L175 jerky 3 point

Txfire468

Equipment
Kubota L175 with a 4ft bushhog, boxblade, and tiller.
Jul 26, 2013
Marshall,Texas,USA
I had a hydro/trans fluid leak so I went to tractor supply, got a 5 gal bucket of fluid, and it started becoming jerky. has the filter disentegraded or what? I need help and quick!:confused

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I would drain the generic fluid and put Kubota UDT in it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Kubota UDT is not really required on that old of a tractor. First question is did you stop the leak and second question is if you fixed the leak did you drain the current fluids and added fresh? Sounds like the filter screen is clogged with gunk or air in the system which may work itself out.

Txfire468

Equipment
Jul 26, 2013
Marshall,Texas,USA
I agree. It could be either or. It leaked all of the old out so i didnt have to deain it. I noticed that because the 3point shut down completely. It would whine but not move, so i took the fill cap off on the tranny and it was empty. Oh and i WILL NOT pay $85 for UDT. This works judt as well

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I agree. It could be either or. It leaked all of the old out so i didnt have to deain it. I noticed that because the 3point shut down completely. It would whine but not move, so i took the fill cap off on the tranny and it was empty. Oh and i WILL NOT pay $85 for UDT. This works judt as well
Maybe it doesn't work as well...;)

My old L245 ran 80W gear oil in the trans, not hydro/trans oil.

Maybe runnin it dry killed the pump?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why did it lose all the original fluid? fast or slow leak?

Clean the pick-up screen (It will be on the end of the big pipe on the bottom of the tank reservoir.)

Putting in hydraulic oil in place of the 80/90W oil, if the pump is worn and tired it might not work at all (won't be able to build pressure).

If there was no obvious leak check the motor oil! It is common for them to blow the seal out the back of the pump and dump the fluid into the motor.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I've run generic in my B7100, and it didn't perform as well as UDT. Your results can be different.

Txfire468

Equipment
Jul 26, 2013
Marshall,Texas,USA
Ok i was busy yesterday an i couldnt respond. It has a tear in the shifter plate gasket and it was slinging it out. Whe i get the bucket to empty it, ill check the filter. The pump has a leak on the outlet line where it connects to the pump. Im sure that aided in draining it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you need to start at the beginning of the hydraulic system and seal it up all the way threw.
Leaks in the input anywhere to the pump can cause air to be induced into the lines and cylinders and that will cause it to be "jerky".
Leaks on output lines from the pump can dump a lot of fluid very quickly.