L3650 clutch won’t disengage

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
So we have a L3650 with the dual stage dry clutch. I was going down hill had the clutch in and using the brakes to slow down. I felt something like a pop. The clutch engaged and wouldn’t disengage. I pulled it into our shop and parked it. You could feel in the clutch pedal that something was wrong. We split the tractor and pulled the dual clutch assembly and found that the clutch disc was shot. Ordered a new throw out bearing and clutch plate. Just got everything reassembled this weekend and the clutch will still not disengage. I am having to replace the clutch rod as part of it is froze up and won’t allow for adjustment. Other than the clutch rod not being adjusted properly I am trying to figure out what other issues I may be looking at. I understand that with the dual stage clutch when you apply the pedal the first half of pedal travel is to disengage the clutch for the trans and fully depressed it disengages the pto but we had the pedal fully depressed and it did not disengage the engine. Looking for some guidance. All the book says is adjust the pedal free play and adjust the bolts on the fork fingers of the clutch. As of yet we haven’t found the so called access cover on the right side of the bell housing that lets us look inside and make this adjustment.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So we have a L3650 with the dual stage dry clutch. I was going down hill had the clutch in and using the brakes to slow down. I felt something like a pop. The clutch engaged and wouldn’t disengage. I pulled it into our shop and parked it. You could feel in the clutch pedal that something was wrong. We split the tractor and pulled the dual clutch assembly and found that the clutch disc was shot. Ordered a new throw out bearing and clutch plate. Just got everything reassembled this weekend and the clutch will still not disengage. I am having to replace the clutch rod as part of it is froze up and won’t allow for adjustment. Other than the clutch rod not being adjusted properly I am trying to figure out what other issues I may be looking at. I understand that with the dual stage clutch when you apply the pedal the first half of pedal travel is to disengage the clutch for the trans and fully depressed it disengages the pto but we had the pedal fully depressed and it did not disengage the engine. Looking for some guidance. All the book says is adjust the pedal free play and adjust the bolts on the fork fingers of the clutch. As of yet we haven’t found the so called access cover on the right side of the bell housing that lets us look inside and make this adjustment.

You replaced the clutch plate or the pressure plate? Or both?
If you didn't replace the pressure plate there is probably where your issue really lies.

Did you set up the pressure plate before you assembled it?

Does it have FEL on it?
There is a plate with a vent hose on it on the right side, you remove that to see the clutch plate.

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
So all we did was take out the clutch assembly and replace the clutch disc. I am not sure what you ar asking about the FEL. What do you have to do to set the pressure plate? What I could find before we started was to not dissemble the whole clutch assembly as there would be no way for me to set it back up without special tools. I see the tube you are talking about. But the book mentions an access plate that allows you to measure the clearance between the throw out bearing and the nuts that can be adjusted. Oh and when e originally removed the clutch assembly there was almost no friction material left on the clutch but the flywheel and pressure plate looked clean and smooth no gouges or anything.

Last edited:

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
And if I need to check the pressure plate I’m guessing the only way is to split the tractor again and pull the clutch assembly. If so what am I looking for when I inspect the pressure plate?

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
One further idea, since this all started when the clutch was disengaged and I felt something and the clutch engaged on its own is there a strong possibility that whatever holds the forks for the throw out bearing in place sheared off and that I wasn’t able to tell while replacing the throw out bearing as it the forks might still be partially held in place and not engage the throw out bearing under pressure? If the is is the case the only way I can inspect for this is to split the tractor again correct?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
You might not need to split it again.....

If the original travel disk's facing material had mostly worn away, clutch adjustments may have been done in the past to compensate as it got thinner. The throw out bearing may be adjusted so far back there isn't travel enough to disengage a new full-thickness disk.

There is an access hole in the right side of the clutch housing which allows adjustment of three screws in the dual clutch. See L3450 owners manual para 12.1 attached - same setup.

A loader's lower bracket covers the hole so it has to move - see marked-up pic. It's possible to leave the rest of the loader in place. Take out the wedge on that side, and at the rear axle leave one bolt in but loose so the bracket 70 can swing down - and go back up in the right place later.

Hope this is useful - Good luck, Dick B.

Attachments

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Another tip is an easy way to bring each bolt into the window. Jack up the rear tire and put the trans in 2wd highest gear (4th hi range). Turning the rear tire by hand turns the engine.

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
ok so we got the replacement parts for the clutch rod so it can be adjusted properly. Tried the clutch and the clutch for the transmission will not disengage but the clutch from the PTO will. So based on the attached picture the screw that i circled we took the nuts off before we understood what they did. Put them back as close as we could to where the came off. Is it possible if these are adjusted wrong it would stop the pressure plate from releasing the clutch. Or is it more likely that there is a problem with the pressure plate itself. If it is the screws I have read what the book says about adjusting. I am just trying to narrow it down as much as possible before determining that the only option at this point is to split the tractor again. Thanks for any help

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
ok so we got the replacement parts for the clutch rod so it can be adjusted properly. Tried the clutch and the clutch for the transmission will not disengage but the clutch from the PTO will. So based on the attached picture the screw that i circled we took the nuts off before we understood what they did. Put them back as close as we could to where the came off. Is it possible if these are adjusted wrong it would stop the pressure plate from releasing the clutch. Or is it more likely that there is a problem with the pressure plate itself. If it is the screws I have read what the book says about adjusting. I am just trying to narrow it down as much as possible before determining that the only option at this point is to split the tractor again. Thanks for any help
Yes it is very possible, and likely,that you go the adjustment for the first stage wrong when you reassembled it.

The only fix would be to disassemble it and bench set the pressure plate right, or even better get a new/ rebuilt so you eliminate that as an issue!

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
Splitting it apart tomorrow. Would love to just buy the whole assembly but it is out of our price range so just going to have to try and set it up on the bench. We don’t have a dealer within an hour of us to see if they have the tool to set the gap on the outer bolts for the release bearing, but we never touched those. May try and get the specs and fab one if we have to.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get it apart and take some pics, several on here can help get it set right. ;)

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
Well feel like a total idiot. I took the owner of the tractor at their word. It has been in the family for over 20 years and thought they knew what they had. Turns out it doesn't have a 9" clutch like they thought and I didn't double check the size before ordering a new one. Got it apart today and as soon as i looked at the clutch i knew something wasn't right. Went over and measured the old clutch and it is only 8.5" in diameter so we installed the wrong clutch plate. So expensive lesson learned, now to order the right size.

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
Well i dont feel like such an idiot because everything I find even talking to kubota the 8.5" clutch wasnt an option on the L3650. So maybe someone changed something years ago. Every measurement I take shows 8.5" clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel etc...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
Appreciate the suggestion but not an option financially, also would have to change the flywheel as it is a flywheel for an 8.5 “ clutch