Off-road diesel?

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
I know where I can purchase some. It's diesel that's sold without road tax. Since my bx is only doing yard work I think I might run it. I don't believe it's ultra low sulfer. Is that good or bad for these engines?

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I know where I can purchase some. It's diesel that's sold without road tax. Since my bx is only doing yard work I think I might run it. I don't believe it's ultra low sulfer. Is that good or bad for these engines?

It’s fine. The operator manual recommends an accelerated oil change schedule if you don’t run ultra low sulfur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I, and many others, use off-road diesel in my bx.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Since 2014, all U.S. diesel is required to be ultra low sulfur, regardless of whether it's on-road or off-road. It should be the same as what you get a regular pump, but with the addition of red dye.

Source: https://www.epa.gov/diesel-fuel-standards/diesel-fuel-standards-and-rulemakings

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Whether you use "on road" or "off road" is it exactly the same fuel with the exception of the dye (and cost of the road tax). You are safe using it in a diesel engine that is NOT operated on public highways.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As Jack said.... ALL diesel is ULS......

the label may be an old one that is not correct.

Really makes no sense NOT to use off road diesel......same stuff, add a little dye and save about 50 cents a gallon:D;)

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
It's the same stuff, dyed red and minus the road tax. If you get caught with the red stuff in your on-highway vehicle, it's a big fine. The color is the only difference.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
If you choose to run off road diesel in your PU, the best place to get caught is the local sale barn. The Highway Patrol knows that's a concentration of trucks that have easy access to non-taxed fuel, so it's easy pickins for them.

Just like the local city police going through Wal-Mart parking lot looking for license plates with out of date tags.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Whether you use "on road" or "off road" is it exactly the same fuel with the exception of the dye (and cost of the road tax). You are safe using it in a diesel engine that is NOT operated on public highways.
The way it was described to me by the Minnesota Department of Revenue, is that as long as whatever it is that you put the off road diesel in, is not licenced by the State of Minnesota, it can be used and driven on any public road. He even told me I could drive my tractor to town with no concern. Being licenced by the State was the key factor.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Here in NY you can run anything in your tractor on the road, but you need an SMV triangle and are limited to a 25mph speed limit.

Doesn't matter what I put in it I use Power Service White and Stanadyne. Have never had a problem and mine's a late 80s tier 0 engine.

Last edited:

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
All I use is off road, and it all goes through my Mr. Funnel. Before I got the filtered funnel I had gotten some that had water in it, so of course it froze up my fuel filter while I was out plowing snow. I don’t buy fuel from that place anymore, and I filter every drop before it gets into my tractor.

Jerry.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The way it was described to me by the Minnesota Department of Revenue, is that as long as whatever it is that you put the off road diesel in, is not licenced by the State of Minnesota, it can be used and driven on any public road. He even told me I could drive my tractor to town with no concern. Being licenced by the State was the key factor.
I believe that's pretty universal,..if the vehicle is registered for the street then it must use taxed fuel. Farm equipment and off-road vehicles are allowed on street/hwy using dyed-diesel as long as other restrictions are met (example is an RTV. In Tx an RTV may NOT be on the public roadways...UNLESS the operator is "a farmer or rancher". (Imagine that! Only other restriction is within 25 miles of the farm/ranch. I have no idea how they determine if you are a farmer or rancher. I run a fire-ant ranch and have an armadillo-herd.)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
GeoHorn, same farm rules for young drivers. As long as it's farm use 15 year olds have no problem. They just put some junk brake shoes or something in the back of the PU and there's no questions asked. They can be on a date and just tell the officer, I'm on my way to the parts store!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I believe that's pretty universal,..if the vehicle is registered for the street then it must use taxed fuel. Farm equipment and off-road vehicles are allowed on street/hwy using dyed-diesel as long as other restrictions are met (example is an RTV. In Tx an RTV may NOT be on the public roadways...UNLESS the operator is "a farmer or rancher". (Imagine that! Only other restriction is within 25 miles of the farm/ranch. I have no idea how they determine if you are a farmer or rancher. I run a fire-ant ranch and have an armadillo-herd.)
Same here, I 'road' my equipment all the time. In fact, last year a Michigan State Trooper stopped me, wanted to check out my new round baler.

Here, if it's licensed for the road and diesel, it better have non dyed diesel in the tank. Every LE out here carries a clear neoprene hose for dipping fuel tanks and the fine is $1000.00 first offense, $5K for the second. That is a helluva lot of fuel.

Here, yiou cannot ride a quad or RTV on a public roadway, farmer or not. Everyone does it howevere, no LE says anything so long as the operator isn't acting stupid.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma

LOL. Thats got to be some interesting feed and vet bills to turn in on your taxes :)

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
I've been using the dyed diesel in my L4310 ever since I got it. It's around 2 bux a gallon here in Montana