running out of fuel NOT empty

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
my tractor was running badly, missing like it was starving for fuel. i looked in the fuel tank, down but not empty. i refueled the tractor, topped it off. i had a 6 gallon fuel can almost full. when i was done fueling the fuel can was still about 1/2 full...... probably put 2.5-3 gallons in the tank. the tractor runs as it should again. how do we explain this? i know the tractor is supposed to have a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, if it really truly was running out it should have swallowed the entire can and wouldn't be completely full. what gives?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
There are several fuel-delivery issues possible.

Different Kubota tractor models are prone to different problems.

I would start by asking what model tractor?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Diesel engines are not like gasoline engines, if you ran it low enough to suck air it just flat dies, it normally won't stumble or cut out.

It probably has a restriction like something in the tank possibly algae.

Or possibly it has one or both of the fuel filters clogged.

How many hours are on it and when was the last time the filters were changed?

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
i changed all fluids and filters except the fuel filters. i planned on doing the fuel filters at the end of the mowing season before winter. i find it strange that the problem went completely away after i refueled the tractor.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
i changed all fluids and filters except the fuel filters. i planned on doing the fuel filters at the end of the mowing season before winter. i find it strange that the problem went completely away after i refueled the tractor.
I would suspect something plugged the tank outlet and when you filled it it stirred up the fuel in the tank. How long have you ran it since the problem?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Something you may want to check is the vent on the fuel cap. I know that if it seals tightly it can allow a vacuum to be created when the engine is running.
Next time it happens, if it does...remove the cap and see if it makes a difference.
The smallest things can be a big deal with engines.
Fuel, air, combustion all in the right order seems simple.....but easily missed.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
On many tractors, a lot of fuel can be delivered by gravity to the injection pump when on level ground and high level in the fuel tank.

As the fuel level starts dropping and/or the tractor is climbing a slope, suddenly gravity is not able to deliver the fuel and the pump is needed. Pump not working and you are in trouble.

Look at your fuel systems geometry and decide if this could apply.

Dave

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
my tractor was running badly, missing like it was starving for fuel. i looked in the fuel tank, down but not empty. i refueled the tractor, topped it off. i had a 6 gallon fuel can almost full. when i was done fueling the fuel can was still about 1/2 full...... probably put 2.5-3 gallons in the tank. the tractor runs as it should again. how do we explain this? i know the tractor is supposed to have a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, if it really truly was running out it should have swallowed the entire can and wouldn't be completely full. what gives?
ad356,

As a BX2350 owner, I would suggest that you FIRST check to verify that the Fuel pump is running AND delivering fuel to the injector pump. SECOND, VERIFY that the fuel tank vent in the cap is working. If both are working, then you most likely have junk in the tank from a corroded fuel sender unit that is partially blocking the fuel outlet. Adding fuel probably stirred it up enough to work again. (Don't ask me how I know about these things.)

By the way, I love my BX, and wwouldn't trade for anything else. Best of luck finding and fixing your problem.

Dave

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Does your tractor have an electric "lift pump" which moves the fuel from the tank to the engine?

If this "lift pump" fails, it may run with a full tank... but as the tank gets low, the engine is not able to suck fuel uphill.

It is usually pretty easy to verify if the "lift pump" is working.... turn key to ON but do not start engine.... the "lift pump" should be making noise as it runs.

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
key on, engine off you can hear a fast ticking sound. im guessing that's the lift pump? how do you verify proper operation? its not like a car where you can check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. im guessing run the tractor down until it runs badly, disconnect fuel line and see what the flow looks like?

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
May be talking out of turn as I am new to the Kubota world. Both my Fords have a screen in the fuel tank sticking above the fuel outlet. If junk clogs the lower part of the screen it will run out of fuel before the tank is empty.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
key on, engine off you can hear a fast ticking sound. im guessing that's the lift pump? how do you verify proper operation? its not like a car where you can check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. im guessing run the tractor down until it runs badly, disconnect fuel line and see what the flow looks like?
Take the hose off at the engine and put it in a fuel can.
Turn on but not start.
Like bleeding the lines.
It should pump out quite a bit.

Ray

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
ad - plan on replacing both fuel filters.

Start with the one nearest the tank. It's between tank and lift pump.

When you pull the fuel line off the inlet side of that first filter, let the fuel run out to see if there's a good stream out of the tank.

If there's not, you know you have a possible tank issue.

If flows good, proceed to replace both filters.

If that doesn't fix it, come back to look at electric lift pump. That can be checked by turning the key with fuel line off inlet side of front filter to see if there are low pressure pulses of fuel coming out.

Edit:... Ray has another way to get there also, which is fine. I just figured I'd start with filters. Either way is good.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: