s. I cant tell if it has been happening from the start because when i bought it i immediately put it my shop,tore it apart-replaced both rear fenders-both foot steps-comp.seat floor and re-assembled.1st time out again blew the line(we use way to much salt here in ontario.)thanks
Old 03-02-2009   #4
Service Dept Vic

With fresh oil in there and new filters on the Hydraulic Circuit, let me know what you have!

Oh Ya! We've got that!
Old 03-03-2009   #5
NEIL G

I HAD A CHANCE TO CHANGE THE FLUIDS TODAY AFTER WORK.LOOKING AT MY OWNERS MANUAL IT LOOKS LIKE THE TALL FILTER(KUBOTA#30400-37710)GOES ON THE LEFTWITH THE SHORTER ONE(30401-37580)BESIDE IT ON THE RIGHT. THIS IS THE WAY I PUT THEM ON.HOWEVER LOOKING AT THE PARTS MANUAL I THINK I HAVE THE FILTERS ON WRONG.I COULDNT TELL WITH THE OLD ONES BECAUSE THEY BOTH WERE THE SAME SIZE AND WERENT GENUINE KUBOTA FILTERS.PROBLEM IS NOW THE TRACTOR WONT MOVE AT ALL.NO FORWARD-NO REVERSE-NO NOTHING .IDLES LIKE A CHARM THOUGH. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEIL:confused
Old 03-03-2009   #6
NEIL G

Vic i've put some pictures of the tractor in the gallery.if you look at the right side you can see two filters.one white and one black.the white one is where i put the kubota filter(#30400-37710)
hope this helps a bit.
Old 03-04-2009   #7
Service Dept Vic

Niel, you're just havin' a hell of a time with the Glideshift Kubota!

Ok, the hydraulic filter is the longer of the two filters, and is installed closest to the hydraulic pump, just about right underneath it. It contains a metal mesh screen. The shorter filter, is the P/Steering filter, and it's installed closest to the radiator. It's element on the inside is paper.

It's important when these filters are changed that you fill them with oil before spinning them on, otherwise the hydraulic pump won't "prime" itself. I'll bet if you fill those filters, you'll be back in business.

Here's how those filters work in an L2550-GST Kubota

Oil flows from the hydraulic pump and is ONLY distributed to the GST system circuit when changing the speed of the tractor. Normally oil flows to the power steering.

Part of the power steering oil is used as the GST system oil. A relief valve is installed in the power steering circuit to set the oil pressure at approx 455psi so that the GST system pressure is maintained at 341 psi by a "reducing valve".

At the moment the GST system oil flows to the GST system circuit during SPEED CHANGE the pressure in the circuit before the releif valve drops to prevent the power steering oil pressure from changing.

This is exactly why you don't have P/Steering in the tractor until it moves, leading me to think your tactor is just fine, but the hydraulic circuit is air locked at the filters. Fill em up and report back. We'll get that thing goin' !!

Oh Ya! We've got that!
Old 03-05-2009   #8
NEIL G

Talking Re: Will not move upon initial start-up

:d:d:d:d
if you ever come to good ol ontario stop by for a cold one.you were right on the money.i had filled the filters before i spun them on but i had them reversed.changed them around and now you cant wipe the smile off my face.thanks for all the advice on a terrific site.i am now on to the next task --trying to find a loader for this model.----any help---which model fits??? Ive seen pictures with a la500.
Old 03-05-2009   #9
Service Dept Vic

I'll be taking you up on that deal! OK, now the loader! I recently sold my L2650DT but I had installed a Buhler Manufacturing, Allied#95 FEL on it.

It's Canadian made in Morden Manitoba, well built, over-engineered and available with a couple of great options:

1) 2" lift and dump cylinders nice upgrade from the 1 1/2" standard
ones, so more grunt for the buck
2) 5' Wide material bucket
3) Grille Guard-nice!

The factory Kubota loader for your tractor is the BF500 with a lift cap of 1100 lbs, the BF400G would fit your GST Kubota as well, lift cap is a little less at 880lbs.

It is impossible to find a used loader for a modern compact tractor!! Oh, you'll see them for a 1950 John Deere but who the hell wants them!
If you see an ad selling one of these Kubota loaders models, jump on it!

I've attached a pic or two of the loader on my L2650DT for reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3185.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	22 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3186.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	23 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3187.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	96.5 KB