Tire upgrade

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Last week I got a sidewall cut on one of my BX1860 front tires. I had been reading how some people have upgraded their BX18xx series tractor tires from the stock tire size to the size for the BX 23xx series tire sizes (Front 18x8.5-10 and Rear 26x12-12). Well, I decided to do just that. I ordered the new tires and wheels from my Kubota Sales dealer (through whole goods). The total cost for all 4 tires and rims was $490.00 after tax.

Although the stock rear rims are the same size as the ones for the BX23xx series (12x10.5) it was cheaper to just buy all the tires and rims through whole goods rather than just buying new rear tires.

The only thing that I can see that is a little bit of a down side is that the front tires rub on my RCK54P mower attachment unless I adjusted the wheel stop bolt, which I did. Now I do not have as tight a turning radius as I did with stock tires but I already knew that before buying these new tires. I would not have had to adjust the wheel stop if I did not have the mower attachment.

A great upside for me is that now the lawn mower sits higher up than before because of the increased tire height. Now I don't hit any of those pesky rocks in my field.

Since I was changing to a new wheel and tire anyway I did a couple more things today. I already had 1.5" wheel spacers on the back wheel but I added the same size wheel spacers to the front today. That brought the front wheels out a little and helped with the tire rub on the lawn mower. The other thing that I did was fill the tires with windshield washer fluid. The -25 degree stuff. The front tires took 3 gallons each and the rear tires took 10 gallons each.

All in all so far, I love this tire on my tractor. I am glad that I changed them out and I wish I had done it sooner. In case of interest, I attached a picture of the front and rear tires and one picture of the wheel stop adjustment bolt. You can also see that the wheel stop bolt adjustment is absolutely necessary if you have the 54" lawn mower attachment. I don't know if adjustment is necessary if you have the 48" mower. I suspect not because the 48" mower attachment sits farther away from the tires than the 54" one.

Attachments

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Oh, that thing on the steering linkage is a bicycle inner tube. The dust boots broke apart about 5 years ago and I put an inner tube packed with grease on both sides. That was just about the time that someone started selling the boots on this website. If I had not already done them with the inner tube I probably would have bought the boots from that guy. Anyway, those are going to need replacement later this year when the mowing season is over. Since they lasted 5 years I may do the inner tube thing again. I really haven't thought about it all that much right now.