L45 Pre-Purchase Inspection

PsRumors

Feb 21, 2016
Cartersville, Georgia
If all goes well I will be picking up a new to me L45 in the AM. It is one owner, 850 hours and has the hydraulic thumb.

Other than the obvious (operation, fluids, leaks, play in the pins) is there anything in particular that needs to be checked, anything specific to the L45?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Just look for the usual suspects, test out the machine. Look for gotchas.
Generally speaking these are durable well built machines. 850 hrs is nothing in terms of overall hours. They either run forever when cared for or are abused and fail prematurely.

In no particular order:

Look for obvious signs of neglect and abuse. I.e. does the owner store the machine outside under an old pine tree or is it garage kept. Broken/missing bolts. Cracked wheels. Do you see date/hour stickers/labels on all filters?

Can the owner show records of all maintenance as per the schedule?

If the machine is idling/running when you arrive turn around and go home.

Drive it in all gears in forward and reverse, engage/disengage 4wd, drive in 4wd, turns. Bring a buddy knowledgeable in mechanics to help listen for odd sounds. Everything should run smoothly.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I agree with Mikester on starting an unknown engine cold. Even if it's not running, I'd put my hand on the valve cover to see if it's warm. Someone who warmed up the engine before you got there is telling you something!

Kind of like going to buy a horse and he's already saddled when you get there! I want to see how he accepts the blanket and the saddle first hand.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
BUT.... run it long enough to see if the temp gauge works. Shut it down and turn the key back on to see if the warning lights work. Bring along a volt-meter to see if the battery is 12.7 before start and 13.5+ while running.

Make certain the FEL and brakes and 3-point and PTO all work.
Check all the lights.

See if the “kill” switches (seat, PTO, shift-levers) all work or not (your choices).
Find out if the tires are loaded and WITH WHAT?

Ask... don’t assume.... ASK the question, “What, if anything, is wrong with it?”

You can’t tell if he’s lying perhaps, but later on you’ll at least be able to tell if he was a liar!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I agree with Mikester on starting an unknown engine cold. Even if it's not running, I'd put my hand on the valve cover to see if it's warm. Someone who warmed up the engine before you got there is telling you something!

Kind of like going to buy a horse and he's already saddled when you get there! I want to see how he accepts the blanket and the saddle first hand.
No tractor analogy, but it is always good to see if you can walk out in the pasture and put a halter and lead rope on the horse first!

PsRumors

Feb 21, 2016
Cartersville, Georgia
Well, I bought the tractor. Cosmetically it has seen better days but mechanically it is strong, dry and serviced at proper intervals. The owner bent both fenders backing up, dropped something out of the bucket and got the hood and grill. His '17 Ford F350 Platinum was in the same condition as was his wife's Lexus.....these people cant drive.

The tractor was cold when I got there, it fired right up. All functions work as expected and everything seems to check out. The outer air filter was dirtier than I would like to see but the inner was clean. Other than the cosmetics that's the only ding I could really give the tractor.

For the price I see L45s listed, I can replace the fenders and hood and still be well ahead....