New to tractors and need help deciding

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hello everyone, I need advice on whether to go with the BX2680 or the B2301. There both within my price point therefore the main reasons for looking at both of them. I have 4.6 acres on all flat land and about an acre is cleared for cutting. (I will not be using the tractor for mowing) as I already have a newer riding lawnmower that I’m going to keep for that. The 3.6 wooded acres is tall pines and cedar. There’s a lot of underbrush as well as many downed trees and leaners that need attended to. My goal is to eventually have all that cleared to where it’s “park like” and for the kids to be able to ride there ATV’s all throughout. Lastly I have a gravel driveway that I’m going to keep gravel and it needs work. I understand that will be recurring work and won’t to have the proper equipment to handle that as well. I was looking with the purchase of one of those two tractors to get the front loader/bucket, as well as the 3rd function and grapple. I assume I may need a box grader as well? I have done extensive research on both tractors however I’m going to be honest I just don’t know what is the right call. Your responses and guidance are greatly appreciated and I thank you all very much.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don - -

All I can say is I love my BX. Had it 6+ years with 350+ hours, and it's done a lot of great work.

But hindsight being 20/20, I often wish I had looked closer at the B's.

For non-mowing work like FEL, boxblade, snowblowing, etc. sometimes the BX just not quite able to do what I want.

The B has a little more weight, more lift capacity, and higher ground clearance.

For PTO work like snowblower, rotary cutter, finsh mower, etc., the BX2680 will have a small advantage over the B2301 due to the additional HP, but again, a small advantage.

I myself have shopped B's twice in the last couple years.

90% of the time the BX is great, but I also mow with mine. If I was looking for a non-mowing tractor, I'd probably would start with the B's, and maybe the BX as a second choice.

Good luck!

Last edited:

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I would go with the B in your case.

Sounds like you don't really need the smaller size & nimble maneuvering of the BX, which is really the only reason one would choose a smaller rig.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Thank you RCW for that quick response. Yeah I was sold on the BX2680 for what I needed then the 0% 84 months came up with the B2301 and it peaked my interest. Especially being it had a little more clearance since majority of my time will be in the woods as well as the majority of the work will be lifting logs etc. my only draw back was the fact of the less HP with the B2301 and this being my first time owning a tractor I just didn’t know if that was a major factor. I never knew how hard of a decision this would be, I will say I’m absolutely sold on the Kubota’s for sure though.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Thanks for your input Dalola. Yeah there’s a few tight areas but that’s mainly because of the undergrowth and once cleared out those pines and cedars will have enough clearance to maneuver through with no problem. Just curious with the BX series how well do they handle lifting with the grapple? I have read on this forum that you can’t underestimate the power of the BX and was just curious since that will be one of the main things I’m doing.

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
23 hp is plenty, get a properly sized grapple and go to town, only thing about the smaller tractors is time, my little BX2200 has been great unit, and I could not be w/o one, but there are times I wish it were a larger frame tractor, which is why I am in search of a larger B or a smaller 32-38 L, I use my 2200 to mow around the house and light landscaping work, beats having to move the other tractor from the farm,,,what I always tell people small tractor for small work, a big tractor in a tight area will wear you out, and while not completely true I always say you can do the same job with a small tractor just have to take smaller bites;)

the B in a 2301 or 2601 will probably suit you very well

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'd have to agree with the posts above. My suggestion would be to get the B'01 series.

The BX's are great little workhorses (I had one for a very long time), but they have some issues with ground clearance and their Achilles heel (the hst fan). Even with underbelly armor, I still had a stick come thru and take out the fan on mine.

The B'01 doesn't have that issue and will be more capable in ground engagement stuff (box blade and loader) than the BX you're considering despite showing less HP than the BX2680. The B'01 series will also have a 3 range trans and 3 point position control. The BX does not, and those two features make a significant difference.

Best of luck in your decision.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Thank you M.T.Hands and DirtyDeed. That information helps a lot and seems like the most logical for the property type that I have. Now dare I say should I be looking at the B2601 as well? I know it doesn’t have the same promotions as the B2301 but would I need that extra HP? If I keep upping the price the wife may tell me I can go stay with the tractor. I’m not sure of the differences between those two with the exception of the 3 extra HP and with that not sure if that’s a big deal with the small amount of land I have.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The tasks you have are limited by traction (gravel work) and hydraulic system (loader, grapple). The B has quite a bit more traction and hydraulic capability than the BX, and more HP doesn't change that.

The only time the BX2680 would do more is if you're running a PTO implement - a chipper, a snow blower, a rear tiller. Even then, the real world difference between 23 and 26HP isn't that much. I think the BX2680 and the B2301 have the same engine, the B2301 is just rated at lower RPM, so you're not really giving up much.

In terms of implements, a grapple definitely for woods, for gravel work look at a land plane as well as a box blade, a lot of people swear by them.

What will you be doing with the fallen trees? Firewood, piling them up to burn, or just pushing them out of the way and leaving to rot? What implements you want might be a big different depending on what you do - particularly if you want to chip the branches after taking the trunks for firewood. You may want pallet forks either on the 3ph or the FEL if you are planning on carrying the firewood out, alternatively you can use a trailer if you can get it through the woods.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Thanks PaulL. I will look into those implements, as far as the trees I was planning on cutting them into 6-8 ft sections and bringing them out to the fire pit and stacking. Then from there slowly chop them up for the fire pit outside. So I was thinking the grapple would handle those 6-8 ft sections in moving them out. Majority of the pines are the tall whipping pines and not that large In diameter. Only a few may be a decent size that are down. The cedars are all very small. So nothing too crazy out there.

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Thanks for your input Dalola. Yeah there’s a few tight areas but that’s mainly because of the undergrowth and once cleared out those pines and cedars will have enough clearance to maneuver through with no problem. Just curious with the BX series how well do they handle lifting with the grapple? I have read on this forum that you can’t underestimate the power of the BX and was just curious since that will be one of the main things I’m doing.
A BX will handle a small grapple just fine. But a B would handle the same grapple, or a bigger one, even better. As others have pointed out, tractor weight & hydro capacity will be a bigger friend to you than HP, based on your list of tasks.

Very simply, get the biggest B you can afford. :)

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Thanks dalola, this has been very helpful and definitely see the benefits of going to the B series. As far as grapples I just started reading threads on those. I was just going to add the land pride one to my entire purchase but it seems like a lot of people say the best out there is an EA grapple? Is that just personal preference or is there truth behind going to the EA instead of the land pride? Sorry for all the questions. There’s so much stuff to think about my heads spinning.

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Thanks dalola, this has been very helpful and definitely see the benefits of going to the B series. As far as grapples I just started reading threads on those. I was just going to add the land pride one to my entire purchase but it seems like a lot of people say the best out there is an EA grapple? Is that just personal preference or is there truth behind going to the EA instead of the land pride? Sorry for all the questions. There’s so much stuff to think about my heads spinning.
I have no experience with either grapple, but if I were buying one, I'd go with the EA. Looks to be a better grapple, IMO.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Well, the finance committee (wife) stopped by work and approved the purchase of the EA 55" Wicked Grapple. So, mine was just ordered today and that is after watching lots of videos and reading various post and talking with them at EA.

It appears the EA is one of the best out there and I was very pleased by the helpfulness of the person I spoke with at EA.

So, my vote is buy the EA.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm sure grapples are the bees knees....however, you can save yourself some significant coin and simply get the "poor man's grapple"...

That would be a set of pallet forks. They work great for hauling logs (and MANY other things). They are typically a bit lighter in weight as compared to a grapple, so you can lift more.

oh B2301 vs B2601- I believe the B2601 has larger tires. I would think that everything else is the same other than wheels/engine.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Yes B2301 has a bit smaller tyres, I had forgotten that. It also means a bit less clearance than the B2601, but it still has a lot more than the BX.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37655

Of course, once you get to the point where you're locked in on a B, I'll ask whether you really need that ride on mower any more. If it's near new it'd get you quite a bit of money back if sold (enough to get a MMM for the B), and the B would probably mow better.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
"Buy your 5th tractor first".
chim got it.

Only thing I would say is I should have bought my 2nd tractor first...would have got the B I sometimes wish I had.

I found after a couple years and getting to know the tractor, I wanted more. Again, I mow with mine, so even a B2560 is too big...But a B2x01 not so much.

Keep chim's recommendation in mind.

Maybe you shouldn't leave a L2501 out of the equation?!?!?:)