What fuel to use

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm lucky to be in an area where off road diesel is always used, so it's fresh.

One other trick...yes it's sort of like cheating, I have a tank that has a 4" opening and when the lank is low and it's freezing outside and water that is in the tank can be fished out, yum diesel infused popsicle...

The tank has barometric pressure regulation and I get good fuel, so the most water I've ever gotten out, I would guess,was less than a tablespoon per 200 some gallons.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
Am I correct in assuming that #1D is kerosene? I had an issue last season plowing and want to avoid a gel up when temps are below 20f. I was using treatment when it happened at -2, fortunately I was able to limp it back to the shop. I was thinking of mixing 30% kero with the #2.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Kerosene has no lubrication purposes but I've heard of people using it but it was on older engines.

I use Amsoil all in one conditioner and have (knock one wood) never had any issue with fuel gelling. I use my L every day during the winter.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a friend who's delivering fuel daily with a tanker truck within a 200 mile radius. He said when the diesel is treated it's 1/3rd #1, 2/3rd #2. That's how they cut it for delivery to service stations around here.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Buy a Mr. Funnel. I***8217;m careful where I get my fuel from, but after having a water logged filter freeze while moving snow I decided I needed some extra insurance. I haven***8217;t had to replace a fuel filter unexpectedly since I bought this;

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF...0606&keywords=mr+filter&qid=1575950446&sr=8-7

Cheap insurance.

Jerry
Thanks for that! Im gonna buy two of these. One for diesel and one for gas.

I always worry about the funnels actually getting dirty themselves though. I always take time to wipe them down with a rag, and always get a little layer of dust/dirt that collects from residue. If you forget to do this, you could be putting this little bit of dirt right into the oil or gas, whatever youre using it for.

Last edited:

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I try to keep tank full and at least another 5 gallons on hand, sometimes 10. This year I had tank full and 2 - 5 gallon jugs of #2 on hand and did not use the tractor very much, little snow and no projects. Weather turned cold so right away I added some Power Service White, summer time I use Gray, after October the Co-op switches to #1 but I still add a bit of White. Now tractor is full of #2 with White and have a couple of jugs of #1 ready for the real cold weather. My main thing is to try and keep tractor tank near full to minimize condensation, so far so good, knock on wood.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Kerosene has no lubrication purposes but I've heard of people using it but it was on older engines.

I use Amsoil all in one conditioner and have (knock one wood) never had any issue with fuel gelling. I use my L every day during the winter.

Does really get cold in your neighborhood? I was thinking that it was a more moderate climate there.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

I always worry about the funnels actually getting dirty themselves though. I always take time to wipe them down with a rag, and always get a little layer of dust/dirt that collects from residue. If you forget to do this, you could be putting this little bit of dirt right into the oil or gas, whatever youre using it for.
I purchased a new unused paint can from Ace and store a funnel and a measuring cup, to measure out the Lucas, in it . Easy open and closed with no chance of getting the funnel dirty and a paper towel in the bottom soaks up the leftovers.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Am I correct in assuming that #1D is kerosene? I had an issue last season plowing and want to avoid a gel up when temps are below 20f. I was using treatment when it happened at -2, fortunately I was able to limp it back to the shop. I was thinking of mixing 30% kero with the #2.
No #1 Diesel is not the same as Kerosene.
Kerosene as Bulldog pointed out has no lubrication properties, not a safe bet to just cut Diesel with Kerosene.

Your way better off treating with Stanadyne or any other fuel treatment to drop the gel point.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Look inside your 5 gallon can and watch the stuff in the can besides the diesel. I went to using one of those funnels with the filter built in to it. If nothing else it makes me feel better.

I have a 2004 Duramax with 425,000 miles and it was eating injectors for lunch. I started to change the filters on every other oil change and the injector problems went away. I now use an 2007 Duramax with 260,000 miles and change the fuel filter on every other oil change. I have not had an injector problem on the truck. Knock on wood. But that $45 per filter does hurt.

I put a NICKTANE adapter on my 2006 LBZ. It allowed for a Caterpillar 1R-750 spin on filter ($12) - That made it where I could afford to change filters every other oil change. Got 300K miles and traded that truck in on my 2017 Dmax. Got a similar adapter already.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

I say save your money, and only purchase one for both fuels. If you are wiping it out, I doubt that there would be enough residue of fuel to effect anything in either your gasoline or diesel engine. If you care about keeping your filters clean between usages, then put them into a plastic bag and seal the bag. I keep all my filters in plastic bags, and they are always ready for use when I take them out.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
What is the shelf life of diesel fuel?

If anyone is concerned about fuel contamination, get a small storage tank with a spin on fuel filter. It should be getting filtered at the gas station, but if not and/ or if one is concerned, you would be good.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Why make it hard?

Filter base with 3/4-16 threads, then a Wix 51515 filter...

Put between fuel tank and fuel pump,
Or
On your fuel transfer pump/hose...

We had terrible fuel in the sandbox,
I finally rigged a triple filter from the fuel tank to nozzle...

A shut off valve,
Then a filter base, with cheap economy filter, PH8a size
Then a water remover filter (Goldenrod I believe)
Then another filter base, with a premium filter, Wix 51515 Or XG8a...
Then the hose and nozzle...

First filter caught the crud, second the water, third caught anything the first two missed. Worked great...

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Why make it hard?

Filter base with 3/4-16 threads, then a Wix 51515 filter...

Put between fuel tank and fuel pump,
Or
On your fuel transfer pump/hose...

We had terrible fuel in the sandbox,
I finally rigged a triple filter from the fuel tank to nozzle...

A shut off valve,
Then a filter base, with cheap economy filter, PH8a size
Then a water remover filter (Goldenrod I believe)
Then another filter base, with a premium filter, Wix 51515 Or XG8a...
Then the hose and nozzle...

First filter caught the crud, second the water, third caught anything the first two missed. Worked great...

Soooooo, you are filtering diesel fuel using engine oil filters????

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Middle one is a fuel filter.

First filter was probably 45 microns, second and third were 15 microns...

It's all hydrocarbon chains, I use a Wix 33033 fuel filter for transmissions and power steering, too...

When your supply chain takes nine months to get you parts, you start scrounging.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
All of the filters you listed are 20 microns and there is a huge difference between a 20-micron fuel filter, a 20-micron engine oil filter, and a 20-micron transmission oil filter.
I have made a lot of money from people using a filter that screws right on!!!!!!!!

Shipwreck

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 Loader, Bradco Grapple Bucket, AE Brush hog, AE Box Blade, Rake
Dec 17, 2019
St Clair MI
Thank you. Can I keep the fuel I purchased this fall over the winter?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Shipwreck, yes you can use that fuel through out the winter. Simply purchase some diesel fuel winter treatment (as suggested) an put the appropriate amount in the fuel tank. If you purchase fuel in colder months it will already be treated, but some folks even add some more.