Udt vs super udt

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Is there an easy way to determine the current fluid in the tractor?
Color? Viscosity? Etc?
I bought my 1996 M4700DT Kubota used with only around 400 hours.

I've confirmed it has its 50hr service, but wonder what fluid was used, so I can use the same.(IE, UDT, SUPER UDT)
Thx

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
No way that I know of to discover what fluid is in there. Go back with super UDT2 and you can't go wrong.
Yep, what 'Cat said. SUDT2 is the only way to go IMO.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes, I understand...except that when I bought my tractor one of the FIRST things I did was plan for the next service-interval and my local dealer (Ewald Kubota in Marble Falls, TX) only sold UDT and recommended that as suitable for the Texas climate.... continuing to state that the Super UDT was for colder climates.
So I paid $70 each for three 5-gallon pails which sit here in my shop ready to use.
Last visit to that same dealer...their showroom only displays Super UDT. :rolleyes:

I’d be happy to install UDT if that’s what’s in there...but would want to return the UDT to them if Super is in it. (Getting the feeling they were dumping their last stocks of UDT on me.)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
George... I've looked at both close up and personal and I cannot see any physical difference. I'd use the UDT you have (which at 70 per is a really good price) and next time, use the SUDT. I'm sure it's quite a bit more per pail.

I quit using it (UDT) years ago in my M9 because it's clear and it's hard to tell how much is in the gearcase on the dipstick. I've used (after the initial change, way back when), Chevron All Weather THC Synthetic with zero issues and it's dyed orange (of all colors) so it's easy for me to see the fluid level.

It's substantially more costly than your 70 buck a pail fluid. I paid last spring when I changed everything on the open station I bought used, $105 bucks a pail from my jobber.

I believe that they were indeed closing out their supply of UDT and you walked in.....:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Super UDT2 is $103 for 5 gallons. I just changed fluid in my L4240. At that price i bought new seals for all the plugs! I drained it all for a couple of days because I didn't need the tractor, but the Super UDT2 is backward compatible with the other Kubota fluids.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I agree I think you got what they wanted to clean

out their old inventory take it back and get super UDT.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Is there an easy way to determine the current fluid in the tractor?
Color? Viscosity? Etc?
I bought my 1996 M4700DT Kubota used with only around 400 hours.

I've confirmed it has its 50hr service, but wonder what fluid was used, so I can use the same.(IE, UDT, SUPER UDT)
Thx
Super UDT has a distinct odor. Smells like spray cleaner to me (409 - Fantastik)

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
5gal Standard UDT
Part #70000-20005
$84.22

5GAL SUPER UDT2
Part #70000-40205
$103.12

Looks like a approximately $20 difference when buying 5 gallon pails between UDT and Super UDT2. I haven't seen a container of Super UDT at the local dealer in the last couple of years.

Being that Super UDT is likely old stock, I'd scratch that off the list and don't understand why a few recommend using it. The likely choices today are either UDT or Super UDT2 if sticking with Kubota branded fluid.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Super UDT2 is $103 for 5 gallons. I just changed fluid in my L4240. At that price i bought new seals for all the plugs! I drained it all for a couple of days because I didn't need the tractor, but the Super UDT2 is backward compatible with the other Kubota fluids.

The copper seals are cheaper at O'Really auto parts....lol

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Cornfusing as all heck... Think I'll just stick with my Chevron.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Cornfusing as all heck... Think I'll just stick with my Chevron.
I tried buying this fluid about 2-3 years ago and had a very difficult time finding a place that carried it in my area. Yes, I used their website to look for local suppliers and contacted a few distributors.

Interesting fluid and like the idea pigment is added, but just very difficult to find for the average homeowner or noncommercial user given its limited availability and it is more expensive in 5 gallon pails than Super UDT2.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The copper seals are cheaper at O'Really auto parts....lol
I wanted to be sure I had a good seal on the plugs so as to not waste the hyd oil if the old ones leaked. I was already at the dealer getting another pail of oil.
The seals Kubota uses are not copper seals. They have a product like some kind of rubber molded to the flat washer that is the correct diameter for the application.

Going to "Oh Really" is pretty much a last resort for me. Often times their quality is not much better then their service, they're just handy and can get most things quickly. You can get a product with a life time warranty, but you can wear your self out replacing that part!!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Good chance your 96 had SUDT fluid in it instead of UDT. My 00 had this in it from the factory. Don't even think it's around any more and has been long since been replaced by the more advanced SUDT2.

Your dealer is right in the fact that UDT will work in your climate and SUDT2 in better suited for cold weather. But they failed to mention that SUDT2 is also better for hotter climate conditions because it will keep things cooler in the summer heat which is probably a bigger concern for you.

All around you'll get better performance and protection summer and/or winter by using SUDT2. Even on older equipment it has a advantage.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Good chance your 96 had SUDT fluid in it instead of UDT. My 00 had this in it from the factory. Don't even think it's around any more and has been long since been replaced by the more advanced SUDT2.

Your dealer is right in the fact that UDT will work in your climate and SUDT2 in better suited for cold weather. But they failed to mention that SUDT2 is also better for hotter climate conditions because it will keep things cooler in the summer heat which is probably a bigger concern for you.

All around you'll get better performance and protection summer and/or winter by using SUDT2. Even on older equipment it has a advantage.
Are you an Amsoil dealer? Just noticed your signature. I've been maintaining a dealership for some years now. Not really doing anything other than supporting my own needs. I noticed that Amsoil's Tractor Hydraulic / Transmission 5W30 only mentions Kubota UDT compatibility. Have you heard anything about them complying with SUDT2? Just curious.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Are you an Amsoil dealer? Just noticed your signature. I've been maintaining a dealership for some years now. Not really doing anything other than supporting my own needs. I noticed that Amsoil's Tractor Hydraulic / Transmission 5W30 only mentions Kubota UDT compatibility. Have you heard anything about them complying with SUDT2? Just curious.
Yes, been a dealer for 25+ years and like you really got started just for my own needs. I tried to sell some when I first started but most people are so close minded about synthetics it's all but pointless to try and sell to them. Funny how things have changed in recent years. Seems like since Mobil came out with a 15k annual oil some are looking at synthetics in a different light. Same people always have a dumb look on their face when they're told Amsoil had a 25k oil in 1974.

The Amsoil hyd/trans officially doesn't comply with SUDT2 specs. I have talked with Amsoil techs and they don't have any plans of changing their specs from what they are now. That said, current specs where in place before SUDT2 was even thought of. Amsoil had this fluid on the market before any other synthetic hy-tran that I know of.

I personally have been using it since 2000. All 3 of my tractors were changed to Amsoil @50 (actually before) when a full service was done. All mine came with SUDT fluid and I could tell a big difference after it was changed. Do you use it in yours?

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Yes, been a dealer for 25+ years and like you really got started just for my own needs. I tried to sell some when I first started but most people are so close minded about synthetics it's all but pointless to try and sell to them. Funny how things have changed in recent years. Seems like since Mobil came out with a 15k annual oil some are looking at synthetics in a different light. Same people always have a dumb look on their face when they're told Amsoil had a 25k oil in 1974.

The Amsoil hyd/trans officially doesn't comply with SUDT2 specs. I have talked with Amsoil techs and they don't have any plans of changing their specs from what they are now. That said, current specs where in place before SUDT2 was even thought of. Amsoil had this fluid on the market before any other synthetic hy-tran that I know of.

I personally have been using it since 2000. All 3 of my tractors were changed to Amsoil @50 (actually before) when a full service was done. All mine came with SUDT fluid and I could tell a big difference after it was changed. Do you use it in yours?
I haven't had mine long enough to need to change it. I literally just got my first orange tractor a few months ago (20 hours on it). I was planning to, but then saw that it was only UDT compliant. Kind of figured they just didn't update or bother testing to SUDT2 standards (whatever they are). Amsoil seems to be very conservative in what they promise and then over deliver. I was hoping to run into someone on here that had some experience using it. What kind of difference did you notice? Also, what are you putting in the crankcase?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I wanted to be sure I had a good seal on the plugs so as to not waste the hyd oil if the old ones leaked. I was already at the dealer getting another pail of oil.
The seals Kubota uses are not copper seals. They have a product like some kind of rubber molded to the flat washer that is the correct diameter for the application.

Going to "Oh Really" is pretty much a last resort for me. Often times their quality is not much better then their service, they're just handy and can get most things quickly. You can get a product with a life time warranty, but you can wear your self out replacing that part!!
Copper sealing washers are pretty generic and quite reuseable as well. Just heat them to dull red and allow them to cool. Good as new. Think I've reused the drain plug washers on my Kubota's without replacing them ever. No leaks.

Have good luck with O'Really but I don't purchase the store brand in parts. Always a recognized vendor like Moog or Super U for instance. Interstate batteries for me as well.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I tried buying this fluid about 2-3 years ago and had a very difficult time finding a place that carried it in my area. Yes, I used their website to look for local suppliers and contacted a few distributors.

Interesting fluid and like the idea pigment is added, but just very difficult to find for the average homeowner or noncommercial user given its limited availability and it is more expensive in 5 gallon pails than Super UDT2.
Yes, it is more expensive and yes, it is hard to find as well. My commercial distributor is a Chevron / Shell distributor so they have it in stock and deliver to the farm too.

I've found, in the winter that the 'flowability' is very good when it's below zero, something I need for cold weather operation, especially with my hydraulically actuated shuttle transmissions.

I get it from Schrader Oil in Toledo, Ohio. Get my LE grease there and my Shell T6 as well.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
As an FYI, Shell also markets a SUDT compatible hydraulic oil under the Rotella brand but I've never tried it. Cost per 5 gallon pail is a bit less than the Chevron.

If it's as good as T6 is, it's probably a winner too.