BX2350 HST Fan replacement help

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Gents, my new to me BX2350 has a missing fan blade on the HST. I have the factory workshop manual but its not helping me much besides showing me a picture. I ordered new fan (among other things) and would like to replace.

Has anyone gone through this, can you share any tips or pointers?

first tractor, im totally guessing here, but I think I remove the bolts at the front coupling, then can yank the whole (propeller) shaft out to get to the fan?

(tried searching but "HST and fan" were too short to qualify)

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
well instead of using the forum search feature i used google and found the many many threads on this, boy it looks like im in for a treat :(

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep it's a workout, requires you to pull the motor forward to change the fan. ;)

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Thank you for that video that was the first I saw of that particular trick with the bolt at the 8 ock position. I will give that a try.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I believe there are aftermarket under body protection plates available that you may want to look into for your machine.
Semi related, I installed a custom plate to protect the 3rd function hydraulic hoses on my L4060. Money well spent IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Bxpanded makes a skid plate. Will be ordering that and installing before I put this machine into service for sure

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
not sure how different the 50 series is from the older BX23, but I had to remove the seat and floor to replace the fan. There was enough room to swap out the fan without sliding the engine forward.

The whole thing was roughly a 2 hour job, but quite simple.

And yes, after that I got a set of skidplates from BroTeck

smittydog27

Equipment
L3901DT, MX5200DT, Case 450, 1450 dozers, Case 530 const. king backhoe/loader
Dec 11, 2018
Huntington
FWIW....I asked my dealer about replacing the fan...he advised it's not worth it. (labor costs, etc). Talked to a couple of other owners that didn't replace fans either, said they had no overheating issues on the tranny.

Used for brushcutting, grappling brush.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Here is a brief walk through of HST fan on BX2350. During my searches I did not find any write ups for this model. Pauls video on youtube was close, but not exact for this one. It was the most helpful video though.

I got this done yesterday, sort of, I ended up bending my drive shaft after finishing it, so as long as you're not a bone head like me, it should be a one time affair, install a skid plate and you'll never have to do it again.

After viewing every youtube video, and reading every thread until my eyes bled, I opted to do it from the top. I wanted the extra room to work and didnt want to drill a hole through the deck. I don't think on the older bx, doing it from the bottom is even possible. Time to remove all the upper panels is only around 45 minutes for a first timer.

- Open hood, remove engine side shroud, unplug headlights and detach loom from support brace.
- Remove the bolts that hold the entire hood bracket on, they are attached at the front frame, should be 6x 15mm bolts. remove the entire thing set aside.

- Seat comes out with one pin. Remove floor mat, remove foot deck by unbolting its bolts, and orienting deck up and away from pedals. - I had to remove plastic hydraulic covers under the battery box, just a few bolts.

- Remove rear fender body by unplugging wires going to rops, and tail lights. -Remove ROPs, remove knobs (yank them off), remove bolt under fenders that go to rear grab handles. Use care these 'nuts' are cast into the plastic. Mine were stuck, I used a cutting wheel and cut handle (ordered new handle set, not expensive). - Fender will come off.

I was glad I did it this way because the amount of nastiness was real. I got to cleaning.

- You can remove the 3 bolts that attach the front drive shaft CV to the crank. On older models without the removable coupler between the shaft and crank, you are out of room, and need to move the engine forward...

- Undo the 4x 10mm bolts that hold the radiator shroud around the fan. Two on each side, on the right side one of them just above the lower hose. The two top ones have heads that are secured by the under dash frame. If you got the right ones the whole radiator and baffle will be loose, make sure it can lift up out of the rubber feet on bottom.

- Remove front engine mounts bolts, top and bottom, very easy to access. - Remove rear left upper engine mount bolt, remove rear right upper engine mount bolt, note it has two grounding straps, and remove the grounding strap on the right side frame that is below the starter, it has two wires going to it. - Raise engine slightly, so it can move forward a few inches.

- Spin shaft to access the bolt allowing shaft to be freed from rear, it will slide froward about 3 inches off the splined HST shaft.

That's really about it, you can change the fan. Dont over tighten fan bolts or the vertical one. The vertical bolt that goes back onto the shaft, there should be a flat spot on the HST splines where the bolt will align, my machine did not have this flat spot.

- Put engine back, and shroud, dont forget the ground straps, make sure radiator is seated back into its rubber feet.

I wrapped rubber pad around the shaft and put a vice grip on it so it wouldnt spin when I reattached the front coupling. Remove vice grips, put stuff back.

I liked doing it from the top, you have lots of room to work, and there was so much crap caked in there it gave me a chance to clean, and replace other miscellaneous items (fan belt ect).

I then started the tractor with the clamps on the middle of the drive shaft, and bent it, so I will be doing this a second time when the new shaft arrives.

older machines do not have the second 3 bolt coupler :(

Deck off

Cleaner

hooking up motor

Hood bracket removed, engine moved forward and up a few inches, this is all you need. Now there is room to work in the back

old fan

together

Last edited:

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Nice write up! And nice clean up, too. So sorry you have to do it twice--I'd have bashed my head against the wall when I realized I left the clamp there. (I've done similar on other projects.)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That fan had been patched up previously by someone that didn't want to take the time to do it right! :eek:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Going deeper while I wait for parts to arrive. I think the shipping guy at Messicks expects my daily order and has my address memorized by now.

Most of the parts should trickle in over the next two weeks. I think this has morphed from "fix a few things" into a full on restoration. The machine has 700 hours on it, was in overall "good" condition, but as you start peeling back the layers, there are always little things that catch your eye to address.

Last edited:

ELWOOD WATSON

Mar 8, 2017
poultney VT
Gents, my new to me BX2350 has a missing fan blade on the HST. I have the factory workshop manual but its not helping me much besides showing me a picture. I ordered new fan (among other things) and would like to replace.

Has anyone gone through this, can you share any tips or pointers?

first tractor, im totally guessing here, but I think I remove the bolts at the front coupling, then can yank the whole (propeller) shaft out to get to the fan?

(tried searching but "HST and fan" were too short to qualify)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You might want to see if the 'fan guard' for the BX23S will fit on your BX2350.
My 2018 BX23S has the guard and fan is still intact after 930+ hrs of real use in 4 years.

part is K277121220 HST FAN COVER

BTW you have the same fan as me.....

Last edited:

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
My 2021 BX2380 has a small metal shroud just under the fan. Do earlier models not have that feature?
Regardless, I've installed a BXpanded skid plate just to be safe(er).

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if (IF ) there was enough money in it, a guy with a 3D printer could design/make a 2 piece replacement, that'd be simple to install from underneath in 1/2 hr or less.
I see the real fan is $12 CDN so no real savings in the plastic... it's the LABOUR that's be saved.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
My 2021 BX2380 has a small metal shroud just under the fan.

Do earlier models not have that feature?