Removing TG2746A snowblower impeller

orangekuby

Equipment
TG1860G, BX2200
Aug 9, 2019
United States
I'm trying to dismantle my snowblower to straighten some metal and take care of some rust, but having a bit of trouble removing the center drive shaft to the gearbox (the one the impeller/auger spins with). It looks like there are 2 set screws on the back of the housing holding the gear onto the shaft, and one more on the spacer behind the gear. Is there anything else holding it in place? I can't get anything to break free that would allow me to slide the whole thing out the front.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Looking at the parts illustration on Messicks, I believe the set screws on the gear are the only things holding the shaft from sliding thru the bearing. There may also be a set screw on the bearing collar.

If you live in an area where road salt is used, I suspect rust is holding the gear from moving.

A puller or oxy-acetylene heat will be necessary.

Alternatively, cut the gear with an angle grinder to get it off and then install a new gear.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you need a TG2746 snowblower, I have one that is like new. Also have the hardware to hook to a TG 1860 tractor.

orangekuby

Equipment
TG1860G, BX2200
Aug 9, 2019
United States
I was able to get it off with a BFH. The gear and collar had seized from rust, mainly on the key for the shaft/gear. The spacing collar behind the gear I was able to slide off with a bearing puller.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I was able to get it off with a BFH. The gear and collar had seized from rust, mainly on the key for the shaft/gear. The spacing collar behind the gear I was able to slide off with a bearing puller.
As you use your BFH, remember you are beating against the internals of the worrm gearbox with its brass gear.

Dave

orangekuby

Equipment
TG1860G, BX2200
Aug 9, 2019
United States
As you use your BFH, remember you are beating against the internals of the worrm gearbox with its brass gear.

Dave
That crossed my mind. The gearbox, horizontal shafts, shear pins, and impeller were all taken apart and loose so when I hit, everything was capable of giving and moving. The BFH wasn't really there for brute force, more for momentum.

Turned out, the spacer behind the gear was also solidly rusted in place, and bottomed out the shaft against the bearing between it and the impeller that mounts to the housing. The gear came off in a manner closer to hanging a handle on an axe or sledge, where the gear stayed put, but the shaft and entire blower housing moved slightly until the gear came off.