Kubota L245DT weak FEL

alanack6795

Equipment
L245
Sep 17, 2019
FOSTER RI
Ive owned this tractor for over 15 years. Its old, but operates decent except it likes to run away when its super cold out.

When i first got it i used to be able to lift the back of a pick up truck off the ground easy. The tractor would lift the back tires off the ground (no counter weight, dumb i know) before the tractor couldnt lift.

I bought a 3 pt backhoe for it, for small projects (i know to go easy on a frameless tractor). But before I could install it, the hydros got very slow and weak.

Clearly it wont be able to run a back hoe since its very weak now.

So i changed the fluid and suction a screen (everything was clean) with no change.
So what should i check next? The lack of blue paint on the hydraulic pump leads me to believe someone changed it before. Im not afraid to buy a pump, but i dont like blindly throughing parts at something.
No idea if the 3 point hitch is weak too because i never use it.
Tractor has about 2,000 easy hours on it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would start with some pressure tests.
Also how is the FEL connected to the system?

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I have a 3 pt BH for my L245 but the factory pump is limited so I got one with a pto pump. I think the factory pump is under 4 gpm new, so even a new one may not be enough to run your BH.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Easiest place to insert the gauge may be somewhere around the valve. Your local hydraulic show could probably help to make sure you get the right fittings for your setup. Do you know what loader you have?

alanack6795

Equipment
L245
Sep 17, 2019
FOSTER RI
So i did some more digging. Ita a 1977 kubota l245dt with a kubota l1200 loader, and a kubota l2075 valve. There is only one stick on the valve. Not 2 like many older tractors

Im thinking its the relief valve not the pump. I tried searching the internet for one but i cant find anything. Should i call the dealer? I have a feeling they are going to tell me to bring the tractor in.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So someones changed that FEL control valve, same answer as before, you need to get a Gauge on it and get some pressure readings to know what's going on.

FYI a dealer is going to charge you a pretty penny to fix it, where you can do it yourself for way less with our help.

If the loader cylinder lines coming out of the valve have quick disconnects that would be where you test it, if not you need to get a tell to temporally put into one of the cylinder lines to get a pressure reading.

alanack6795

Equipment
L245
Sep 17, 2019
FOSTER RI
So someones changed that FEL control valve, same answer as before, you need to get a Gauge on it and get some pressure readings to know what's going on.

FYI a dealer is going to charge you a pretty penny to fix it, where you can do it yourself for way less with our help.

If the loader cylinder lines coming out of the valve have quick disconnects that would be where you test it, if not you need to get a tell to temporally put into one of the cylinder lines to get a pressure reading.
There is no quick connect fittings. So im going to have to get a "t" fitting.

Im going to check it coming out of the pump and going to the fel. I need to see what is "power beyond" so i can tap into that for my back hoe attachment.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is no quick connect fittings. So im going to have to get a "t" fitting.

Im going to check it coming out of the pump and going to the fel. I need to see what is "power beyond" so i can tap into that for my back hoe attachment.
It will be the same measurement no matter where you take the measurement. ;)

But you'll have to make it work to the limit, that will require you to run one of the Loader controls to the ends of the cylinders to hit the relief valve setting, otherwise you're not going to see much pressure.

And if someone's put a newer valve on it with it's own relief valve built into the loader valve then you'll have to figure out which one of the relief valves is tripping first.

alanack6795

Equipment
L245
Sep 17, 2019
FOSTER RI
Ok. The lines feed a couple blocks on the tractor near the rear seat. One has a bolt on top with a little hex cap that looks like a relief valve, and id imagine the fel valve has a relief too.

So i need to try to lift something heavy to make sure its tripping at the spec. I think its 2000.

Im curious if its a sticking relief valve, or a bad pump. Pump doesnt look original so i think a relif valve is sticking or out of adjustment. Ill need the gauge for that.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So i need to try to lift something heavy to make sure its tripping at the spec. I think its 2000.
No, you need to bottom out the cylinder stroke to get a pressure reading.

Don't guess on the pressure readings needed, go to Kubotabooks.com and download the WSM and get the exact number of the hydraulic system, they are all different.

Last edited:

alanack6795

Equipment
L245
Sep 17, 2019
FOSTER RI
Update!!!! I cleaned all the pins and greases the machine, cycled it and greased it again.

The pins were clogged with hard old grease. There wasn't a hydraulic problem, the machine was binding.

Im not sure what the lift capacity is, but I highly doubt its more than 1,000lbs.

I was able to lift a 800lb snow plow no problemo. I need a counter weight though shes a little tippy.