B6000 making metal in the oil

wisc6000

Equipment
B6000
Nov 20, 2011
Wisconsin under duress
A couple years ago I went into the B6000 engine as it did the predictable spit the plug out of the cam shaft thing. I made steel plugs, pressed them in and put a little weld bead on them.

At the same time I put rings and rod bearings in it as the compression on one cylinder was a bit low. I also touched up the valve seats with a lap in.

Since the work and ~50 hours, the magnet on the oil screen has been picking up fine ferrous particles. Any gurus have an idea as to where it's originating?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A couple years ago I went into the B6000 engine as it did the predictable spit the plug out of the cam shaft thing. I made steel plugs, pressed them in and put a little weld bead on them.

At the same time I put rings and rod bearings in it as the compression on one cylinder was a bit low. I also touched up the valve seats with a lap in.

Since the work and ~50 hours, the magnet on the oil screen has been picking up fine ferrous particles. Any gurus have an idea as to where it's originating?
If the metal is super fine, then probably ring wear or cylinder wear, especially if they were too tight on the install.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
..Since the work and ~50 hours, the magnet on the oil screen has been picking up fine ferrous particles. Any gurus have an idea as to where it's originating?
It's most likely coming from inside the engine somewhere.
:p
(Sorry...couldn't resist. Hope it's minor wear-in.)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A drain oil analysis will tell you exactly what the composition of the particles are or run it until it pukes

wisc6000

Equipment
B6000
Nov 20, 2011
Wisconsin under duress
Oh oh,, I think it's rip into it time.

I mowed with it today and when hot the oil pressure is down to 20 psi. It was 30 for the past year and previously it was 50.
Any tips and tricks to help the rebuild?

Has anyone done a modification to incorporate a full flow oil filter? There's just something about the original rock strainer that they refer to as a filter that irritates me.

Last edited:

wisc6000

Equipment
B6000
Nov 20, 2011
Wisconsin under duress
I'm going through the parts list and have a question on main and rod bearings. They're not shown as standard or undersize, only #1 or #2. Any of the gurus know if Size 2 is undersize and by what amount. .25mm? Same with crank thrust bearings.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm going through the parts list and have a question on main and rod bearings. They're not shown as standard or undersize, only #1 or #2. Any of the gurus know if Size 2 is undersize and by what amount. .25mm? Same with crank thrust bearings.
For a build you would need #1 and #2 they are different bearings or different halfs, of one bearing, none of them are oversized.

They do not list any oversized stock bearings for that model engine stock.

So did it spin a main or a rod bearing?

If it spun a bearing and scared the crank your probably going to need a new crank. :(

wisc6000

Equipment
B6000
Nov 20, 2011
Wisconsin under duress
Thanks Wolf.
It runs ok but as the post title says it's making metal and the oil pressure when hot is down to 20 psi. 80 psi cold.

Looking at the parts list it shows two bearing sets say for the mains. 1 and 2. Each set has a different part number hence my assumption one set is undersize.

I'm looking for a definition of the different part numbers for the shells.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks Wolf.
It runs ok but as the post title says it's making metal and the oil pressure when hot is down to 20 psi. 80 psi cold.

Looking at the parts list it shows two bearing sets say for the mains. 1 and 2. Each set has a different part number hence my assumption one set is undersize.

I'm looking for a definition of the different part numbers for the shells.
They are very vague in the parts description department, all I can say is 1 and 2 are different bearings in different locations on the crank, or they are halves of a pair. ;)

Tear into it and find out what it is then go from there.
Is there any chance your gauge or sending unit might be lying to you?

wisc6000

Equipment
B6000
Nov 20, 2011
Wisconsin under duress
Pressure gauge is good. I'm now searching for an engine manual for the ZL600 engine but not having any luck.

I do see that Stavros in Cyprus does list aftermarket bottom end and rod bearings in .25 and .50mm undersizes.

Cmon,, pull an engine manual out of your pocket! Of course I'll need the dimensions and clearances for the shop to grind the crank to. I'm assuming the crank is worn as the metal on the magnet is a very fine particle size.

According to a spec sheet I found somewhere on the web the mains measure 1.9659" or 49.93mm. Assuming the bearing insets have a 50mm bore diameter that will present a clearance of .07mm or .1778" which sounds about right.

wisc6000

Equipment
B6000
Nov 20, 2011
Wisconsin under duress
It's all down with some expected crank wear although not too bad considering the joke that is considered an oil filter. It's out getting reground for .25 bearings on mains and rods. Parts are filtering in with liners pistons, oil pump body etc. Injectors are at a diesel shop for new nozzles etc.

I have a question on the pistons. There are no markings on them whatsoever other than internally with the manufacturers name IZUMI on one skirt boss and likely the die number 6 on the other. Can I assume they can be put in either way? Do they have offset pins which must be oriented correctly?

Attachments

bakeroldfolks2

Jan 3, 2017
Boron California USA
Hey guy, can you send me a picture of the pilot hole for the crank? I need one to show the machine shop what it is supposed to be. Mine has been bored out to almost 1 1/2 in.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Are you certain it isn't just a worn pilot bearing your looking at?

They typically are pull out and replaced when doing clutch work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey guy, can you send me a picture of the pilot hole for the crank? I need one to show the machine shop what it is supposed to be. Mine has been bored out to almost 1 1/2 in.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk
Just get a stock bearing / bushing for them to use as a reference to repair it. ;)