Drilling holes in ROPS a bad idea - safety / warranty

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Hi all,

I'm considering ways to attach LED lights to my ROPS. I was watching a youtube video on mounting them via threading holes on the underside. The poster said he received a bunch of angry posts regarding drilling into the ROPS. Are two holes really going to impact the safety of the ROPS? Void the warranty?

Thanks!

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I'm sure if you were to re-sell it, possibly personally but definitely back to a dealer, expect to lose the price of a new ROPS in the deal. I'm sure by law they'd be prohibited from selling one that was damaged or altered in any way. But it's not going to total the machine. As far as it's affect on the structural integrity of the contraption... Debatable. Depends on where and how many holes you put in it. The general consensus is "don't do it"...

But I did anyway. I used rivet nuts.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
While they may not impact the safety of the ROPS, it IS a GREAT excuse for insurance company to not pay out !!
Holes drilled along the center line of the beam don't affect the strength of the truss, think of house trusses, or steel web trusses, or bridges, etc.
One great benefit of 'clamp-on' mounts is you can easily, quickly remove and reinstall to a better location without ugly 'spare holes showing...,cause they're never in the 'best' spot, first time :)

Jay

techcrewkevin

Equipment
Kubota - my fathers, not mine. Always looking for ways to help improve it.
Feb 16, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Realistically you shouldn't make holes of any kind into the ROPS.

That being said, can you? Yes.

The right way would involve an engineer...

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Thanks all. I hadn't really put much thought into resale or insurance issues. I generally like to have things look neat, but it sounds like u bolts are in order.

And great point GreensvilleJay about being able to adjust them.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Ubolts or even good magnets do the trick for the safety conscious folks. I think there are kits out there on them interwebz...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm. never thought of magnets ! wonder if you could 'upgrade' those magnetic trailer set with White LED bulbs ? Might be a cheap, easy, temporary setup.
I have to lower ROPS to get into garage.PITB to say the least !!:(

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Precisely why we developed these:

http://www.boltonhooks.com/ROPS.html

Neil Messick had a video talking about how they will subtract a new ROPS price on a trade but I couldn't find it.
my dealer in Canada told me the same thing.

Liability / insurance / lawsuit issues around selling something with modified safety equipment is real up here. Was also their reason why a pre-delivery service to ensure safety switches also were in working order is made. Protects them against lawsuits. I think people make a living out of suing others for just about anything they can to make a buck.

I asked about people who drill or weld on loader support for boxes or hooks, etc... and he said that's OK not regulated saftey equipment but will still decrease trade in and sales value.

Last edited:

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
There was another thread somewhere where a seemingly very knowledgeable engineer made a very strong argument that safety concerns of drilling/welding the ROPS was all baloney. Dealers will still tell you it has to be replaced, but if you want to do it for your own purposes, I am of the opinion that drilling a few holes will not weaken the structure. There are lots of holes in auto and aero frames, tabs welded onto roll cages on Baja vehicles, slide cuts on competition firearm frames (shooting incredibly high pressure 9MMSuper), and holes in 2x4s for electrical that support your entire roof. The concern that a couple holes in a ROPS will weaken the structure seems to be a thing made up by lawyers rather than engineers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
There was another thread somewhere where a seemingly very knowledgeable engineer made a very strong argument that safety concerns of drilling/welding the ROPS was all baloney. Dealers will still tell you it has to be replaced, but if you want to do it for your own purposes, I am of the opinion that drilling a few holes will not weaken the structure. There are lots of holes in auto and aero frames, tabs welded onto roll cages on Baja vehicles, slide cuts on competition firearm frames (shooting incredibly high pressure 9MMSuper), and holes in 2x4s for electrical that support your entire roof. The concern that a couple holes in a ROPS will weaken the structure seems to be a thing made up by lawyers rather than engineers.

I think it also has a little to do with the whole "you can't fix stupid" argument. A couple small round holes in the ROPs tubing won't hurt anything but it is more for your neighbor Billy who decided to put in 3 sets of lights, a chainsaw mount, a couple cup holders and a gun rack all attached with self tappers to their ROPs that ruins the integrity of the thing and gets him killed.

So if you then go an devalue the tractor by a whole ROPs assembly because of 2 1/4-20 holes Billy will go back to using duct tape and reduce the number of lawyers getting paid off stupidity.

Side note for the car and aero frames: Those are put through a lot of testing both real and simulated for the location of those holes to make sure that the Factor of Safety is still sufficient without the material there. While modifications made to after the fact are (for the most part) more slapped together. In summary I wouldn't go putting holes in or burning wire on anything certified for safety purposes.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I think it also has a little to do with the whole "you can't fix stupid" argument. A couple small round holes in the ROPs tubing won't hurt anything but it is more for your neighbor Billy who decided to put in 3 sets of lights, a chainsaw mount, a couple cup holders and a gun rack all attached with self tappers to their ROPs that ruins the integrity of the thing and gets him killed.

Yes. Good point. That***8217;s why we have warnings on everything. Which brings up an interesting question... I don***8217;t remember seeing a sticker on the ROPS that says drilling or welding may result in death. If this had EVER been the cause of an injury lawsuit, I can assure you there would a sticker.

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes. Good point. That***8217;s why we have warnings on everything. Which brings up an interesting question... I don***8217;t remember seeing a sticker on the ROPS that says drilling or welding may result in death. If this had EVER been the cause of an injury lawsuit, I can assure you there would a sticker.
TADA!!!! Your sticker sir!

And from the manual what that warning means!

Attachments

B3350orbust

Equipment
B3350, 72” Bush Hog, 72” box blade, 72” grader blade, 48” King Kutter tiller,
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
I would go to tractor supply or rural king and pick up a couple u-bolts that are square rather than rounded. The square ones are sold in the axel/trailer parts area. That***8217;s what Kubota used to attach the sunshade to my ROPS. The lights/bar light can be attached to the flange that comes with the u-bolts.

Last edited: