V1505 slow or sometimes no cold start

Walkenvol

Equipment
Astec 4260 ride on trencher with Kubota V1505 motor
Dec 15, 2019
Ooltewah, TN
New to the forum and have been reading / learning for hours already about many folks' starting issues which should help me diagnose my problem. I recently purchased a 2004 Astec (same as Case) RT460 ride on trencher. The machine starts when its not too cool outside and after warming a bit operates properly the best I can tell as I don't have any other experience with ride on trenchers. I also own a 2018 Kubota U035 excavator along with a 2014 Kubota KX018-4 so I have some Kubota diesel experience for comparison although I don't know how similar the 2014 4 cylinder motor operates compared to the newer 3 cylinder motors in the 2 excavators.

On the Astec, I'm trying to diagnose a slow start issue. Someone in its past has wired in a button to push to operate the glow plugs. I've got apx 11 volts at the GP's when the button is depressed. I'm thinking removal and bench testing the GP's would be a good first step to verify they're "glowing" properly. While they are out I'd also like to perform a compression test to check the internal health of the motor. I have an old cheap compression tester that doesn't include any adaptors that will allow me to hook it up to the GP holes. Can anyone advise on an affordable compression testing kit? There are some on Ebay in the $30 range but I've not got 5 posts yet required to link one.

Thanks in advance!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
New to the forum and have been reading / learning for hours already about many folks' starting issues which should help me diagnose my problem. I recently purchased a 2004 Astec (same as Case) RT460 ride on trencher. The machine starts when its not too cool outside and after warming a bit operates properly the best I can tell as I don't have any other experience with ride on trenchers. I also own a 2018 Kubota U035 excavator along with a 2014 Kubota KX018-4 so I have some Kubota diesel experience for comparison although I don't know how similar the 2014 4 cylinder motor operates compared to the newer 3 cylinder motors in the 2 excavators.

On the Astec, I'm trying to diagnose a slow start issue. Someone in its past has wired in a button to push to operate the glow plugs. I've got apx 11 volts at the GP's when the button is depressed. I'm thinking removal and bench testing the GP's would be a good first step to verify they're "glowing" properly. While they are out I'd also like to perform a compression test to check the internal health of the motor. I have an old cheap compression tester that doesn't include any adaptors that will allow me to hook it up to the GP holes. Can anyone advise on an affordable compression testing kit? There are some on Ebay in the $30 range but I've not got 5 posts yet required to link one.

Thanks in advance!
You can get a cheap compression tester at Harbor Freight too, Ebay probably has the same types too. ;)

Check the circuit for the glow plugs, it should be feed pushing the glow plug switch (or what was the key in reverse) and it should get power feed when it's cranking.