Found this while mowing

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Was out at the farm doing more mowing, clearing, and cleaning up and came across this, which I believe to be an old hay rake. Pulled it from the brush/weeds and relocated it. Going to have to ask dad about it and see what he remembers about it.

Attachments

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Was out at the farm doing more mowing, clearing, and cleaning up and came across this, which I believe to be an old hay rake. Pulled it from the brush/weeds and relocated it. Going to have to ask dad about it and see what he remembers about it.
Ground driven side discharge rake.

JD, I believe.

SDT

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Looks a lot like the JD I used to use when I was a kid. Caster wheels look a little different, but everything else is how I remember it.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Looks a lot like the JD I used to use when I was a kid. Caster wheels look a little different, but everything else is how I remember it.
LOL...I was thinking the same thing! Musta been popular back in the day.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My guess is that the last time it was used would of been in the 90's. I don't remember putting up in any hay after grandpa died (2003).

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Most of them have gone to just 2 wheels in the back though. They both worked just fine in the field, but those little caster wheels in the back would go nuts on you going down the road if you didn't slow it way down.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
It has the 4 wheels because it most likely was built to be pulled by horses. With the coming of the tractor the tongue was shorten and a hitch fashioned that would fit onto the drawbar of the tractor.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
It has the 4 wheels because it most likely was built to be pulled by horses. With the coming of the tractor the tongue was shorten and a hitch fashioned that would fit onto the drawbar of the tractor.
Before I was around, grandpa farmed with horses. The old bridles (believe that is the term) that he would hook the horses up with still hangs in the barn.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Before I was around, grandpa farmed with horses. The old bridles (believe that is the term) that he would hook the horses up with still hangs in the barn.
Are you talking about part of the harness for the horses, which might be bridles or are you talking about the single or double trees that the horse is hooked onto in order to pull something?

Sounds like you ought to ask your dad what else is parked around the farm. There might be something else that is interesting.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Are you talking about part of the harness for the horses, which might be bridles or are you talking about the single or double trees that the horse is hooked onto in order to pull something?

Sounds like you ought to ask your dad what else is parked around the farm. There might be something else that is interesting.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.
Is a bunch of old leather stuff hanging from the rafters, sadly since it hasn't been taken care of, it is bad shape. If I can remember, I can try to get a picture next time I'm out there. Dad said it was what grandpa used to hook up his team of horses with, which was WAY before my time because I never remember them having any horses.

So far I have found a manure scoop that hooked to the three point (found with my bucket when I heard a metal clunk). Found a 7 ft straight blade, a post hole digger, and some other piece of farm equipment I haven't got cleared out yet so not sure what it is. When I find stuff, I'm moving it to a location that we have cleared so dad can figure out what it is and then I will know where it is at.

On our first day of mowing, dad found an old wagon that had become over grown. We haven't recovered that yet, waiting for cold weather to kill off some of the stuff and then we will work on trying to pull it out. He thinks there is another old wagon in there some where.

It is like Christmas every time we mow a new area. Sadly, I will admit that I don't know what all the stuff is used for, but dad usually does. The disc he now has on his tractor was buried in the brush/weeds and we got it uncovered with all the clearing we have been doing. He is now using it as a counter weight on his tractor and actually disced some of the areas we have been clearing.

Attachments

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
We found the old hay cutter (pictured below). We moved it over next to the hay rake.
We have one of those in our pasture. My grandpa had similar taste in equipment.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Dang I wish I lived a little closer. I would come to help you mow just to see what else there is to find.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Dang I wish I lived a little closer. I would come to help you mow just to see what else there is to find.
Mowing is fun never knowing what you will find next. At some point we are going to have to start clearing out the barns and the out buildings and see what we find in them.

I was looking in the barn that my dad has his MF383 parked in it and there was a bunch of small buildings. Got looking closer and asked my dad was this a bunch of miniature golf buildings? Sure enough, when a local mini-golf place had went out of business they got all the 18 hole setup and buildings.

Why in the world grandpa or dad would want that? Neither ever golfed or mini-golfed in their lives that I know of. So at some point going to have to clear out the mini-golf course to make room for other stuff.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Depending on the condition of the leather items you can sometimes get them back to a previous state by cleaning/soaking them with neatsfoot oil. Might be nice to save some of the harnesses as a remembrance to your grandfather and the past.