Sabre Samurai hydraulic hookup & options

origami

Equipment
'12 BX25. Previous: '95 B1700
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
Here's a relevant OTT post from 2011 where "Sqidget" weighed in with "Artisan" on a discussion that included estimating hydraulic availability at the FEL and the BH connections.

In it, Sqidget notes that the max output from the pump is 6 (it's 6.2) gpm and that there's a flow priority valve that sends some of it off to the HST+PS, leaving "likely 3-3.5 gpm" available at those points. So, it's in the range of demand for the Samurai. The impact of being low is, according to the Samurai rep, is a slightly reduced ability to cut through thicker (up to 1.5") branches.

So we're getting closer to an answer. Not exactly definitive, but an estimate from a purported authority.

origami

Equipment
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
Got it.

Digging into the BX25 WSM I found the following:

• Page 5-M2 shows the main pump capacity at 6.2 gpm
  • 5-M6 states the following: "The flow priority valve is a flow divider that divides single hydraulic source (hydraulic pump) to actuates two circuits simultaneously. This valve feeds fixedly controlled flow (8.0 L/min., 2.1 U.S. gals./min., 1.8 Imp gals./min.) to the PF port with prioity and excessive flow to the EF port."
  • The PF Port is shown in the drawing on page 5-M6 as feeding the power steering, PTO clutch and HST circuit. The EF port is the 3PH circuit where the loader and BH tie into.

The bottom line seems to then be that 2.1 gpm is diverted, leaving 4.1 gpm available in the 3PH ckt where the Samurai would connect.

So there appears to be sufficient flow.

Is that a proper understanding?

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Got it.

Digging into the BX25 WSM I found the following:

• Page 5-M2 shows the main pump capacity at 6.2 gpm
  • 5-M6 states the following: "The flow priority valve is a flow divider that divides single hydraulic source (hydraulic pump) to actuates two circuits simultaneously. This valve feeds fixedly controlled flow (8.0 L/min., 2.1 U.S. gals./min., 1.8 Imp gals./min.) to the PF port with prioity and excessive flow to the EF port."
  • The PF Port is shown in the drawing on page 5-M6 as feeding the power steering, PTO clutch and HST circuit. The EF port is the 3PH circuit where the loader and BH tie into.

The bottom line seems to then be that 2.1 gpm is diverted, leaving 4.1 gpm available in the 3PH ckt where the Samurai would connect.

So there appears to be sufficient flow.

Is that a proper understanding?
No way, this is a Sabre Samurai it needs to cleave the air in bold flashing strokes:mad:, well at least as bold and flashing as the fel can accommodate. Just sharpen the edges and depend on the bold flashing strokes of the fel for pruning, and Sabre Samurai won't need any hydraulic flow.:D

Sounds good, at worse the cutting speed might slow down a little when you adjust the fel position.

origami

Equipment
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
No way, this is a Sabre Samurai it needs to cleave the air in bold flashing strokes:mad:, well at least as bold and flashing as the fel can accommodate. Just sharpen the edges and depend on the bold flashing strokes of the fel for pruning, and Sabre Samurai won't need any hydraulic flow.:D

Sounds good, at worse the cutting speed might slow down a little when you adjust the fel position.
Oh, the imagery....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSxOE-1P2y0

origami

Equipment
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
I want to see what you yard looks like after you drive you tractor blind folded waving your Sabre Samurai. Please post pictures I don't want to be there.:eek:
But who will take the pictures? :D

Back to point, though... It looks like the little hydraulic pump on the BX25 can drive the Sabre Samurai; and that it can be driven by disconnecting and re-purposing the bucket pitch (dump) control lines, holding the pitch lever open to keep the Samurai motor moving. (One advantage of this, I guess, is the capability to reverse the motor in the event the teeth stall on a large, tough hardwood branch.) So the initial investment would be for just the tool and the hoses.

A sickle mower with an adjustable sickle is another option, but would probably be more expensive and entail installation of auxilliary rear hydraulics, but might have a larger cutting swath and would be useful if I ever got into cutting down overgrown fields (unlikely).

Other ideas are welcome.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Why not hire a proffessional to do the job?

If it was me I would want the setup on the tractor to be done right vs having it rigged in some fashion that is confusing, etc.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My response is not to your questions but maybe a solution to your problem.

I do control burns on my 13 acres every 3 years I have 4 areas in the rotation.

Is it possible to burn the wood block?

Controlled fire is good, I am also a 30 year vet of the fire service and allowing our woods to burn is healthy when done properly.

If it is I will be glad to offer advice and contacting your local Forestry service they can assist if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

origami

Equipment
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
Why not hire a proffessional to do the job?

If it was me I would want the setup on the tractor to be done right vs having it rigged in some fashion that is confusing, etc.
I guess that's an option.

However,

1) It's not a pretty hedge I'm talking about here. It's understory growth and wild shrubbery encroaching from wild, overgrown areas. It doesn't need to be pretty. Just controlled. (I live in a rural area and get occasional visits from my neighbors' livestock (cows) when we get a break in fencing.)

2) The solutions offered aren't confusing but are and have been about matching functionality to the job. Just looking at what expense can be justified to keep the growth at bay over many years.

3) Over multiple years, the professional option would likely get very expensive (in my area at least). A DIY option with the right tool would probably be cheaper and easier to justify.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Kidding aside it seems to me the Sabre Samurai better fits the size of the BX tractors than other options. The flexibility of having it mounted on the fel would seem to work well for your application and you will probably be driving on relatively flat level surface, your lawn. I agree with using the bucket dump circuit, don't forget that is a special valve and you may find you have to move the lever all the way to the stop to operate the Sabre Samurai. Long term you may want to add the rear remotes so you can modify the rear remote control lever specifically for triming and have the bucket tilt available for greater flexibility when trimming.
If you do run into problems with the hydraulic capacity, Surplus Center has PTO driven hydraulic pumps for $280 - $500, they also have the fittings you may need to hookup a Sabre Samurai.
I would also be thinking up a good way to pick up all the brush you will be cutting down.;)

origami

Equipment
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
My response is not to your questions but maybe a solution to your problem.

I do control burns on my 13 acres every 3 years I have 4 areas in the rotation.

Is it possible to burn the wood block?

Controlled fire is good, I am also a 30 year vet of the fire service and allowing our woods to burn is healthy when done properly.

If it is I will be glad to offer advice and contacting your local Forestry service they can assist if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.
Thanks for the idea. I think that a controlled burn back into the woods on other parts of our property might be a great idea. Some of the area, though, has grown in over the last 15-20 years according to aerial photos of the lot. It was not wooded originally and has since been overgrown with both trees and large (almost tree-sized) bushes and shrubs. A controlled burn would likely be a clearing effort and, frankly, I think my wife likes the space being a wildlife refuge (we get deer, fox, and the occasional bear).

Kidding aside it seems to me the Sabre Samurai better fits the size of the BX tractors than other options. The flexibility of having it mounted on the fel would seem to work well for your application and you will probably be driving on relatively flat level surface, your lawn. I agree with using the bucket dump circuit, don't forget that is a special valve and you may find you have to move the lever all the way to the stop to operate the Sabre Samurai. Long term you may want to add the rear remotes so you can modify the rear remote control lever specifically for triming and have the bucket tilt available for greater flexibility when trimming.
If you do run into problems with the hydraulic capacity, Surplus Center has PTO driven hydraulic pumps for $280 - $500, they also have the fittings you may need to hookup a Sabre Samurai.
I would also be thinking up a good way to pick up all the brush you will be cutting down.;)
This is the way I'm leaning as well. My property actually is on the side of a mountain (Westerners would call it a hill) - the southernmost end of the Catoctin Ridge coming out of the Alleghenies - and drops 160' from end to end, but the drop is across three tiers for the most part with two tiers being relatively flat and the third being much smaller but at the end of a long gradual slope. Luckily, most of the slope is fore-aft with regard to the direction of the tractor so roll-over is not a big issue. Total weight and having the bucket too high on some slopes would be where I'd have my most concern. But, my tires are filled, the back tires have 3" extenders, and I could counterbalance with the BH if needed. I've already run the full tractor up and down the slopes in the past to excavate and bury a boulder that was pushing up out of hte ground.

As for picking up the brush, I was thinking that the bucket would catch some of it and whatever wasn't caught might be mulched by the mower deck and ejected under the remaining brush so long as it wasn't the really big stuff. That remains to be seen, though. My youngest daughter is 17 and headed to college next year, so I won't be able to put her to work anymore....

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Keep us informed of your solution and how it works. I have a similar problem with a 3/4 mile 2 track driveway. The trees keep wanting to crowd into the driveway and I need clearance for delivery, emergency vehicles, and snowblowing. My one advantage is the trees in Northern Michigan don't grow as fast as the trees and brush in Virginia. I have found that as I get older a tractor beats a wheelbarrow, shovel and rake. Maybe in 5 years I will find a Sabre Samurai beats pruners, and chainsaws.

sylwoody

Equipment
B26, L45
May 12, 2013
Talladega,Al USA
That's what I use on my B26, cut my driveway pruning from all day down to a couple of hours. at first I ran some long hoses from my hydraulic thumb hoses using quick connectors and put a piece of wood under the peddle with the samurai mounted on the FEL. Not liking how I did not have control of the hydraulic flow I invested in third function hydraulics on the front and used my RPM's to regulate the speed of the samurai.

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0404.jpg

origami

Equipment
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
That's what I use on my B26, cut my driveway pruning from all day down to a couple of hours. at first I ran some long hoses from my hydraulic thumb hoses using quick connectors and put a piece of wood under the peddle with the samurai mounted on the FEL. Not liking how I did not have control of the hydraulic flow I invested in third function hydraulics on the front and used my RPM's to regulate the speed of the samurai.
Gotta love it. I'll probably add either rear or third function hydraulics at some point but not right away. It sounds like you're still liking the Samurai, though. Can you comment on the build quality and durability? How long have you been using it now? Any issues or complications to speak of?

Out of curiosity, what third function kit did you get? Did you install it yourself?

Last edited:

sylwoody

Equipment
B26, L45
May 12, 2013
Talladega,Al USA
Gotta love it. I'll probably add either rear or third function hydraulics at some point but not right away. It sounds like you're still liking the Samurai, though. Can you comment on the build quality and durability? How long have you been using it now? Any issues or complications to speak of?

Out of curiosity, what third function kit did you get? Did you install it yourself?
I bought mine used in June of 2013 got it off of EBay, used it for about a year or more with the backhoe running the hydraulics and then I put a WL. Long third function on it myself, made the set up a lot better and I use it more because it is less trouble to hook up. I did get into some heavy branches and move my bucket before getting the cutter unstuck so I bent the bar some, had to take it apart and straighten the bar but the construction is so simple it was no problem. you can control the speed of the cutter with your throttle and you can ease up to a branch and just let it eat it's way through.