L48 TLB stabilizers / outriggers help

Teabor

Equipment
Kubota L39
Jul 30, 2014
Napa, Ca, USA
Hello everyone.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced weak stabilizers on their backhoe? I have a L48 with the BT1100 backhoe and the stabilizers seem to pick up the back end of the tractor only a tiny bit. I would say about 4 inches. They do not fully extend as I thought they should when under load. I can pick up the back end completely with the boom and test the travel of the stabilizers, and the do travel the entire amount. They do not leak down when extended and the rest of the backhoe functions work great. System pressure is spot on and engine rpm is about 2000. I will post a video in the next couple of days and test if I am leaking by the piston. I do not suspect this because I am getting about 2750 PSI for the hydraulic lines to the stabilizer cylinder.

Backhoe has about 200 hrs on it.

On a side note, I owned and L39 TLB and the stabilizers were able to pick up the tractor with now issues.

Thanks

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Yep, mine works the same way.

If you want the rear higher just do what you mentioned. Lift the rear with the boom and lower the stabilizers more.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
2750psi should be enough to pick up about any tractor you want. You might be fighting a mechanical leverage limitation though, but I can't say for certain without seeing the rig.

Most stabilizers are built to lift to a point where the arm is at maximum distance from the frame of the tractor. Once they start to 'pull back' in toward the tractor, they are actually acting as digging implements against the dirt/surface with the weight of the tractor driving them into the dirt. At this point the pressures may exceed what the hydraulics can deliver, stopping the further downward movement of the stabilizer.

Remember the job of the stabilizer, it is not to 'lift' the tractor but to keep it stable while the boom and wrist do massive work force. When you pick your rear tires up, you've just cut your stability as the tires also help stabilize the tractor and give it more ground engagement traction to stay put.

If you see a professional operator with the tractor totally up in the air, they are either showing off, have some ground or level condition they are countering, or aren't properly trained in how to use stabilizers. It is rare when fully lifting the unit is the best solution.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Are you planting the front bucket down first?

My BH would only level my tractor before the front bucket was down. If I put the front down first the stabilizers would just barely lift. Unless the ground was almost completely flat it wouldn't even level it. Front up and they would do anything I needed to do.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Depending on the pads, if they dig in well, and both are trying to move inwards towards each other, if hydraulics had infinite power, something has to give. Like tearing up ground or tearing stabilizers off machine. There are limits.