2 "new guy" questions

tcbro

Equipment
L185, Woods L59 mower, rear blade, L-225, Kubota FEL
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
Hi,
I have a new-to-me L185 with a Woods L59 belly mower. The mower is rigidly mounted under the tranmission at the front and hard mounted to a Woods bracket under the rear axle. It's useless like this because the blades are about 8" from the ground. I would like to get back to the proper mounting. I know it should ride on casters in the front. There must be some other mounting at the front to keep it under the tractor. Does anybody have a picture of how the front mounts? I notice a couple of chain "eyes" on the deck. Does it simply hang from the tractor on chains? Also, I would have thought that the arms that go towards the rear would have mounted to the 3 point so it could be lifted. Any help or pics of the proper mounting will be greatly appreciated.
Second question; does anybody know what the psi and gal/min flow rate of the hydraulic pump on this machine is? I'm looking at FELs and most spec a minimum output for the pump.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Tom

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
Welcome to OTT tcbro.

You're right about the rear of the mower being connected to the 3 Point Hitch, and the ones I've seen are usually on a pivot in the front that either allows it to swing down or tilt.

I suggest you get the owner's manual for more information about the flow rates, but you shouldn't have any problem just asking for a FEL to mount to your L185 that will fit all of the particular dimensions and specifications. Usually they are matched up according to pounds of lift as far as I know.

An owner's manual will tell you the secifications of all the implements you can use with your L185.

I'm sure someone else will come along with other suggestions as well, so hang in there.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Hi,
I have a new-to-me L185 with a Woods L59 belly mower. The mower is rigidly mounted under the tranmission at the front and hard mounted to a Woods bracket under the rear axle. It's useless like this because the blades are about 8" from the ground. I would like to get back to the proper mounting. I know it should ride on casters in the front. There must be some other mounting at the front to keep it under the tractor. Does anybody have a picture of how the front mounts? I notice a couple of chain "eyes" on the deck. Does it simply hang from the tractor on chains? Also, I would have thought that the arms that go towards the rear would have mounted to the 3 point so it could be lifted. Any help or pics of the proper mounting will be greatly appreciated.
Second question; does anybody know what the psi and gal/min flow rate of the hydraulic pump on this machine is? I'm looking at FELs and most spec a minimum output for the pump.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Tom
Tom,

I have an L175 with a Woods L59-K17 on it. You can go to the Woods website and download a manual in .pdf format. I think yours should be the L59-K18, but don't hold me to that.

My mower is hung at the front from chains, there is a bracket under the transmission, then the chains run back to the woods mounting bracket at the back of the tractor, where they turn up to the top of the three point arms. The rear is mounted to a wishbone shaped bracket that allows it to pivot a small amount.

Going by what Woods wants for the idler sheaves for the belt, the idlers for the chain lift will be expensive. Maybe you can engineer something yourself after downloading the manual.

I was actually looking for an Allis Chalmers B with a belly mower when I lucked into my L175. It makes a great lawn mower.

Hope this helps,

Robert

tcbro

Equipment
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
Thanks for the prompt replies. They are very helpful. I have a manual for this L185 but it is an aftermarket, Chilton's or someone like that. I can't remember. I've been through it a few weeks ago when I bought this tractor and I don't remember seeing anything about pump output. I'll check again when I get home. If it's not there, I'll look for a manual from Kubota.

I had visited the Woods website and downloaded a brochure earlier. I didn't realize that they also offered manual downloads. I checked it out and you were correct, Robert, mine is the 18 (18A, actually). It shows everything I need. I'll check to see if those sheaves are on my back bracket. If not I'm sure I can come up with something that works from W.W. Grainger. I may also go with steel cables instead of chains for smoother operation. I'll loose the ability to adjust instantly but hopefully, once it's dialed in I won't have to change that adjustment.

Again, thanks for the tips, they were very helpful.
Tom

tcbro

Equipment
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
Well, the manual I have is a Kubota manual, not aftermarket as I had thought. I looked through it last night and there is nothing about pump output so I would still like to hear from someone that knows the specs on this.

As for the mower deck mounting...I checked the rear bracket and it has 1 of the sheaves for the lift chain but not the other. Unfortunately, the one that's there is frozen solid and won't spin. I guess it's a trip to Graingers for some new sheaves. This will also probably mandate that I use cables instead of chains because I'll never find sheaves wide enough for a chain.

I haven't spent a weekend at home in over 2 months, volunteer maintenence on a tall ship over the winter and getting my own boat ready for launch these past few weekends. Boat gets wet next week and then I'll have every other weekend at home. I will be able to finally start working on this tractor.

Pump output specs?.....anybody?
Thanks,
Tom