Conversations about the C... word

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I want to upgrade the headlight bulbs in both my M9's. The OEM incandescent bulbs are about as bright as a flashlight with weak batteries. Not sure what bulb is in them, looks odd to me but I'd sure like to upgrade both to LED bulbs if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Re: Ill ask because I don't know...

I want to upgrade the headlight bulbs in both my M9's. The OEM incandescent bulbs are about as bright as a flashlight with weak batteries. Not sure what bulb is in them, looks odd to me but I'd sure like to upgrade both to LED bulbs if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you pull one of the existing bulbs out and snap a pic, some of us can tell you what bulb replaces it, if any. ;)

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky

Using your model number I come up with bulb 38450-33870 for the head light which is in the hood. Since you have a cab model have you thought about after market LED's?

They make smaller and larger LED light bars which could be mounted on the cab

Attachments

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota

I've been researching this same thing for about a week, and not getting very far. Admittedly I don't have my tractor as a point of reference, it arrives next week. After reading posts both here and other tractor sites, I'm going to go with LED light bars. I think this is the closest to what I'm going to do. I'm not going to do the side lights out of the gate, however.

https://youtu.be/lXfj3ZLKpkU

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

If you pull one of the existing bulbs out and snap a pic, some of us can tell you what bulb replaces it, if any. ;)
I'll d just that tomorrow, Both tractors are the same (bulb) and if I remember correctly, they look like the one 'All Dodge' has pictured.

Every light on both units I've changed to LED including the upper cab lights on the cab tractor but the headlights are no go so far.

Do like the LED's as they pull much less amperage than the filament or halogen lights they came with (and no melted bulb sockets either).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

If the bulb has one contact on the back it's a S.C. Prefocus

I can't find one in LED

If the bulb has two contacts on the back it's a D.C. Prefocus

There is possibly a hiccup if you only have one brightness of the original headlamp bulbs, but a little rewire will fix that. ;)

Only one I could find in an LED:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-P30D-40...am-Light-Bulb-6V-24V-Motorcycle-/223128660105

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Flip I found them here for you! Your local Kubota dealer can get them!

https://kubota.ca/en/m8#features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please tell me your joking right...

Sidecarflip in an M8... that aint going to happen any time soon!

Way to new to compare to his M9000

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Please tell me your joking right...

Sidecarflip in an M8... that aint going to happen any time soon!

Way to new to compare to his M9000
Its a simple plug and play lighting upgrade (or sign and play);)

I don't believe I'll ever buy a new Kubota. As 70 years old with 2 paid for units in excellent condition and pre tier 4, I don't believe I'd buy a new one, besides my wife would kill me. I've looked at them at my dealer, smell nice inside and have lots of do-dads but that payment book I don't want nor do I want the headaches of an emissions compliant engine. Wife already has a payment on her new RTV that I get to hear about as it is.

The open station is headed to my dealer for a valve adjustment and a front gear case seal and a rebush on the left outboard planetary spindle, the upper bushing is getting sloppy and I don't want to develop a seal leak. At 3600 hours things do wear out.

Have to go gift shopping today but when I get back, I'll pull a bulb and snap a picture of it. If I cannot do a retrofit, so be it. If I cannot, I think I'll add a pair of LED lights to the brush guard on the front and go with that.

The OEM headlights are terrible.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Same here, Flip! My M4700 is pre-Tier-Anything, paid-for, and is low-time (only 500 hrs) and it’s LA1002 FEL does everything I need since I’m not a real farmer.

BTW, the only reason I read this thread was to see what it was all about “because I don’t know” from the subject title you chose. I hate it when people create discussion topics like “Hey, what is this?” Or “Can someone answer this question” or some other lousy, non-informative subject-title that gives no clue. ;)

Speaking of things we “don’t know”, —- How is your health doing these days? Good, I hope?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Almost back to where I was pre cancer. Having a bit of trouble with my left eye in as I cannot see out of it but will be fixed in January. Seems as though I got a cataract in it. Eye doctor told me that as an offshoot of the chemo, strange things happen and it happened.

Didn't deter me from going to Nebraska 3 weeks ago for a Mule Deer hunt. Shot an 8 point 3 year old buck at about 150 yards 2 hours before end of Nebraska rifle season. He's in Springville, Nebraska being mounted (cape) right now, another wall hanger, Gutted, hanging weight was 180.

I only need my right to shoot anyway, I'm right handed, Had my guide calling out the range for me and she was spot on. Never had a female guide before, let alone a 21 year old very pretty gal but after I took him, she had no issue taking him apart (gutting him) in the field. I was impressed.

Not taking anything at all except my flo-max and artificial testosterone. Nothing cancer related and just had blood work done Tuesday and all is as it should be.

Modern medicine is amazing and so is good health insurance.

The 'parts' they removed, 14" of my ascending colon, 35% of my liver, my appendicts and my gall bladder have had no ill effects on me other than I too resemble a field dressed deer....:eek:

Every morning, when I open my eyes, I thank the Lord for another day. He shined on me and with modern medicine and the Lord's help, I'm still here.

Was touch and go for a while. I had days when I wasn't sure if I'd see another sunrise but I did and have, every morning.

Attachments

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Re: Ill ask because I don't know... BULBS

Got the pictures of the bulbs. Both the same in both tractors. Double contact, double filament. Seems to be plenty of room between the socket base and the lens.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Re: Ill ask because I don't know... BULBS

Got the pictures of the bulbs. Both the same in both tractors. Double contact, double filament. Seems to be plenty of room between the socket base and the lens.
Flip -

Just a suggestion even though you say there's plenty of room to the lens. A ruler might be handy next to the bulb.

I just know some LED bulbs are much longer than incandescents or halogens. Guessing it might be more so with a bigger/hi-lo beam bulb....

Again, just a thought....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

The bulbs I posted should work, like I said before you might have to rewire on either the tractor or the bulbs themselves, as these are dual filament bulbs (high, low) the difference would be that if yours are single filament.

I can and would be more than happy to do it for you on the bulb side of things, on the tractor side I can tell you what wire needs to be swapped to where.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-P30D-40...am-Light-Bulb-6V-24V-Motorcycle-/223128660105

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

The bulbs I posted should work, like I said before you might have to rewire on either the tractor or the bulbs themselves, as these are dual filament bulbs (high, low) the difference would be that if yours are single filament.

I can and would be more than happy to do it for you on the bulb side of things, on the tractor side I can tell you what wire needs to be swapped to where.

Just ordered a set. Looks like by January 8th, coming from China direct. Let you know when they arrive. No dimensions (OAL) on the blurb, but comparing them to the incandescent bulb, looks like they will fit. If they do, I'll order an additional set. I see they are CREE SMD's. Good deal. Thanks and will keep you apprised via PM or here.

I have 2 wires going to each socket (I think), I'll have to look tomorrow to be sure. Wondering how they ground. Mine are double filament (incandescent bulbs), looks like (far as I can tell), same size filaments on both. Only have one eye right now. Cannot see squat out of the other...lol

Left is like looking through waxed paper.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Great News on your health, Flip! (And you’re certainly in a lot better shape than that mulie! HA!)
Just don’t let that testosterone-treatment cause you to grow antlers! (That stuff can be hazardous. Really. From the pic, you don’t have a hair problem. YOu don’t have a muscle problem. Why the hell does the doc think you need T?)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Great News on your health, Flip! (And you’re certainly in a lot better shape than that mulie! HA!)
Just don’t let that testosterone-treatment cause you to grow antlers! (That stuff can be hazardous. Really. From the pic, you don’t have a hair problem. YOu don’t have a muscle problem. Why the hell does the doc think you need T?)
Old age and pizzer issues I guess. Do have a hair problem... I'm basically bald.:D

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN

Old age and pizzer issues I guess. Do have a hair problem... I'm basically bald.:D
How can you have a hair problem without any hair? No hair no problem. I'm a glass half full guy.