LB400 bucket cylinder(s) rebuild

Shopmaster

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT
Feb 5, 2020
Midwest, USA
Has anyone done this before that could tell me what you used for a wrench? I can build one easy enough, but if there's one available for purchase I'd do that first. Pin type spanner wrench.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Some parts stores will lend tools. I use O'Rielleys and Advance. If they don't have a spanner, I use a pipe wrench. It mars the cylinder some but not to where you can't clean it up with a file if you choose.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Workman, tell us about that box bracket on the end of your bucket, and how you use it?
That box on the side of the bucket is used for the supports to remove and store the loader.

The spanner wrench you pointed out is a lug spanner wrench, won't work on a pin hole design.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've broken many pin spanner wrenches on those things. I use either a pipe wrench, a hammer, or a pair of channel locks. Or usually a combination of more than one of those.

Shopmaster

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT
Feb 5, 2020
Midwest, USA
I've broken many pin spanner wrenches on those things. I use either a pipe wrench, a hammer, or a pair of channel locks. Or usually a combination of more than one of those.
Well that’s not the word of encouragement I was looking for. :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Often times it's easier to remove that cap by leaving the opposite end still attached to the piece of equipment.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That box on the side of the bucket is used for the supports to remove and store the loader.

The spanner wrench you pointed out is a lug spanner wrench, won't work on a pin hole design.
Thanks and Yes, Wolf, ... but my post was to suggest to “Explore” the page for one that might work. Pin wrenches are sold by that vendor and displayed on that site.
Thx again. For ALL you do here in the Forums.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There is some "trickery" to get the gland to bust loose. It don't always work but I always try. Before trying to turn the gland or anything, grab your hammer and tap around the outisde of the cylinder near the gland. Don't hit the gland itself, just the barrel of the cylinder about 1-3" back from the gland. Once you whack it a few times, then try to unscrew it with your favorite tool. Sometimes the beating is enough to get the barrel to let loose of the gland.

The gland is made out of aluminum and the barrel steel. What do we know about ferrous fasteners that are screwed into non-ferrous materials? They tend to seize themselves together right? Whacking it a few times with a hammer or whatever your favorite tool is helps to shock the two dissimilar metals enough that they'll loosen their bonds to one another.

Shopmaster

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT
Feb 5, 2020
Midwest, USA
I received the Gearwrench 81862 with the 3/16” pin. It’s a perfect fit on the boom cylinder nuts. For the bucket cylinder nuts (that I’m working on), the pin is about .005” too big, but it worked. About 3 love taps with my dead blow hammer and they spun free. And yes, I did leave them on the tractor to bust them loose. I haven’t started the resealing yet. Need another weekend or two for the stars to align so I have time.

Shopmaster

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT
Feb 5, 2020
Midwest, USA
I ordered another smaller size pin spanner wrench that actually fits the bucket cylinders. It is a Vmotor Chrome Vanadium Adjustable C Spanner Hook Wrench Tool - 3/4-2"(19-51mm) from Amazon for $11.00

The pin size 4mm and is stamped 3/4-2 for OD of nut. It is a perfect fit. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Reactions: 1 user

willyC93

Equipment
L2500DT,LB400fel,7.5'snowplow,6' landscape rake,backblade,homemade pine needle r
Oct 25, 2010
Post Falls, Idaho
Shopmaster This is a year old but I was wondering if you had an easy way to install the hard seal on the pistons. I rebuilt one on my L2500DT seven years ago and installed the hard seal by lubing the piston and heating the seal in boiling water. It was a difficult task and I must now rebuild both bucket cylinders. I cleaned the holes in the head with a drill bit so that I could use a larger pin spanner. Bill