M8950DT Hydraulic Issues

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
On my 8950dt as I was using it the other day clearing some land all of a sudden my 3pt stopped working and along with that it began to get hard to turn. So I checked the fluid and it was a quart or so low so I topped it off but that didn't solve my problem. Also I checked to see if my pto would spun and unsurprisingly it didn't. Anyone have any ideas of things to check that may could have gotten bumped or unplugged or just went out?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'd look close at the suction line on the right side under the floor. Could have been mashed or cracked the rubber part which would let it suck air.

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
I'd look close at the suction line on the right side under the floor. Could have been mashed or cracked the rubber part which would let it suck air.
I will look close at it. Is that line you are referring to the one that goes from the rear of the tractor down under the right side of the floor to the pump and filter. I also noticed my hydraulic filter has a nice sized dent in it possibly from a limb hitting it whenever i was clearing brush.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That's the line. The ones I've worked on will have a rubber section where the 2 steel lines join. Most of the time it's right under your right foot. Check that close. I've seen them have a crack and not leak.

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
That's the line. The ones I've worked on will have a rubber section where the 2 steel lines join. Most of the time it's right under your right foot. Check that close. I've seen them have a crack and not leak.
I will look into that tomorrow. Is there a way to actually test the pump itself. I've got my doubts on it being the pump since it just quit all of a sudden but I haven't had this tractor long enough to fully understand the hydrostatic system.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Other thing to look for is a smashed up hydraulic filter if you were clearing land. I have seen sticks pop up and crush the filters before.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Other thing to look for is a smashed up hydraulic filter if you were clearing land. I have seen sticks pop up and crush the filters before.
+1
+1
+1

YES! And the filter can admit air when it becomes dislodged from the gasket seal, and the internal By-pass valve can be damaged and by-pass dirt back into the hydraulics!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On my 8950dt as I was using it the other day clearing some land all of a sudden my 3pt stopped working and along with that it began to get hard to turn. So I checked the fluid and it was a quart or so low so I topped it off but that didn't solve my problem. Also I checked to see if my pto would spun and unsurprisingly it didn't. Anyone have any ideas of things to check that may could have gotten bumped or unplugged or just went out?
I think either your not giving us the right model number or your issues are not as simple as you think.

Everyone's advice is spot on for a newer tractor that the hydraulics run the entire tractor, but yours is not such a monster.

The three point runs off of the main hydraulic pump.

The PTO is purely mechanical, does not rely on any hydraulics to operate

The steering is is an independent hydraulic system that does not share anything from the main system, it has its own pump its own reservoir and piping.

So you have three different issues that are not actually connected.

Three point:
First check for wet spots in the suction line and filter.
Check the drop speed lever as a closed drop speed will make it not operate up or down.
Check the feedback linkage on the left side top three point lift arm, do not randomly adjust it.
Check all other auxiliary hydraulic levers to insure that the valves are in the neutral position.

PTO:
Check that you are getting full movement of the lever to engage the PTO.
Other than that your looking at an internal issue.

Steering:
Check the reservoir under the hood for level and check for leaks at tank, piping, controller and cylinders.

One thing that I can think of is that the floor pan has come loose and shifted and caused the three point and PTO levers to bind or go out of alinement, that still won't help you with the steering issue.

Last edited:

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Did you check the power shift? Does it work? - The PTO ist engaded by hydraulik pressure,right?

If yes, there might be a Problem with the gears that drive the pumps. Its the same for both pumps, I guess.
Or both pumps suck the oil from the same line and that line is probably blocked.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you check the power shift? Does it work? - The PTO ist engaded by hydraulik pressure,right?

If yes, there might be a Problem with the gears that drive the pumps. Its the same for both pumps, I guess.
Or both pumps suck the oil from the same line and that line is probably blocked.
There is no power shift on that model.
The PTO is manually engaged, not hydraulically.
The two pumps are run off of different locations.
The two pump do not share any fluid as they are completely separate systems.

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
Well I took a look at the filter and on the side facing away from you there was a huge dent in the filter. I'm gonna replace that tomorrow and see if that fixes my problem.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It may but probably won't. I agree with Wolfman, you have other issues.

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
I fixed both the pto issue and the steering. I knew the steering had it's own separate system because a hose busted a few years back. I just had forgot about it. The pto had a small stick stuck on the floor between the linkage and the floor plate preventing it from engaging and the steering issue was just a little low on fluid. Can anyone point me in the direction of where the drain plug is for the hydraulic fluid? Somewhere it's sucking air and moisture in my line and that little rubber peice on the suction side of the pump looks a little dry rotted. I appreciate the help.

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
I think either your not giving us the right model number or your issues are not as simple as you think.

Everyone's advice is spot on for a newer tractor that the hydraulics run the entire tractor, but yours is not such a monster.

The three point runs off of the main hydraulic pump.

The PTO is purely mechanical, does not rely on any hydraulics to operate

The steering is is an independent hydraulic system that does not share anything from the main system, it has its own pump its own reservoir and piping.

So you have three different issues that are not actually connected.

Three point:
First check for wet spots in the suction line and filter.
Check the drop speed lever as a closed drop speed will make it not operate up or down.
Check the feedback linkage on the left side top three point lift arm, do not randomly adjust it.
Check all other auxiliary hydraulic levers to insure that the valves are in the neutral position.

PTO:
Check that you are getting full movement of the lever to engage the PTO.
Other than that your looking at an internal issue.

Steering:
Check the reservoir under the hood for level and check for leaks at tank, piping, controller and cylinders.

One thing that I can think of is that the floor pan has come loose and shifted and caused the three point and PTO levers to bind or go out of alinement, that still won't help you with the steering issue.
On the drop speed lever there are 2 black knobs under the seat, I'm assuming one is for drop speed and the other is for front and back for a front bucket attachment. Do you know exactly what these knobs are for?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I fixed both the pto issue and the steering. I knew the steering had it's own separate system because a hose busted a few years back. I just had forgot about it. The pto had a small stick stuck on the floor between the linkage and the floor plate preventing it from engaging and the steering issue was just a little low on fluid. Can anyone point me in the direction of where the drain plug is for the hydraulic fluid? Somewhere it's sucking air and moisture in my line and that little rubber peice on the suction side of the pump looks a little dry rotted. I appreciate the help.
The second knob should be to adjust the remote valve.

There should be several drain plugs, most commonly there are 4 on these era of tractors, one on the front case or mid case, and one on the rear case, and one on each axle housing.

You really should get both the operators manual and the WSM (aka service manual) for it, that would help with all the finer details. ;)

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
The second knob should be to adjust the remote valve.

There should be several drain plugs, most commonly there are 4 on these era of tractors, one on the front case or mid case, and one on the rear case, and one on each axle housing.

You really should get both the operators manual and the WSM (aka service manual) for it, that would help with all the finer details. ;)
Could you tell me where to buy the wsm and operators manual or send a link because when I type in my model number all the manuals look different