The Eclipse

origami

Equipment
'12 BX25. Previous: '95 B1700
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
Thought I'd post a couple of pictures from our visit to Nashville.

This picture, taken by my sister-in-law, is of me and my daughter watching it all happen right before our eyes.

And, this next one is of the "diamond ring" effect. Note the solar flare at three o'clock.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Looks like Daren Todd will be right in line for the next one.

The news make it out to be a once in a lifetime event. Not true if you're willing to travel. One occurs somewhere every 18-24 months. You may need a boat though!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...rt-planning-for-the-next-one-in-2024/70002507
I saw that on the news last night. 7 years from now, April on a Monday. Did check it out yesterday with a welding mask :D went down to a small sliver. Didn't get dark though, just an orange tint To the light. :)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I saw that on the news last night. 7 years from now, April on a Monday. Did check it out yesterday with a welding mask :D went down to a small sliver. Didn't get dark though, just an orange tint To the light. :)
I ain't real far from ya, so I'm in that path too. But 7 years is enough time for them to change their mind. Also, it's supposed to be in April, and we all know that April is good for (1) cloudy weather, (2) rain and (3) tornadoes-at least in these parts.

I was on the lake for the eclipse. Watching the wildlife. Good experience. Within 30 min of either side of eclipse max, I racked up about 40 crappie. Outside of that window, not much else. Bats were flying, birds thought it was dusk, really a weird deal that I've never paid much attention to; and it did not get dark. Just dimmed, sort of like a flash light with a dead battery.

Good lord willing, I'll probably be on the lake again in April 2024; assuming the lake isn't 40 foot higher than normal. Even then, if I have to launch off the highway I will. But I won't fight a storm from a flat bottom.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Now that was awesome! Thanks for posting!

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
That was cool and I actually have been through Crowheart several times, middle of nowhere is an understatement. Impressed that these guys had such precise calculations and that it worked.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I hope the upcoming day for the total solar eclipse in April is cloudy or raining all over the U.S.

I'm tired of all this hype, one central Texas county declared an emergency, just ridiculous.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I hope the upcoming day for the total solar eclipse in April is cloudy or raining all over the U.S.

I'm tired of all this hype, one central Texas county declared an emergency, just ridiculous.
I really don't care about it....but my Daughter and some of her friends are flying in from Commiefornia just to view it. My Daughter is in Kali 'travel nursing' but is coming home just for this event.

My Brother lives on the lake (Travis) in Austin and apparently that is in the path of 'totality' so he is going to host us all. Good opportunity to go and visit family....but I don't really care about the eclipse that much.

I guess when you get to be my age....some things just aren't that unique any more.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Change of plans....we're not going to the lake. I have a place on the creek. My mom wants to see it (never seen eclipse before) and my girlfriend's dad wants to see it, so I'm loading up the truck and the SxS, took the day off, and headed to the sticks, down on the creek-which sits in a pretty significant valley. Beautiful place. We're planning on a lil picnic and such, if cloudy, we're just gonna go out there and watch it get dark and observe the critters acting stupid. Then head on over to the restaurant alongside the river for a good lunch. Make a day of it. Mom's never been out there. My brother might even go but I ain't got room for 5 in my truck, so he'll have to drive his own.

I was at the lake last week (plan A), and asking the attendant how many people are camping out for the event. She said it has been sold out for at least 2 years, and they're expecting a TON of boaters. Since I have little use for crowds on them parts, we resorted to "plan B" which "should" be a LOT less crowded. We just have to watch out for the bears, snakes, and mountain lions. No plan "C" as I'm about 99% certain we won't see a single other human out where we are going. Private land (GF owns it), hard to get to, need SxS or horse to get where we are going. SxS only gets us close, we have to walk the rest of it but it's absolutely STUNNING down there this time of year.

I know it's not a big deal really (the eclipse itself) BUT it's more than that. Watch the things that happen. Wildlife go kind of crazy, the little eclipses on the ground under the trees, etc. There is just some weird, unexplained things that happen. Wind blows too as the hills cool at different rates. It's just weird, but you have to pay attention to that stuff to notice it.

Reactions: 1 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Yea, I'm in the middle of the path and the nuttiness is in full force up in NNY. Zero rooms available, warning about driving and traffic jam's, schools closed or open (They don't know yet).
I'm betting on Lake Effect Snow that will teach them a lesson! :cool:

• Haha

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Good excuse for a road trip for the wife and I. On the bucket list for the experience. Really enjoying this retirement gig!

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have 4 acres of open field here. I'm willing to give OTT members a discount for $5. A head to stand in my yard and stare at the sun...Now this generous offer is not for just April 8th, but any particular day you stop by.
Rest rooms available.
($3. to stand in the woods)

• Haha

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

I just heard a pundit on the local news whining about a shortage of "solar eclipse viewing glasses" and saying people are going to have to stay indoors with the curtains closed for safety. WTF
1710069868620.jpeg

• Haha

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Personally, im looking forward to the next eclipse. We are in the path of totality again. My wife and I thought it was an amazing experience last time.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I’m in the direct path as well and people around here are amazed that I don’t want to make a quick buck allowing people to camp on my land. I don’t want the hassle or mess left over. I laugh at the weather predictions trying to guess if there will be cloud cover or not so far out.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I’ve had the same thing. Folks think I’m crazy for not setting up a camp ground on my property. I don’t want to deal with the mess and or liability either.

Reactions: 1 users

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Yea, I'm in the middle of the path and the nuttiness is in full force up in NNY. Zero rooms available, warning about driving and traffic jam's, schools closed or open (They don't know yet).
I'm betting on Lake Effect Snow that will teach them a lesson! :cool:
Wait a minute, my wife and I are heading up to Westfield, NY. I booked it last year with my planned retirement before the hype set in. We are hoping for sunny skies but it will still be an experience for the total eclipse even if there are some lake effect flurries. :ROFLMAO: