Wood splitter connections

korydz

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 17, 2009
Canada
I am looking at a Powerhorse 1159 wood splitter for use with my BX2660. I understand the limited volume of my tractor results in relatively slow performace with most splitters, but I've read that many owners of similar tractors are able to use this one with more than acceptable performance.

My question is what is the best way to connect this splitter to my tractor? I don't have rear remotes; just the an FEL and its controls. I've read about connecting to the dump/curl circuit and then using a bungee cord to hold the joystick. This seems hokey. I've also read that damage to the splitter's controls could result by using the 3ph while the joystick was engaged like this.

Would it work to connect to the FEL lift/lower circuit, and then put the control in the float postion? I could get rear remotes installed (at some cost), but I suspect that they are 1/4" lines rather than the 3/8" lines that are at the FEL, which would result in less flow. I want the highest flow, best performing way of doing this.

It is probably clear by now that I am a little confused on this. I've come to you for an expert opinion. Thank you in advance.

korydz

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 17, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the explanation. I"ve pretty much decided to go with a Split-fire due to its better build and Canadian origin. I've had a better look at the BX and I'm still a little unclear what to connect to what.

I see on the block there are several lines, some that are not even used. How would I get a diagram/schematic of this layout? I'm very new to hydraulics, but I generally am more comfortable when I understand what the whole system is doing rather than just "hook it up and see if it works".

Also, I'd like to make sure that I don't do anything that will interfere with the future addition of rear remotes.

korydz

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 17, 2009
Canada
That makes sense Vic, but I don't understand why I'd be messing with the FEL control at all. The block at the back is right around where I'd want to connect the splitter. Can't I just work from that point backwards?

korydz

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 17, 2009
Canada
Vic, here's a picture from the rear and from the right side. I assume this is the right area since this is where the lines for the FEL originate.

Attachments