Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Implements & Attachments

Implements & Attachments Find everything related to operating, servicing and maintaining that loader, mower, blade, snow blower, tiller, hitch or scraper, right here.

Old 08-09-2017   #21
origami
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: '12 BX25. Previous: '95 B1700
Default Re: Sabre Samurai hydraulic hookup & options

Here's a relevant OTT post from 2011 where "Sqidget" weighed in with "Artisan" on a discussion that included estimating hydraulic availability at the FEL and the BH connections.

In it, Sqidget notes that the max output from the pump is 6 (it's 6.2) gpm and that there's a flow priority valve that sends some of it off to the HST+PS, leaving "likely 3-3.5 gpm" available at those points. So, it's in the range of demand for the Samurai. The impact of being low is, according to the Samurai rep, is a slightly reduced ability to cut through thicker (up to 1.5") branches.

So we're getting closer to an answer. Not exactly definitive, but an estimate from a purported authority.
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2017   #22
origami
1st Yr. Apprentice

Got it.

Digging into the BX25 WSM I found the following:
  • Page 5-M2 shows the main pump capacity at 6.2 gpm
  • 5-M6 states the following: "The flow priority valve is a flow divider that divides single hydraulic source (hydraulic pump) to actuates two circuits simultaneously. This valve feeds fixedly controlled flow (8.0 L/min., 2.1 U.S. gals./min., 1.8 Imp gals./min.) to the PF port with prioity and excessive flow to the EF port."
  • The PF Port is shown in the drawing on page 5-M6 as feeding the power steering, PTO clutch and HST circuit. The EF port is the 3PH circuit where the loader and BH tie into.

The bottom line seems to then be that 2.1 gpm is diverted, leaving 4.1 gpm available in the 3PH ckt where the Samurai would connect.

So there appears to be sufficient flow.

Is that a proper understanding?

Last edited by origami; 08-09-2017 at 01:12 PM.
origami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #23
Grouse Feathers

Journeyman

Equipment: BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
Got it.

Digging into the BX25 WSM I found the following:
  • Page 5-M2 shows the main pump capacity at 6.2 gpm
  • 5-M6 states the following: "The flow priority valve is a flow divider that divides single hydraulic source (hydraulic pump) to actuates two circuits simultaneously. This valve feeds fixedly controlled flow (8.0 L/min., 2.1 U.S. gals./min., 1.8 Imp gals./min.) to the PF port with prioity and excessive flow to the EF port."
  • The PF Port is shown in the drawing on page 5-M6 as feeding the power steering, PTO clutch and HST circuit. The EF port is the 3PH circuit where the loader and BH tie into.

The bottom line seems to then be that 2.1 gpm is diverted, leaving 4.1 gpm available in the 3PH ckt where the Samurai would connect.

So there appears to be sufficient flow.

Is that a proper understanding?
No way, this is a Sabre Samurai it needs to cleave the air in bold flashing strokes, well at least as bold and flashing as the fel can accommodate. Just sharpen the edges and depend on the bold flashing strokes of the fel for pruning, and Sabre Samurai won't need any hydraulic flow.

Sounds good, at worse the cutting speed might slow down a little when you adjust the fel position.

If you sit down too long, you won't be able to get up.
The best reason to get up is to learn something new.
Grouse Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #24
origami
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse Feathers View Post
No way, this is a Sabre Samurai it needs to cleave the air in bold flashing strokes, well at least as bold and flashing as the fel can accommodate. Just sharpen the edges and depend on the bold flashing strokes of the fel for pruning, and Sabre Samurai won't need any hydraulic flow.

Sounds good, at worse the cutting speed might slow down a little when you adjust the fel position.
Oh, the imagery....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSxOE-1P2y0
Old 08-09-2017   #25
Grouse Feathers

Journeyman

Equipment: BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
I want to see what you yard looks like after you drive you tractor blind folded waving your Sabre Samurai. Please post pictures I don't want to be there.

If you sit down too long, you won't be able to get up.
The best reason to get up is to learn something new.
Grouse Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #26
origami
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse Feathers View Post
I want to see what you yard looks like after you drive you tractor blind folded waving your Sabre Samurai. Please post pictures I don't want to be there.
But who will take the pictures?

Back to point, though... It looks like the little hydraulic pump on the BX25 can drive the Sabre Samurai; and that it can be driven by disconnecting and re-purposing the bucket pitch (dump) control lines, holding the pitch lever open to keep the Samurai motor moving. (One advantage of this, I guess, is the capability to reverse the motor in the event the teeth stall on a large, tough hardwood branch.) So the initial investment would be for just the tool and the hoses.

A sickle mower with an adjustable sickle is another option, but would probably be more expensive and entail installation of auxilliary rear hydraulics, but might have a larger cutting swath and would be useful if I ever got into cutting down overgrown fields (unlikely).

Other ideas are welcome.
Old 08-10-2017   #27
KennedyFarmer
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3901, with not enough attachments

Why not hire a proffessional to do the job?

If it was me I would want the setup on the tractor to be done right vs having it rigged in some fashion that is confusing, etc.
KennedyFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #28
origami
1st Yr. Apprentice

Duplicate content....

Last edited by origami; 08-10-2017 at 07:47 PM.
origami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #29
Creature Meadow

4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2012 L4600, 5' Disk, 4' Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper

My response is not to your questions but maybe a solution to your problem.

I do control burns on my 13 acres every 3 years I have 4 areas in the rotation.

Is it possible to burn the wood block?

Controlled fire is good, I am also a 30 year vet of the fire service and allowing our woods to burn is healthy when done properly.

If it is I will be glad to offer advice and contacting your local Forestry service they can assist if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.
Old 08-10-2017   #30
origami
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennedyFarmer View Post
Why not hire a proffessional to do the job?

If it was me I would want the setup on the tractor to be done right vs having it rigged in some fashion that is confusing, etc.
I guess that's an option.

However,

1) It's not a pretty hedge I'm talking about here. It's understory growth and wild shrubbery encroaching from wild, overgrown areas. It doesn't need to be pretty. Just controlled. (I live in a rural area and get occasional visits from my neighbors' livestock (cows) when we get a break in fencing.)

2) The solutions offered aren't confusing but are and have been about matching functionality to the job. Just looking at what expense can be justified to keep the growth at bay over many years.

3) Over multiple years, the professional option would likely get very expensive (in my area at least). A DIY option with the right tool would probably be cheaper and easier to justify.